Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

I've seen this posted from a "aren't the Tories awful" angle but I think it's a bit more subtle than that and is a good piece on how we've got to where we are, and perhaps prompts the old grey matter to think where we might go from here.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/04/01/what-have-fourteen-years-of-conservative-rule-done-to-britain

Not intended for a UK audience which I think says quite a lot. I don't think there's anything in here that's new to me but it's rare to see something that sums up the whole period. It ALMOST made me see Dominic Cummings more sympathetically, so proceed with caution

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Drove down south and back over the weekend, the roads are just an absolute disgrace it’s literally like being in a third world country. And what gets me is the cobblestone that’s underneath many of these roads is absolutely fine. It’s like they use 80% sand and 20% tarmac, even all the A roads are absolutely buggered, it’s a joke, and with all the councils going bust it will only get worse.

5 hours ago, Lionator said:

I just feel sorry for the people of Syria having to endure this never ending proxy war, it’s about 13 years now I believe. 

yeah, it was always going to bite Syria on the bum, getting Iran involved..

13 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Drove down south and back over the weekend, the roads are just an absolute disgrace it’s literally like being in a third world country. And what gets me is the cobblestone that’s underneath many of these roads is absolutely fine. It’s like they use 80% sand and 20% tarmac, even all the A roads are absolutely buggered, it’s a joke, and with all the councils going bust it will only get worse.

It's horrendous. 

Worst I've seen for where I am in ages. Massive ones appearing too. 

They do all the roadworks throughout the year but it does seem like they don't use appropriate long-term fixes. Instead they just have to repair them and relay roads every year. Guess the cuts for councils as you say means they can't invest in the long term solutions. 

16 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've seen this posted from a "aren't the Tories awful" angle but I think it's a bit more subtle than that and is a good piece on how we've got to where we are, and perhaps prompts the old grey matter to think where we might go from here.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/04/01/what-have-fourteen-years-of-conservative-rule-done-to-britain

Not intended for a UK audience which I think says quite a lot. I don't think there's anything in here that's new to me but it's rare to see something that sums up the whole period. It ALMOST made me see Dominic Cummings more sympathetically, so proceed with caution

Thanks - a very good piece, albeit not a particularly cheering one. The section covering the impact of years of spending cuts might be of interest to those complaining about the state of the roads elsewhere on this page.  I tend to agree with Cummings' view that the political class is in a state of complete paralysis over Brexit. This sentence towards the end of the piece sums things up fairly neatly: "It is unnerving to be heading into an election year in Britain with the political conversation so small, next to questions that can feel immeasurable."

19 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Thanks - a very good piece, albeit not a particularly cheering one. The section covering the impact of years of spending cuts might be of interest to those complaining about the state of the roads elsewhere on this page.  I tend to agree with Cummings' view that the political class is in a state of complete paralysis over Brexit. This sentence towards the end of the piece sums things up fairly neatly: "It is unnerving to be heading into an election year in Britain with the political conversation so small, next to questions that can feel immeasurable."

Cummings' quotes in this piece are as incoherent as his tweets

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

We're all doomed.

He has to call one by October I think, or whenever it was Johnson had his Brexit election in 2019. So judging by his party's record and his own, that's wishful thinking things will improve before he has to call an election.

17 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

He has to call one by October I think, or whenever it was Johnson had his Brexit election in 2019. So judging by his party's record and his own, that's wishful thinking things will improve before he has to call an election.

January 28th is the latest a GE can take place, but there has to be 25 working days in the lead up.  Given that would encompass the festive period, it's highly unlikely it will be that late.  I would think October would be sensible.  All the MPs will be back after summer recess in September so can get going on it then.

Sunak will want to wait as long as possible.  Interest rates possibly falling in the summer, some nice weather and maybe a scandal or two involving Labour MPs might soften the public enough to not leave the Tories facing complete obliteration.  It's a damage limitation exercise, everyone knows he/they will be moving out of 10 Downing Street.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nnfox said:

January 28th is the latest a GE can take place, but there has to be 25 working days in the lead up.  Given that would encompass the festive period, it's highly unlikely it will be that late.  I would think October would be sensible.  All the MPs will be back after summer recess in September so can get going on it then.

Sunak will want to wait as long as possible.  Interest rates possibly falling in the summer, some nice weather and maybe a scandal or two involving Labour MPs might soften the public enough to not leave the Tories facing complete obliteration.  It's a damage limitation exercise, everyone knows he/they will be moving out of 10 Downing Street.

Don't know why I had October in my head, completely forgot how close the 2019 one was to Christmas.

8 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Don't know why I had October in my head, completely forgot how close the 2019 one was to Christmas.

I think Jeremy Hunt hinted at an October election in the press a week or so ago.  Nothing official though.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

We're all doomed.

It’s interesting when you say ‘ we’re all doomed’.  My son has Austism and his new phrase that he says randomly is “ we’re all going to die!” Which is kind of funny at times especially if he’s at school or we take him to the playground… not so much when we take him to see his great grandma in the nursing home..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I think that when a party wins two or more consecutive terms of office, often complacency, contempt and disregard for the electorate can creep in to the way they govern and policies they enact. 

Of course it is a democratic system so if a party is re elected, so be it.

However, I wonder if a second term should be restricted to 4, or even 3 years? If they are elected for a 3rd consecutive term that too should be for 3 years.

I feel that may focus their attention more on what is good for the country as a whole and not just implement a strategy that favours their traditional voters.

I can’t help but think all this talk of ‘the tories are going to be all but wiped out’ at the next election are massively premature. Where I work now in the public sector everyone is already talking about what might change/what to be prepared for with the new incoming government. I’ll just believe it when I see it, they always poll worse than the reality, because people never vote Tory do they, yet they keep winning elections.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Spin it effectively and the suckers will start to believe.

They all do it, to a greater or lesser effect.

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I can’t help but think all this talk of ‘the tories are going to be all but wiped out’ at the next election are massively premature. Where I work now in the public sector everyone is already talking about what might change/what to be prepared for with the new incoming government. I’ll just believe it when I see it, they always poll worse than the reality, because people never vote Tory do they, yet they keep winning elections.

The polls are generally accurate currently in the context of bi-elections. They are absolutely on to get wiped out and it’s hard to see that changing.

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

A Labour landslide, greater than 1997 is on the cards. 

I've been saying for ages now that it is Labour's victory to lose given all the sleaze, lies and shenanigans from the current mob.

The trouble for me is that once Labour is in power will they do any better?

It is so easy to shout and berate from the sidelines and a completely different job once in Office.

26 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

A Labour landslide, greater than 1997 is on the cards. 

I've been saying for ages now that it is Labour's victory to lose given all the sleaze, lies and shenanigans from the current mob.

The trouble for me is that once Labour is in power will they do any better?

It is so easy to shout and berate from the sidelines and a completely different job once in Office.

I mean they can’t possibly do any worse can they.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I mean they can’t possibly do any worse can they.

Well, I do remember the last time back in 2010 and the "cupboard is bare" note they left behind.