Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

We've all got stories like that it seems.

A bloke I know who retired about 10 years ago is enjoying a very very comfortable retirement. He's abroad 3 or 4 times a year and he's invariably on the golf course when in the UK.

Every year he loves winding me up how my taxes are paying for his winter fuel allowance that he usually spends on champagne or a new golf club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

My gran used to give us her winter allowance, said she didn't need it. Crazy they just give cash to people that isn't means tested. 

Sometimes it costs more to administer something to give to a few, rather than give something to all.

Or originally it could also have been a decision based on making sure the benefit was effective; i.e. if you include everyone it by default gets to 100% of the people who need it.

So there’s always little nuances in decision making that might not be that obvious on the face of things.

Of course another reason for giving it to all pensioners and maintaining that for so long could be because they vote - and giving / maintaining a £100-£300 bribe was always seen as politically beneficial! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

Two confirmed dead. ****. 

:cry:

If 6 kids are in a critical condition, as mentioned in the Police conference just, there unfortunately could be more fatalities..

31 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Devils advocate - what about lots of other professions in both public and private sector that have had below inflation pay reviews in the past 5 years? Where does it stop.

Fair point. Fat chance of it happening for the vast majority of private sector workers who are on shit pensions as it is compared to public sector counterparts. And I say that as someone who indirectly benefits from that.

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

:cry:

If 6 kids are in a critical condition, as mentioned in the Police conference just, there unfortunately could be more fatalities..

Christ, just seen that. Awful.

Guess it puts a lot of the other things we've all been debating today in massive perspective :(

Edited by Nalis
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

Well my household is currently in receipt of it and I agree that it should be scrapped. Much rather that money go to Doctors who one day I may need the help from when that £200 makes no material difference to my life.

If it "makes not material difference" why was it introduced in the first place? Or was it a populist New Labour gimmick.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Sometimes it costs more to administer something to give to a few, rather than give something to all.

Or originally it could also have been a decision based on making sure the benefit was effective; i.e. if you include everyone it by default gets to 100% of the people who need it.

So there’s always little nuances in decision making that might not be that obvious on the face of things.

Of course another reason for giving it to all pensioners and maintaining that for so long could be because they vote - and giving / maintaining a £100-£300 bribe was always seen as politically beneficial! 

Tell that to the buggers who got me for two weeks of JSA I wasn't entitled to in my youth. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

We've all got stories like that it seems.

A bloke I know who retired about 10 years ago is enjoying a very very comfortable retirement. He's abroad 3 or 4 times a year and he's invariably on the golf course when in the UK.

Every year he loves winding me up how my taxes are paying for his winter fuel allowance that he usually spends on champagne or a new golf club.

He’ll be on Prosecco this year, make you you jib him about it 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

Unfortunately we'll most likely see more and more of these incidents. The question is what are the politicians and those in authority going to do about it! Condolences and hollow words just won't be enough we need to see a proper response to violent crime and unprovoked pycho attacks. The police have lost the streets of this country and are courts are pathetic and are prisons are beyond capacity. Enough is enough. I am sick of seeing instances like this on a near regular basis.

• Like 2

Just now, David Hankey said:

If it "makes not material difference" why was it introduced in the first place? Or was it a populist New Labour gimmick.

I don't know maybe but it was introduced at a time when the country was improving its wealth year on year and it could be afforded. Healthservices and public services in general were not in the statd they currently are.

You have complained as a pensioner of the pay increase for junior doctors but complain about a loss of income of less than 1% when your pension has increased by over 23% in the last three years. Maybe there was method in the Chancellors madness😉

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Populist New Labour lol

This Labour is anything but populist. Just boring and not obsessed with boats/parties during Covid/proroguing/ignoring water companies/whatever shite has happened the last 10 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

How can you prevent such tragic events happening in the first place, especially as the culprit is very young?

Objectively, I’m surprised it’s not happened much before. It’s relatively easy for anyone to get a shape knife (just mercifully 99.99% know to keep them for cooking in the kitchen). Always thought the scariest thing a terrorist could ever do is target a random party in a town that’s not a big landmark. 

5 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Unfortunately we'll most likely see more and more of these incidents. The question is what are the politicians and those in authority going to do about it! Condolences and hollow words just won't be enough we need to see a proper response to violent crime and unprovoked pycho attacks. The police have lost the streets of this country and are courts are pathetic and are prisons are beyond capacity. Enough is enough. I am sick of seeing instances like this on a near regular basis.

I guess we all want to know the background of the youth responsible and what has lead to this ghastly event. We will have be patient which is something we find hard in these days of instant news and speculation 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

I don't know maybe but it was introduced at a time when the country was improving its wealth year on year and it could be afforded. Healthservices and public services in general were not in the statd they currently are.

You have complained as a pensioner of the pay increase for junior doctors but complain about a loss of income of less than 1% when your pension has increased by over 23% in the last three years. Maybe there was method in the Chancellors madness😉

The WFP is a mere drop in the ocean when you consider what this 22% increase to the nation will be.

And it won't stop there as other Trade Unions will be lining up to. You just wait for the RMT to get going for one.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Populist New Labour lol

This Labour is anything but populist. Just boring and not obsessed with boats/parties during Covid/proroguing/ignoring water companies/whatever shite has happened the last 10 years.

I think he is referring to the Blair 1997 incarnation. I will once again attach an image to complete my comment on what he says.

sea lion barking-7966-0181ca8c598698156574a1d8b91e1cef@1x.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Reserving comment on Southport until we know the full details.

As a parent to a young child though, it's absolutely horrifying. I cannot begin to imagine the pain. 

Shakes one to the core

36 minutes ago, bovril said:

Awful this.

Targeting kids that can’t defend themselves. 

Horrific.

Some chat that the delay in Israel’s response to Saturday is to allow western countries to evacuate their nationals - no one knows what hezbollah’s response to a substantial attack will be. It could easily continue to escalate to all out war. 

22% for junior doctors is a multi year deal, and historically they've gone on average to being vastly underpaid vs. where they were a number of years ago, although I thought 15-18% would have been enough.

All other public services will end up with 3-7% payrises IMO, depending on previous year deals.

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Some chat that the delay in Israel’s response to Saturday is to allow western countries to evacuate their nationals - no one knows what hezbollah’s response to a substantial attack will be. It could easily continue to escalate to all out war. 

I don’t think it’ll be long until Israel uses nukes to be honest.