Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I'll be disappointed if my hypothetical future son hasn't done 3 tours by the age of 11 tbh.

Of Alton Towers?

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

We have to stop hearing people's fears and anxieties - of which they should have plenty - and just dismissing them as ignorant without acknowledging that there's something there. If all we do is call people idiots or stupid or bigots or whatever else in response to, ultimately, their desire for a better life then we're never going to win those people back.

I actually think we've become too accepting of clearly fallacious arguments for fear of causing injury to collective or individual identities. You saw this a lot with Brexit where a lot of quite obviously incorrect stuff was tacitly accepted in the spirit of addressing 'legitimate concerns'. And at the same time we are too quick to claim injury to our own selves  to dismiss the points of others, as we saw recently with Cleverly and Badenoch (the 'future of the right wing' lmao) responding to a celebrity calling out their bullshit.

I don't know what the reason is - maybe social media, maybe the fact we're a very individualist society, influence of US politics - but we have become a society that is both passive-aggressive and intellectually lazy when it comes to politics. There are clips floating around twitter these weeks of Blair dismantling the arguments of critical members of the public. It's totally unthinkable in the present day. 

• Like 2

it’s an interesting discussion but it is ultimately chicken or egg stuff. 

I’m not convinced people just latch on to people like Farage because they don’t feel like they listened to and they don’t care that he lies, sells them easy answers and pulls economic numbers from thin air. And that it isn’t Farage whipping people up into them thinking that there’s a problem.

How much of those are “legitimate concerns” about immigration for example and how much are just chancers like Farage telling them they have legitimate concerns in very clever dog whistling ways that make it sound ok to centrists I’m not sure.

For example, I think a lot of issues with the difficulty funding the public sector in western economies are undoubtedly caused by population ageing, but it’s an extremely uncomfortable truth that older people and pensioners who worked hard all their lives are the problem, especially in a democracy where older people become the major core of voters. I mean population ageing is a massive problem in democracies because you’ll get to the point where the people who have the most and influential votes are the ones draining the public purse - so it becomes a much more convenient truth to say it’s assylum seekers in hotels or benefit scroungers who are the problems to the public purse. People believe it because they don’t actually know these people and will never become one of those people, whereas they know they’ll become old and they have parents or grandparents who are old and need the state to help support them. In that case I think it’s the narrative being fed by bad actors like Farage and not the other way around. 

I think Macron has tried to do what Finnegan said and try to openly talk about discussing the concerns of the populist anti-establishment parties on both left and right and all it’s done has legitimise previously fringe views into the mainstream by making them seem like they’re being listened to about them and then made them feel comfortable being even more extreme. 

As for educating people in critical thinking, absolutely. I have no idea why critical thinking isn’t a mandatory subject in school between the ages of 13-16 and instead is a choice-based subject for 17 or 18 year olds which very few take.

But I still don’t think it would have enough desired effect tbh. Tbh I’m just not sure human brains can cope with the barrage of information presented by social media and the internet and society doesn’t know what to do - especially given the 2 biggest challenges of the modern age are climate change and population ageing - the former of which requires global cooperation in a way humanity has never achieved before and the latter is a big test on democracy as it kind of inherently involves parties going after their own voters and a huge deal of voters being told they’re the problem and people inherently voting against their own self interest. Feels a bit like all the unrest that came out of the birth of the printing press which caused the overthrow of the Catholic status quo and caused mass war and conflict all over Europe.

*cue the Metal Gear Solid 2 clip from about 25 years ago predicting the internet will lead to humans existentially struggling with the mass information overload and the lack of filter of genuine and fake information*

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

At the battle of Cookies & Milk, he led his siblings platoon into a live successful revolt against the future Queens no dip policies.

Source tells me, when the platoon was done they poured the remaining milky cookies bits at the bottom of the cup on momma dearest's floor.

Bad ass.

• Haha 1

Guest Col city fan
37 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Col yesterday

daggers today 

Who’s next 😄

Oi! Don’t link me in with any posts/themes from Daggers! 
😉

I see Cleverly once again is claiming anyone who disagrees his favourite policies is racist. Truly the Conservative party has an exciting future. 

