Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

As someone who is frequently misunderstood when trying to say nice things that very, very infrequently and incredibly rarely come out a bit wrong, I completely empathise with poor Bob here. 

Some people are very quick to take offense over the tiniest word these days. We all need to show a bit more love and understanding to all the Bobs of this world.

And by "all the Bobs",  I mean me. :whistle: :innocent:

Are there a lot of Bob's in Kettering?

Or just you?

14 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

If that means we can attract, train and retain more (Junior) Doctors over the course of 5-10 years; would that not be a good trade off? 

Mean as I understand it you stand to lose an ad-hoc £100-300 a year.

If that in turn helped to reduce the maximum hip replacement waiting time from 18 weeks to 12, would you take that?

I think this is right. Do we want trained doctors to think they would be better off going abroad after all that expensive training? 

I fear my Labour Party membership is living on borrowed time, there needs to be less  punching down and more punching up.

It hasn’t played well somehow finding 22% for Junior Doctors and dropping the fuel allowance for pensioners. I get there are wealthy pensioners who don’t need it. 

The push to get another million on pension credit is an absolute joke, the form filling, box ticking, evidence providing for someone only to go ‘computer says no’ because the signature was outside of the box is not going to get some 80 plus year olds on board. 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

I really really fear things are about to get very nasty in this country. 

It will - can you imagine the numbers that would have gone to London had that rally been this Saturday instead?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lionator said:

22% pay rise for doctors is disgusting considering the supposed financial problems of the state. 

It's to compensate for years of underfunding.

Saying that, if it's not accepted I'll stop having sympathy with health workers.

6 minutes ago, Nalis said:

It's to compensate for years of underfunding.

Saying that, if it's not accepted I'll stop having sympathy with health workers.

Devils advocate - what about lots of other professions in both public and private sector that have had below inflation pay reviews in the past 5 years? Where does it stop.

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

I get it for the very rich with lots of savings but surely a lot of people are affected by this? I don't know much about pension credits but I'm confident you don't have to be a millionaire to be ineligible for it. 

Pension credits are a means tested benefit for those on a state pension, and have no other income and is intended as a top up.

If you fall outside of the criteria such as receiving a company or private pension and/or having savings above a certain level, you won't receive pension credit.

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

As someone who is frequently misunderstood when trying to say nice things that very, very infrequently and incredibly rarely come out a bit wrong, I completely empathise with poor Bob here. 

Some people are very quick to take offense over the tiniest word these days. We all need to show a bit more love and understanding to all the Bobs of this world.

And by "all the Bobs",  I mean me. :whistle: :innocent:

I've never known you to upset anyone.

N.B. I had noticed that the NHS thread was closed after a recent comment by you and I thought, "Daggers has got himself another ban again."

:ph34r:

37 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

As expected I will be worse off under Labour as they have announced the removal of the Winter Fuel Payment today, thanks.

Still Junior Doctors will be getting a 22% increase in their wages.

34 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Should've been booted years and years ago. 

Should be means tested. Do you really need £200 extra over winter?

Do you want a competent, reasonably well paid doctor to look after you or would you rather them leave to work abroad for better pay?

Just now, Parafox said:

Do you want a competent, reasonably well paid doctor to look after you or would you rather them leave to work abroad for better pay?

True, I doubt Elton John or Michael Caine need a winter fuel payment

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

My gran used to give us her winter allowance, said she didn't need it. Crazy they just give cash to people that isn't means tested. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Should've been booted years and years ago. 

I presume yo say that because you're not in receipt of it.

It was one good things Gordon Brown did as Chancellor back in 1997.

Just now, Tuna said:

True, I doubt Elton John or Michael Caine need a winter fuel payment

Very true. Fortunately I don't qualify for pension credit or other means tested benefits. I would say that among the pensioners that will lose the winter fuel allowance I'm at the less well off end. Not though at the stage in life where feeling the cold is worse than when younger. Will just have to get on with it.

7 minutes ago, Livid said:

I fear my Labour Party membership is living on borrowed time, there needs to be less  punching down and more punching up.

It hasn’t played well somehow finding 22% for Junior Doctors and dropping the fuel allowance for pensioners. I get there are wealthy pensioners who don’t need it. 

The push to get another million on pension credit is an absolute joke, the form filling, box ticking, evidence providing for someone only to go ‘computer says no’ because the signature was outside of the box is not going to get some 80 plus year olds on board. 

Clearly it’s a bloody difficult balancing act.

I believe Junior Doctors are paid anywhere between £30,000 to £60,000 - around the level of train drivers (with some drivers on more).

The award is also based across 3 pay periods (think it’s something like 4%, 8% and 9%) and aim’s to rectify not only the higher inflation years but the public sector pay freeze years ago too - so the headline figure makes it look a lot different than it actually is.

That said - people (generally) don’t do detail so it is a deal that is likely to cause Labour some headaches, especially as it moves along to different public sectors pay deals (good luck with getting the teachers to agree to 5% now!).

But coming back to this pay dispute - if you don’t have enough (Junior) Doctors which cross section of the public is going to lose out most… probably pensioners.

Now let’s consider, out of public expenditure, which cross section of the public has the biggest public expenditure demands… that’s likely to be pensioners again (£138 billion is earmarked for the state pension alone in 2024/25).

So is this a fair trade off? 

Naturally every individual can make there own minds up based on lived experience over the coming years - but Labour’s basic assumptions must be that it will be deemed fair enough by enough people in 5 years time.

5 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

My gran used to give us her winter allowance, said she didn't need it. Crazy they just give cash to people that isn't means tested. 

It has been said that means testing can incur a lot of administration costs 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

My Dad lives in Switzerland and is not poor by any standard, has complained many times over the years that he receives it, doesn’t need or want it but has no way of refusing or returning it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bovril said:

They haven't already?

I think Brits have been quite complacent to be honest that our society will remain relatively prosperous and peaceful when most of the signs point to the opposite. 

Very true. I don’t think many people have truly grasped how utterly bleak the future is both in the short and long term.

We have a basically flat line economy that is kept afloat by immigration (whether people like it or not). We have more and more people who are becoming anti immigration. We have birth rate decline, yet we have a social situation where white British birth rates will decline and non-white’s will continue to rise (to note I do not have a problem with this). This will lead to tension, riots, potentially even civil and sectarian violence.

Then on the global scale, we have a war in Europe, the Middle East is on fire, the Americans are willing to destroy western economies to stick one over China. Western Europe is basically at war with Russia. We are geopolitically in a WWI situation where two ways to run countries are clashing and neither will back down. Except unlike WWI, we have nukes. 

Finally if we survive internal strife, if we somehow do not get annihilated in a nuclear firestorm, we have climate change to look forward to and all of the instability, death and destruction that will bring. 

Happy Monday everybody. 😄😄😄

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I presume yo say that because you're not in receipt of it.

It was one good things Gordon Brown did as Chancellor back in 1997.

Well my household is currently in receipt of it and I agree that it should be scrapped. Much rather that money go to Doctors who one day I may need the help from when that £200 makes no material difference to my life.

• Haha 1