Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

Well what a very  bizarre ‘attack’ by Iran. Slow, predicted and  dealt with.

It’s almost as if this attack was intended to appease  those in Iran who have been baying for blood since the general was killed.

iranian tv has been showing old footage of explosions that didn’t even happen in Israel to show the ‘damage’ they have done with this drone attack. 

they are definitely hoping this is the end of the matter but noise coming out of Israel is that they are going to respond!!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MPH said:

Well what a very  bizarre ‘attack’ by Iran. Slow, predicted and  dealt with.

It’s almost as if this attack was intended to appease  those in Iran who have been baying for blood since the general was killed.

iranian tv has been showing old footage of explosions that didn’t even happen in Israel to show the ‘damage’ they have done with this drone attack. 

they are definitely hoping this is the end of the matter but noise coming out of Israel is that they are going to respond!!!

I really hope that the US and UK still have some influence over netanyahu. As I would have e thought that they would suggest heavy restraint and call the matter closed. But I have e a horrible feeling he's going rogue

Interesting that with US and UK fighters involved in shooting down the attack, no one has moaned about it from the area. It all seems, from an untrained eye as very co-ordinated in a odd way. 

Edited by fox_favourite

58 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I really hope that the US and UK still have some influence over netanyahu. As I would have e thought that they would suggest heavy restraint and call the matter closed. But I have e a horrible feeling he's going rogue

Interesting that with US and UK fighters involved in shooting down the attack, no one has moaned about it from the area. It all seems, from an untrained eye as very co-ordinated in an odd way. 

Nah he’s gonna go in once and for all here now. Maybe not Iran but you can defo see him doing to Hezbollah/Lebanon what he’s done to Gaza. Knows his iron dome is great too. Sickening  

41 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I'm a bit confused. So Hamas attacks Israel and Israel is allowed to retaliate and we and the US support this. Israel attack Iran, Iran retaliate and we and the US condemn this? Isn't this just hypocritical? Genuine question and would be great to hear what people here who have extensive knowledge of the situation think? 

Yes it's hypocritical, but it's how international alliances work. Israel is our ally; Iran certainly is not. It is in our interests to support Israel in this situation so we will do so. Whether it's hypocritical or not is way down on the list of priorities of those who make these decisions.

Whatever your view is on whether Iran had the right to attack Israel, there is no doubt that they launched those missiles in full knowledge that it would legitimise a direct retaliation from Israel. They're inviting an attack. It's a calculated escalation. This is a very dangerous moment - it's not an exaggeration to say that right now we're probably closer to a Third World War than at any time since the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Edited by ClaphamFox

I think it's a mix of

- strong links between Iran, Hamas and a bunch of other terrorist organisations

- Iran is about as stable as jelly on a boat

- people don't generally like Iran because of all the awful things they do to their own people through groups such as the morality police, which have led to uprisings within

- Iran's nuclear programme and relationship with Russia

In short - nobody really likes Iran. 

1 hour ago, hejammy said:

I'm a bit confused. So Hamas attacks Israel and Israel is allowed to retaliate and we and the US support this. Israel attack Iran, Iran retaliate and we and the US condemn this? Isn't this just hypocritical? Genuine question and would be great to hear what people here who have extensive knowledge of the situation think? 

I wonder if there was a message in Iran’s response last night. They could have sent a couple of cruise missiles towards Israeli bases and would have known they’d be taken out . But they involved themselves in an ‘over reaction’ to what was essentially several of its top generals being assassinated in Damascus.  (And as mentioned last week in this thread, there is talk that one of those was involved in oct 7 planning -  The Israelis have not admitted that they carried out the attack so they can hardly put forward and justification for it.)

Were the Iranians effectively making a comment on how they view Israel’s response to oct 7  in Gaza  ?  

you also need to appreciate that Israel (and much of the west) views Hezbollah, houthis and Hamas as being mouthpieces of Iran.  They would say that Iran has been attacking Israel every day for the last six months +

there is already a cycle of daily retaliation ongoing by proxy (apr 1 and last night were more direct examples) 

my main point this morning is that Israel has for decades been the military strongman in the region (principly due to it being the only nuclear power but not exclusively).  no state would directly challenge it - instead doing so as Iran has done via proxies.  To allow this level of attack from Iran to go unanswered would not fit with the image of  netenyahu’s govt. it will be interesting to see just how they respond.  is this all part of a planned dance between two govts who need the war to continue for their own ends?  Whatever the response from Israel, that won’t tell us much because there are explanations available for all levels of reaction. 

