Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

15 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Well, his lawyers have unsuccessfully tried to delay all civil and criminal cases against him until after next years election.

Under American law, even if he is incarcerated, he can still run for president. Nothing stops him.

If he was in prison and was elected, he would pardon himself and make 'the most powerful country in the world' an absolute farce again.

Interestingly and quite unbelievably, I was on a train from London to Oxford about 3 months ago.

I overheard a conversation between what were clearly very intelligent academics.

I think 2 Oxford professors had 2 visiting professors from the US.

They got on to the subject of American politics and unbelievably, the Americans were pro Trump.

They weren't die hard Republicans, but they reasoned, both of their options are unelectable, but Trump was the lesser of 2 evils.

I was in absolute shock! 

While in Florida for work in 2019, I remember having a conversation with literal rocket scientists about the US presidency and they all said they voted for Trump. Apparently he "knows what's best for the economy because he is a successful businessman". All his far-right craziness was "irrelevant".

50 minutes ago, Raj said:

Almost as bad as the Uk voting for Boris!!

Johnson's personality and morals are disgusting but in 2019, Brexit aside, he was offering a broadly centrist political manifesto, like Levelling Up. Trump's personality and morals are even more disgusting than Johnson's but his policies are also stupid and backwards, and we have four years of evidence where he achieved absolutely nothing. Compare to the way Biden has managed Ukraine/Russia and then the inflation reduction act to mitigate the economic mess, then it makes no sense to me why anyone would prefer Trump on social or economic grounds. 

49 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Johnson's personality and morals are disgusting but in 2019, Brexit aside, he was offering a broadly centrist political manifesto, like Levelling Up. Trump's personality and morals are even more disgusting than Johnson's but his policies are also stupid and backwards, and we have four years of evidence where he achieved absolutely nothing. Compare to the way Biden has managed Ukraine/Russia and then the inflation reduction act to mitigate the economic mess, then it makes no sense to me why anyone would prefer Trump on social or economic grounds. 

Trump is a dick.

Johnson is a dick.

The end.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Amin said:

While in Florida for work in 2019, I remember having a conversation with literal rocket scientists about the US presidency and they all said they voted for Trump. Apparently he "knows what's best for the economy because he is a successful businessman". All his far-right craziness was "irrelevant".

I mean, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to realise that...

Wait... what?!?!?!

20 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Both in Brexit and in the US election, the "I am clever and you are stupid so vote how I tell you" attitude was not a vote winner.

Would be interesting to see some evidence for this. I've heard it a lot - people voted for Trump and Brexit because of liberal elites telling belittling them, but I've always felt it's one of those things that doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. 

2 hours ago, bovril said:

Would be interesting to see some evidence for this. I've heard it a lot - people voted for Trump and Brexit because of liberal elites telling belittling them, but I've always felt it's one of those things that doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. 

I didn't say that people voted for Brexit and/or Trump because of sneering snobs, I said that the "liberal elites" telling people that they are stupid made it less likely that they would change their mind. 

3 hours ago, bovril said:

I think there’s a lot of truth in it myself. You won’t find it in the opinion polls because it’s not something people will offer as the reason they voted that way - after all, that would sound as petty as it is and is pretty much an immediate argument-loser for anyone who isn’t trolling deliberately. But I do think it’s perhaps the key motivator for people to seek out opposing arguments and back them instead.

One sides mocks you, the other side reaches out their hand to you and says they’re on your side. It’s no surprise that people want to believe the side that’s - on the surface at least - offering them friendship. And believing is more than half the battle.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lionator said:

More to the point, while the voting population knew what Boris was, they could also see Corbyn's back to the 70s politics would be a national embarrassment.

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I’ll be honest, I had to look him up.

Ah yes the UN, who have spent the past 50 odd years making more resolutions condemning Israel than all the other nations put together.  You could almost think they have an issue with Jews.

55 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Ah yes the UN, who have spent the past 50 odd years making more resolutions condemning Israel than all the other nations put together.  You could almost think they have an issue with Jews.

Isn’t that more to do with the clear and repeated violations of international law.

“This land isn’t yours bro.”

“Nah, god said it is.” 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

The UN is anti semitic is a new one I have to say. Maybe if they stopped bombing children, hospitals and humanitarian corridors then the UN wouldn’t have to be so vocal. 

*Hamas’s disgusting attack does not justify the mass slaughter of thousands of innocent civilians. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 2

Just now, Lionator said:

The UN is anti semitic is a new one I have to say. Maybe if they stopped bombing children, hospitals and humanitarian corridors then the UN wouldn’t have to be so vocal. 

All of that happens elsewhere in the world and they do nothing.  Yet the only democracy in the Middle East is their main target.  Looks a bit suspect to me.  Its classic holding the Israelis to a standard you would never use for any other country bullshit.

22 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

All of that happens elsewhere in the world and they do nothing.  Yet the only democracy in the Middle East is their main target.  Looks a bit suspect to me.  Its classic holding the Israelis to a standard you would never use for any other country bullshit.

Or you're only noticing the statements on Israel because that's where the global media attention is? You can find plenty of UN statements and resolutions on the recent ethnic cleansing in the Karabakh region by the Azerbaijani's. In fact the UN were the only one's standing up for the Armenians when the world turned a blind eye to the Azerbaijani atrocities (because oil).

UN Chief Calls For 'Immediate End' To Fighting In Azerbaijan's Karabakh | Barron's (barrons.com)

By the way I do think it's stupid that the Labour person resigned. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Or you're only noticing the statements on Israel because that's where the global media attention is? You can find plenty of UN statements and resolutions on the recent ethnic cleansing in the Karabakh region by the Azerbaijani's. In fact the UN were the only one's standing up for the Armenians when the world turned a blind eye to the Azerbaijani atrocities (because oil).

UN Chief Calls For 'Immediate End' To Fighting In Azerbaijan's Karabakh | Barron's (barrons.com)

By the way I do think it's stupid that the Labour person resigned. 

They literally had 15 on Israel last year vs 13 for the rest of the world in total.  You cannot tell me over 50% of the worst things in the world last year involved Israel.  Utter nonsense.

I think it is great he resigned, he has demonstrated the absence of rational thought on this issue and so Kier can do better.

Edited by Jon the Hat

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Is there any sign that Hamas even want a ceasefire?  A ceasefire has to be on both sides, and would surely have to involve the return of non-combatants (ie. hostages and human shields).

They’ve explicitly said they would repeat October 7th attacks until Israel is destroyed, and that they are “a nation of martyrs” who are “proud to sacrifice martyrs“:

Senior Hamas official Ghazi Hamad told Lebanese TV that his organisation was determined to repeat the massacre of 7 October, when the men of Hamas murdered some 1,400 Israelis, most of them civilians, torturing and maiming their victims in ways too cruel to recount. Hamad promised that 7 October was “just the first time, and there will be a second, a third, a fourth”. He was asked if Hamas was bent on Israel’s annihilation. “Yes, of course,” he replied.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/nov/03/war-israel-hamas-conflict-peace-extremists