Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

It feels as though democratic systems in the western world, and a number of the bodies of cooperation that tie similar countries together, are destabilising. And surprisingly quickly too.

It now feels fairly reasonable (not completely alarmist) to fear some major geopolitical drama, such as a widespread war, in the next few decades.

At least in my four decades on this planet, I’ve not seen so many concurrent and serious warning signs that trouble is ahead. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Doctor said:

functional democracy update: the president can commit high crimes, don't look at the bits of the constitution that say otherwise

That decision could actually help Biden.  Independents should be looking at that ruling and think how that could play out if Trump wins in November. 

1 hour ago, FoxesWalk said:

It feels as though democratic systems in the western world, and a number of the bodies of cooperation that tie similar countries together, are destabilising. And surprisingly quickly too.

It now feels fairly reasonable (not completely alarmist) to fear some major geopolitical drama, such as a widespread war, in the next few decades.

At least in my four decades on this planet, I’ve not seen so many concurrent and serious warning signs that trouble is ahead. 

To me, it’s just neoliberalism unravelling, which is also a major theme in the interwar years back when it used to be called classic liberalism. 

This time it hurts more because it’s fundamentally incompatible with population ageing but the reality is states in all western countries just can’t afford the burden of pension and healthcare populations where most people are over 55 and where people aren’t having enough children to add to the workforce. 

Edited by Sampson

3 hours ago, Torquay Gunner said:

That decision could actually help Biden.  Independents should be looking at that ruling and think how that could play out if Trump wins in November. 

very unlikely. It’s not polling high on the list of concerns of the American voters.

3 hours ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Polling is not known for being particularly accurate in the US, so I wouldn’t be swayed by that. 

well, I’m not hearing anyone talk about it either as an area of concern so that can be another indication.

i am of course just one man in one location.

But  I do live in a so called swing state.

13 hours ago, Torquay Gunner said:

the only way it's gonna help Biden is if he decides to test that to its logical extreme and send Trump to Gitmo. the people that are bothered by it are the ones already voting for Biden

10 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Still reckon she's innocent, Wyms? :D

:ph34r:

You never know, these witnesses - including Consultants - might have made false claims to conspire against her for whatever reason; but even someone like me thinks that'd be a slightly ridiculous theory.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

To be fair, The Supreme Court of the United States says that the President of the United States is immune from prosecution.

So what do courts know? :dunno:

Lucy Letby wasn't the Presidential Election winner I had on my bingo card tbh, but fair play to the woman.

The main thing I think about Trump getting in is that it’s likely bye bye Ukraine, especially with the EU also lurching to the hard right. 

Remember those optimistic days when Putin first invaded and we also said “he underestimated the west wanting to back Ukraine and he doesn’t want a long drawn out war”? Hope I’m wrong but I feel like this winter could be a real struggle for Ukraine. I feel for those in other bordering countries who are probably frightened as **** Putin is going to recuperate then continue too. 

5 minutes ago, MPH said:

What a frightening speech from Le Pen… I really hope some of this is lost in translation… I really hope they mean radical Islam and terrorist ideology..

She’s an outright fascist like her father. I find that comment very believable and in line with her character. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

She’s an outright fascist like her father. I find that comment very believable and in line with her character. 

it’s really Scary talk if she means ANY Muslim is the enemy  and ANY Muslim , having taken on nationality, faces being stripped  of their nationality and deported..

Edited by MPH

7 minutes ago, MPH said:

it’s really Scary talk if she means ANY Muslim is the enemy  and ANY Muslim , having taken on nationality, faces being stripped  of their nationality and deported..

She’s pure evil. And knowing how the French love a good protest, I can’t see it being a holiday destination for a few years. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MPH said:

I seriously doubt she is going to try to kick out circa 6% of the French population. Is it not generally accepted that Islamist means radical Islam?  

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I seriously doubt she is going to try to kick out circa 6% of the French population. Is it not generally accepted that Islamist means radical Islam?  

I don’t doubt she’d cram them in croissant ovens given half a chance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

No. That's just one interpretation.

Seriously worrying from Le Pen.

• Like 1