Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

Leicester making the news again, thanks to Soulsby's blinkered drive to turn the city cycle friendly, with floating bus stops. Just been on BBC Breakfast.

Personally I think it's not so much the idea of the floating bus stops that's the problem as selfish, ignorant cyclists (not ALL cyclists before anyone starts) who travel through these areas at top speed through crowded areas shared with pedestrians.

• Like 2

Olympic broadcaster axed over sexist remark

Olympic broadcaster Eurosport has removed Bob Ballard from its commentary team in Paris after he made a sexist remark about Australia's female swimmers.

After watching the team take gold in the 4x100m freestyle relay event, Mr Ballard said: "Well, the women just finishing up. You know what women are like … hanging around, doing their make-up."

Mollie O’Callaghan, Emma McKeon, Meg Harris and Shayna Jack had just sealed victory and were waving to crowds when Mr Ballard made his comments.

A statement from the broadcaster said: "During a segment of Eurosport's coverage last night, commentator Bob Ballard made an inappropriate comment. 

"To that end, he has been removed from our commentary roster with immediate effect."

Mr Ballard's co-commentator, British swimming champion Lizzie Simmonds, branded his remark "outrageous".

6 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Olympic broadcaster Eurosport has removed Bob Ballard from its commentary team in Paris after he made a sexist remark about Australia's female swimmers.

After watching the team take gold in the 4x100m freestyle relay event, Mr Ballard said: "Well, the women just finishing up. You know what women are like … hanging around, doing their make-up."

Mollie O’Callaghan, Emma McKeon, Meg Harris and Shayna Jack had just sealed victory and were waving to crowds when Mr Ballard made his comments.

A statement from the broadcaster said: "During a segment of Eurosport's coverage last night, commentator Bob Ballard made an inappropriate comment. 

"To that end, he has been removed from our commentary roster with immediate effect."

Mr Ballard's co-commentator, British swimming champion Lizzie Simmonds, branded his remark "outrageous".

Complete over reaction. Yes, tell him to be careful what he says in future. I'm not sure that Lizzie Simmonds understands what outrageous means.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

8 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Complete over reaction. Yes, tell him to be careful what he says in future. I'm not sure that Lizzie Simmonds understands what outrageous means.

Everything will end so sanitised 

there will only be a few words that are acceptable !

I mean it’s a stereotype remark but is it offensive.  @FoxesDeb ? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Welcome to 2024 - what is the world coming to. 

Just stop oil now blocking departure gates at gatwick

I recall their main demand was to stop issuing new oil and gas licences 

milliband has done this 

so I guess like most protest groups, the goalposts will keep on moving so they retain a raison d’etre 

58 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Yes or they’ve stupidly fallen for the crap spouted by Yaxley Lennon who is extreme right wing, as are all of those actively worked with YL in organising the demo.

Yes was just as concerning seeing the anti-protest lead my the far left, anti-Semitic Pratt Jeremy Corbin. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Just stop oil now blocking departure gates at gatwick

I recall their main demand was to stop issuing new oil and gas licences 

milliband has done this 

so I guess like most protest groups, the goalposts will keep on moving so they retain a raison d’etre 

I wonder if between protests these people live a perfect life with no travelling for work, holidays or other appointments or heaven forbid simple social activities for leisure or the arts

Don't think it's a sackable offence, personally. A very flippant comment which isn't necessary, but to be sacked for it is very harsh. 

And I know they're two totally different scenarios and authorities making the decisions, but there's literally a convicted child rapist in one of the teams that's allowed to compete. 

Makes a mockery of it all that Ballard is sacked while the other can continue doing what they do as a sport. 

Should Ballard have made the comment? Probably not. 

Is it an overreaction for him to lose his job. Probably. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

I wonder if between protests these people live a perfect life with no travelling for work, holidays or other appointments or heaven forbid simple social activities for leisure or the arts

Absolute hypocrites the lot of them. It's always middle class protesters shouting do as I say not as I do. It's not protesting anymore It's disruption and causing chaos.i understand there upset and want to bring their cause to the forefront and get as much attention and publicity as they can. It's the sheer utter hypocrisy of these people I can't stand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Everything will end so sanitised 

there will only be a few words that are acceptable !

I mean it’s a stereotype remark but is it offensive.  @FoxesDeb ? 

I don't personally find it offensive, no. At most it probably deserves an eye roll, if I'd heard it in real time I probably would have laughed. 

It's hardly a sackable offense imo, a quiet word to be a bit more careful would have been enough.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Absolute hypocrites the lot of them. It's always middle class protesters shouting do as I say not as I do. It's not protesting anymore It's disruption and causing chaos.i understand there upset and want to bring their cause to the forefront and get as much attention and publicity as they can. It's the sheer utter hypocrisy of these people I can't stand.

Do they think people are sat in a traffic jam are thinking "wow they are right, I should give my my car to give the planet" or are they sat there despising everything to do with them. 

It's not getting ANYONE on side, to make a difference you need the people on your side.

Raise as much awareness as you want, but if you are hated and despised by the masses it has zero impact. The people aren't going to pressure the government, they are going to cheer you getting run over and put in prison for half a decade. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

What goes through peoples minds, I know it's not easy to fill a load of time on TV... but really. lol

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Do they think people are sat in a traffic jam are thinking "wow they are right, I should give my my car to give the planet" or are they sat there despising everything to do with them. 

It's not getting ANYONE on side, to make a difference you need the people on your side.

I don't have a car or fly and I despise their methods too. 

9 hours ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

So everyone in London today at that march is right wing? 

Some yes no doubt, but as expected the lefty luvvies and commie worshipping anti-protestors will have you believe it was the 2nd coming of the 3rd Reich lol

Just laugh at this point pal. Clowns calling you a racist, nazi, bigot etc etc etc because you don't share the same viewpoints or agree on certain topics mean absolutely nothing now:beer:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I think they're ****ing idiots but they're caught between a rock and a hard place a little bit. By and large, your every man is simply not taking climate change remotely seriously enough, and I include myself in that. Not nearly enough are engaging with any kind of climate change propaganda (for want of a better word). 

They want people to take notice of it as an issue – how do they do it in a non-antagonistic way when it goes over so many people's heads? That's what they need to figure out and its a borderline impossible task.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I think they're ****ing idiots but they're caught between a rock and a hard place a little bit. By and large, your every man is simply not taking climate change remotely seriously enough, and I include myself in that. Not nearly enough are engaging with any kind of climate change propaganda (for want of a better word). 

They want people to take notice of it as an issue – how do they do it in a non-antagonistic way when it goes over so many people's heads? That's what they need to figure out and its a borderline impossible task.

If the Green Party are not radical enough for them why don't they form a new party to win support via the ballot box. They can still protest without causing disruption or vandalism. 

• Haha 1