Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I get it for the very rich with lots of savings but surely a lot of people are affected by this? I don't know much about pension credits but I'm confident you don't have to be a millionaire to be ineligible for it. 

The majority of pensioners will be affected by this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Of course many people are jumping to conclusions about where the perpetrator of this mornings dreadful stabbing was from. Are they an illegal immigrant ? Are they an immigrant ?

and then they’re saying that it will be put down to mental illness.  
Are there any studies as to whether people who come here and seek asylum are more likely to suffer from mental illness with severe episodes? Many will have had a v tough time in their own country followed by an incredibly stressful journey here.   The mental health systems here are simply not fit for purpose - it should be no surprise if people have come here who need support and just don’t get it.  another reason to get our infrastructure sorted out before we accept too many people. Of course exactly the opposite has happened under the previous administration. 

Not sure I follow what you are saying here - but to toe the line I'll keep my mouth shut. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I get it for the very rich with lots of savings but surely a lot of people are affected by this? I don't know much about pension credits but I'm confident you don't have to be a millionaire to be ineligible for it. 

As a Labour supporter and a pensioner I think I could join in here. I don't get pension credit but certainly not well off. Obviously would rather receive the winter fuel allowance though I thought it quite generous. Always been careful about not wasting energy. Hopefully Reeves knows what she is doing and money saved helps. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

In what way?

And have you felt this way before?

I have relatives that have fallen down the Tommy Robinson slope very recently. At worst it always pro-Brexit but now the sentiment is a lot angrier. 

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Of course many people are jumping to conclusions about where the perpetrator of this mornings dreadful stabbing was from. Are they an illegal immigrant ? Are they an immigrant ?

and then they’re saying that it will be put down to mental illness.  
Are there any studies as to whether people who come here and seek asylum are more likely to suffer from mental illness with severe episodes? Many will have had a v tough time in their own country followed by an incredibly stressful journey here.   The mental health systems here are simply not fit for purpose - it should be no surprise if people have come here who need support and just don’t get it.  another reason to get our infrastructure sorted out before we accept too many people. Of course exactly the opposite has happened under the previous administration. 

People are making assumptions because, let’s face it… we all have that gut feeling that those assumptions are probably correct for good reason.

And people are angry because they don’t want to see and hear things like this again and again - and who can blame anyone for feeling this way?

Now, I don’t really want to go into the politics of this right now because it’s not the time or place - that can come in the days and weeks that pass.

But there is a very basic logic to consider here and that is the number of applications you allow has to match the capabilities of the support services and case workers you can supply.

Finally - the police and press may well be holding back releasing the name of the perpetrator for now - BUT that is more likely to be in the interests of all the emergency crews that attended what must have been an horrific call to be a part of, rather than some deep state conspiracy.

They will have had lots to deal with on both an operational and mental level and deserve not be called upon again so soon after - the last thing they need is to deal with any local reactionary unrest at this precise moment.

The interests of those on the front line will be in supporting the families effected - and so if we have any respect for their jobs and wish to provide the same support to those families too, the best thing we can do is to stay calm and stay silent - for now - whilst giving our own sons and daughters a little tighter hug tonight.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Leicester making the news again, thanks to Soulsby's blinkered drive to turn the city cycle friendly, with floating bus stops. Just been on BBC Breakfast.

Personally I think it's not so much the idea of the floating bus stops that's the problem as selfish, ignorant cyclists (not ALL cyclists before anyone starts) who travel through these areas at top speed through crowded areas shared with pedestrians.

so  this is the time when I realize I have lived in the United States for too long….

what is a floating bustop !? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

so  this is the time when I realize I have lived in the United States for too long….

Bus stop between the pavement and a dedicated cycle lane - meaning pedestrians have to cross the path of cyclists.

They can prove particularly problematic for the blind (be that pedestrians or cyclists).

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

The Huw Edwards thing is incredibly murky. It reads as if it was 3 instances of making sexual images of a child, which is a very very broad definition. It is incredibly important to treat these sorts of cases delicately.