Edited by st albans fox

57 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Yes it's hypocritical, but it's how international alliances work. Israel is our ally; Iran certainly is not. It is in our interests to support Israel in this situation so we will do so. Whether it's hypocritical or not is way down on the list of priorities of those who make these decisions.

Whatever your view is on whether Iran had the right to attack Israel, there is no doubt that they launched those missiles in full knowledge that it would legitimise a direct retaliation from Israel. They're inviting an attack. It's a calculated escalation. This is a very dangerous moment - it's not an exaggeration to say that right now we're probably closer to a Third World War than at any time since the Cuban Missile Crisis.

This I find very interesting. What makes Israel our alley? What does Israel actually do for the UK? Who decides on who is an ally and who is not and under what criteria? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hejammy said:

This I find very interesting. What makes Israel our alley? What does Israel actually do for the UK? Who decides on who is an ally and who is not and under what criteria? 

Israel is a functioning democracy (albeit an imperfect one) surrounded by undemocratic theocracies of varying levels of stability. Democracies tend to be allies - wars between democratic countries are very rare. Iran is a deeply repressive regime that allies itself with Russia. 

Allying ourselves with other democratic countries may mean sometimes tolerating behaviour from some of those countries that many reasonable people may find objectionable. But realpolitik dictates that pragmatic considerations usually override ethical ones. 

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Israel is a functioning democracy (albeit an imperfect one) surrounded by undemocratic theocracies of varying levels of stability. Democracies tend to be allies - wars between democratic countries are very rare. Iran is a deeply repressive regime that allies itself with Russia. 

Allying ourselves with other democratic countries may mean sometimes tolerating behaviour from some of those countries that many reasonable people may find objectionable. But realpolitik dictates that pragmatic considerations usually override ethical ones. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/30/israel-hasnt-been-a-democracy-for-a-long-time-now-israelis-need-to-face-this-fact

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Based on what? We’ve seen the proxy wars all the time since 1945. There is no appetite to take it any further, the US doesn’t want it, Russia genuinely can’t. Iran knows they’d get battered, China obviously wouldn’t take part etc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I think there is doubt. My reading of it is different to yours here in that I think Iran tried to give the strongest response they could that would still be contained. Whether they’ve miscalculated is another matter but I’m not buying the “they’re trying to incite a war” line. If they wanted a war they could just have one. Why tiptoe around it?

To me it smacks more of trying to send a message and satisfy the hawks internally while still trying to not let the situation get out of control. Hence why they sent a load of things they knew would be shot down, clearly gave days’ of notice and said “we now consider this matter closed”.

The danger is getting a war by accident because of two (or more) sides who fear that temperance will be perceived as weakness.

Well if they genuinely thought that sending those missiles into Israel (even though they knew they would be shot down) would ‘close’ the matter, then I suspect that will turn out to be one hell of a miscalculation. 

45 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Well if they genuinely thought that sending those missiles into Israel (even though they knew they would be shot down) would ‘close’ the matter, then I suspect that will turn out to be one hell of a miscalculation. 

Problem is there’s a genuine danger that Israel - or rather Netanyahu - does want a war but needs to find away to bring America along with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Problem is there’s a genuine danger that Israel - or rather Netanyahu - does want a war but needs to find away to bring America along with it.

The theory is that’s why he bombed the Iranian embassy. He wanted a mad iranian reaction, but unfortunately for him, there’s a democrat president who won’t touch Iran with a barge pole. If he can outlast Biden until January 2025 then things may get hairy but I presume Netanyahu will be in prison by then.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

it's not an exaggeration to say that right now we're probably closer to a Third World War

Except Iran clearly don't want a war - as illustrated by this laughable 'attack'. The US clearly don't want escalation and have said so. Russia shat the bed when that rocket landed in Poland and, guess what, the Yanks investigation took all of 15 mins to declare the missile as rogue Ukrainian and de-escalate the situation. 

These things are largely being done for domestic.politics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

What a horrendous world we live in.

Remember the post London 2012 Olympics high? Sadly was just a short lived thing

Since 2016 and the Brexit referendum, the world has just been spiralling ever more horrendously out of control 

(not claiming cause and effect more that the Brexit referendum was the first really strong sign of how politics is destabilising)

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1