Edited by bovril

36 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Your money on Dunjarin abusing or having relations with the horse? Look forward to the video being released.

Dunjarin lol

On the subject of 'we shouldn't dismiss people as bigots and idiots', I was unfortunately exposed on social media to Russell Brand's opinions on Kamala Harris as Democrat nominee. A man whose popularity as political and social commentator I believe peaked around the same time that fellow man of the people Joey Barton was appearing on QT. Truly a glorious era in UK political debate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

On the subject of 'we shouldn't dismiss people as bigots and idiots', I was unfortunately exposed on social media to Russell Brand's opinions on Kamala Harris as Democrat nominee. A man whose popularity as political and social commentator I believe peaked around the same time that fellow man of the people Joey Barton was appearing on QT. Truly a glorious era in UK political debate.

Both ended up going down the same alt right rabbit holes too. Barton was talking about gay people being needed to be included in football and Brand was on QT fiercely in opposition to Farage. Brand especially seemed to do a complete 180 since Covid from being a huge Corbyn supporter to a huge Trump supporter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

Both ended up going down the same alt right rabbit holes too. Barton was talking about gay people being needed to be included in football and Brand was on QT fiercely in opposition to Farage. Brand especially seemed to do a complete 180 since Covid from being a huge Corbyn supporter to a huge Trump supporter.

I think the point is they are both quite stupid people and both desperate for attention. Brand's recent tweet illustrates this perfectly. 

Guest Col city fan
16 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think the point is they are both quite stupid people and both desperate for attention. Brand's recent tweet illustrates this perfectly. 

I think they are far from stupid tbh.

Farage mustered up millions of votes by returning to lead REFORM within a few weeks, whilst Brand is just a **** who will change like the wind based on the popular view of the day. But he ain’t stupid. He’s made a fortune by doing, frankly, nothing 

37 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Brand especially seemed to do a complete 180 since Covid from being a huge Corbyn supporter to a huge Trump supporter.

Because alt-right conspiratorial horseshit generates hits and is far more lucrative. He didn't believe any of the crap on his YT channel - and now he's making even more on 'Rumble' and 'Odysee'. It also musters a huge gullible following that will unquestioningly back him when the allegations of sex offences can be explained as a deep state witch hunt. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Your money on Dunjarin abusing or having relations with the horse? Look forward to the video being released.

It’s a real shame she’s not going to the Olympics. She was a top bet for gold in the horse punching.

56 minutes ago, Sampson said:

So Barton is particularly odd because he's VERY LGBT friendly. My late father attended some events with him, where Joey was putting across gay acceptance to kids. Dad had no concept of who he was and couldn't believe the same bloke he met was the Barton we all know.

I will add that this was about 10 years ago, mind. 

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Am I alone in wondering about quick gofundme responses to awful situations ?

There is no one overseeing what’s going on - I know im a natural cynic so I worry that some people could exploit the general public’s natural empathy for victims. 

No one knows what financial arrangements families have.  even close family may not be aware.  I noticed that there was a page created after the dreadful murders of the mother and two daughters in Bushey for the surviving adult daughter.   

or am I just a dreadful person to be wondering ???

It doesn't sit comfortably with me and although the sentiment is nice, I 100% know what you mean. Captain Tom's family vibes spring to mind.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Nalis said:

It doesn't sit comfortably with me and although the sentiment is nice, I 100% know what you mean. Captain Tom's family vibes spring to mind.

Is this 'Gofundme' idea for Leicester City? Have things really got that bad?!!:D

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Is this 'Gofundme' idea for Leicester City? Have things really got that bad?!!:D

I'll set one up as long as I get to shout from the rooftops that I'm a super duper philanthropist while skimming off the top when no-one is looking.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

I kind of understand the immediate emotional reaction to "do something" to help.

£250,00 and growing if the reports are correct, seems a bit above and beyond.

IMO enough to cover unexpected funeral expenses and to provide a nice memorial, maybe a community garden or something similar that can be an ongoing project, dedicated to their memory.

I've never suffered such a loss so what do I know. Is there a limit set on GoFundMe appeals?

Edited by Parafox