Britain had really shot itself in the foot, legally speaking, by allowing the 16-18 gray area to exist.

For example: we have to REGULARLY explain to our 16-17 year old students that sharing pictures of themselves with boyfriends/ girlfriends, etc is in breach of this very law.

We have also had instances where 17 year old students have been advertising online, upon websites which SHOULD be carrying out ID checks.

This is not to say that Huw Edwards is "innocent" or whatever but it does highly the very real issues that crop up with inconsistent legislation and enforcement. 

He has apparently been charged with sharing cat A images, so the most serious classification.  If found guilty and providing there is no extraordinary mitigation, a prison sentence is the most likely outcome.

Is the police definition for ‘terror related’ available for the public to peruse?

and looking at the OBR letter and sentiments, what on earth was hunt doing reducing NI twice over the last nine months of the Tory administration ???

I reckon labour could easily take that back up to previous levels without public outcry because we can see it was a straight election bribe without fiscal foundation. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Bus stop between the pavement and a dedicated cycle lane - meaning pedestrians have to cross the path of cyclists.

They can prove particularly problematic for the blind (be that pedestrians or cyclists).

a blind cyclist!  Haha

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

a blind cyclist!  Haha

I guess it’s more color blind (deliberate American spelling used) when it comes to cyclists - you see they have a terrible difficulty spotting the colour red!*

*I’ve taken the opportunity to make the easiest of jokes. I mean no ill will to the cycling community by them - I just figured if I didn’t make the joke someone else would have done. I actually like your Lycra shorts 😘

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Is the police definition for ‘terror related’ available for the public to peruse?

and looking at the OBR letter and sentiments, what on earth was hunt doing reducing NI twice over the last nine months of the Tory administration ???

I reckon labour could easily take that back up to previous levels without public outcry because we can see it was a straight election bribe without fiscal foundation. 

Terrorism

The current UK definition is set out in the Terrorism Act 2000 (TACT 2000). In summary this defines terrorism as ‘The use or threat of serious violence against a person or serious damage to property where that action is:

designed to influence the government or an international governmental organisation or to intimidate the public or a section of the public;

and

for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause.’

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prevent-duty-guidance/glossary-of-terms#:~:text=In summary this defines terrorism,section of the public%3B and

• Thanks 1

As expected I will be worse off under Labour as they have announced the removal of the Winter Fuel Payment today, thanks.

Still Junior Doctors will be getting a 22% increase in their wages.

1 minute ago, David Hankey said:

As expected I will be worse off under Labour as they have announced the removal of the Winter Fuel Payment today, thanks.

Should've been booted years and years ago. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, David Hankey said:

If that means we can attract, train and retain more (Junior) Doctors over the course of 5-10 years; would that not be a good trade off? 

Mean as I understand it you stand to lose an ad-hoc £100-300 a year.

If that in turn helped to reduce the maximum hip replacement waiting time from 18 weeks to 12, would you take that?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tommy G said:

But Labour will see this as a quick fix post election ''Look at us we've fixed the pay dispute that the Tories were dilly dallying over for 12 months'' whereas in reality a large proportion of both public and private sector workers will be narked with this and will be spinning on their heels knowing there is a deal to be done with this government. 

We'll find out how it's going to be paid for in a few weeks time, it begins with t and ends with x 

Twix?

Tampax?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Still better than the Tory shitshow though so every cloud and all that 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MPH said:

lol

I didn't know either.

It's a bus stop with a bus lane in front of it and a cycle lane behind it. An island (which just typed as anusland lol) bus stop would be a better description.

The problem is that pedestrians have to cross the cycle lane to get to it and some cyclists aren't willing to slow. They'd rather injure people.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

I really really fear things are about to get very nasty in this country. 

They haven't already?

I think Brits have been quite complacent to be honest that our society will remain relatively prosperous and peaceful when most of the signs point to the opposite. 

Edited by bovril