Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

M&S pulls Christmas advert post after Palestinian flag criticism https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67294809

There are people out there who actually get up every day and spend their whole time searching for anything, no matter how loose it is , to be offended by ………..

to clarify, this post is nothing to do with what is ongoing in the Middle East 

see - even I’m having to tread on egg shells! 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

M&S pulls Christmas advert post after Palestinian flag criticism https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67294809

There are people out there who actually get up every day and spend their whole time searching for anything, no matter how loose it is , to be offended by ………..

Reported for the space before the comma and the reckless overuse of full stops. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I know. It was filmed before the war started and there's no silver in the Palestinian flag either, plus red, green and silver, traditional Christmas colours.

Maybe they should use red, blue and white? Oops, Russia!

Blue and yellow? Nope, Ukraine.

Blue and white, with a little Christmasy star on it? Don't go there!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I know. It was filmed before the war started and there's no silver in the Palestinian flag either, plus red, green and silver, traditional Christmas colours.

Maybe they should use red, blue and white? Oops, Russia!

Blue and yellow? Nope, Ukraine.

Blue and white, with a little Christmasy star on it? Don't go there!

And what if there is a natural disaster somewhere in November 

M&S should have stood their ground over this nonsense but sadly no one does these days -  the cost of having thousands of protesters attacking your head office in Paddington wharf on Saturday just isn’t worth it. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

It’s amazing to watch in real time as thousands of people collectively lose their ****ing minds.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Yeah I find it staggering. 

The only thing you can pull M&S up for is perhaps publishing that particular picture/still on their socials. It's quite similar to the flag and there's no doubt in my mind that it was purely incidental. 

The overriding fact is that it was filmed in August! That particular factual nugget gets missed by anyone seriously up in arms about it! 

6 minutes ago, westernpark said:

The M&S advert stuff by removing the advert, it sets an outrageous precedent that only strengthens the ammo of the demagogues from the Daily Mail and GB News. 

I'm pretty sure that both those institutions would be on the other side of this argument.

58 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I'm pretty sure that both those institutions would be on the other side of this argument.

Yes they would quite clearly be but it fuels the nonsense that they spout about ‘wokeness’ , ‘free speech’ and other culture war stuff.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Yes they would quite clearly be but it fuels the nonsense that they spout about ‘wokeness’ , ‘free speech’ and other culture war stuff.

They already think the M&S advert as a whole is falling foul of being too woke and not traditional enough, so they’ll likely just be enjoying it receiving a kicking from its “own side”.

3 minutes ago, Dunge said:

They already think the M&S advert as a whole is falling foul of being too woke and not traditional enough, so they’ll likely just be enjoying it receiving a kicking from its “own side”.

They’ll go with whatever plays best I suppose.

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

PR Nightmare Before Christmas.

2 minutes ago, bmt said:

I love people being offended that other people are offended by something they find inoffensive.

Eh? Your statement would surely only be true if M&S intended to look like they were setting fire to the Palestinian flag. 

Intention is everything in this surely? People are pissed that M&S is burning the Palestinian flag, hen anyone with a brain can say with certainty they're not doing that, nor intended.

Anyone getting het up about it should be treated with the contempt they deserve. They've been offended by something that isn't there. It's not there. It's a coincidence. Why are people offended by a coincidence?

5 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Eh? Your statement would surely only be true if M&S intended to look like they were setting fire to the Palestinian flag. 

Intention is everything in this surely? People are pissed that M&S is burning the Palestinian flag, hen anyone with a brain can say with certainty they're not doing that, nor intended.

Anyone getting het up about it should be treated with the contempt they deserve. They've been offended by something that isn't there. It's not there. It's a coincidence. Why are people offended by a coincidence?

I'm not talking about that example I just find the whole thing kind of ironic.

I find the whole news story hilarious, and that is from someone largely left-wing pro-Palestinian etc. But I just saw it and laughed rather than being frustrated about it.