Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

37 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Hannah Arendt argues that the distinction between truth and lie can be eroded, over time, by "continual lying." When political leaders, institutions, the press, and respected figures habitually and continually state alternative facts, their lies—even if they are neither intended to be believed nor are believed—attack the very foundations of what Arendt calls the common world.  

"The result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lies will now be accepted as truth, and the truth be defamed as lies, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world—and the category of truth vs. falsehood is among the mental means to this end—is being destroyed." 

Comparisons between the case studies she raises in "The Origins of Totalitarianism" and what we see today from nations we'd consider above such things is worrying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

No, do you recommend them?

Yes absolutely. Especially the Power of Nightmares and Hypernormalisation. They’re both on iplayer. Both about truth distortions, manipulation and political power. Very, very good stuff and I don’t think I’ve ever thought about politics the same way since. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Yes absolutely. Especially the Power of Nightmares and Hypernormalisation. They’re both on iplayer. Both about truth distortions, manipulation and political power. Very, very good stuff and I don’t think I’ve ever thought about politics the same way since. 

Have to limit my Adam Curtis intake, it can be sobering and saddening if I watch it too often, as much as I love it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Ah, I have watched quite a lot of the latter, yes. I had to stop because the absolute truth of it made me feel queasy, to say the least.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Ah, I have watched quite a lot of the latter, yes. I had to stop because the absolute truth of it made me feel queasy, to say the least.

Every time I find myself getting pushed and pulled by stuff, I always come back to it to ground myself 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I hate to say it but I've seen a lot going around that we basically peaked in 2000 and it's been downhill since. I'm, sadly, inclined to agree. 

I see what you did there. lol

59 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Have to limit my Adam Curtis intake, it can be sobering and saddening if I watch it too often, as much as I love it.

Been ages since I watched him but can remember thinking at the time the historical events he discusses are really underexplored and used quite superficially, as enjoyable as his films are. I also felt like his argument (simplifying here but basically people are manipulated through their consumption of media narratives on things they don't understand) kind of defeated himself if you know what I mean? Maybe that's deliberate and it's all too postmodern and meta for me. 

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

Been ages since I watched him but can remember thinking at the time the historical events he discusses are really underexplored and used quite superficially, as enjoyable as his films are. I also felt like his argument (simplifying here but basically people are manipulated through their consumption of media narratives on things they don't understand) kind of defeated himself if you know what I mean? Maybe that's deliberate and it's all too postmodern and meta for me. 

'Meanwhile, in North Korea...'

(CUTS TO SYNCHRONIZED TABLE TENNIS TOURNAMENT) 

'...a new idea was taking hold, that would change silicon valley forever.'

(CUTS TO MAN MESSING AROUND WITH AN OLD FASHIONED COMPUTER)

Curtis documentaries are always a good watch (maybe not the recent one about communism), but he does tend to smash ideas together in a way that, while thought provoking, sometimes suggests connections between things that are a bit of a stretch.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bovril said:

I understand what you mean, but I tend to watch them to ground things, not as a directive in anyway, but yes the observations without too much irony is a bit cheeky.

33 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Taylor Swift fans have raised more than £180,000 for the families of the knife attack in Southport.

Bit odd how they keep mentioning Taylor swift is there any real need bbc have been saying her name all day in every report, I get it was a dance class for her but any real need to keep bringing her name up when they should be grieving for the victims and family’s.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Bit odd how they keep mentioning Taylor swift is there any real need bbc have been saying her name all day in every report, I get it was a dance class for her but any real need to keep bringing her name up when they should be grieving for the victims and family’s.

BBC and almost every other news broadcaster going over the top with meaningless reporting. As they so often do. Trying to over sensationalise to garner a bigger and wider public reaction. 

Swift has sent her condolences and expressed her shock and that should be that as far as name dropping is concerned

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Israel’s response to Saturday is to attempt to assassinate one of hezbollah’s top military men, (also wanted re the 1983 killing of 241 US marines) 

initially it was claimed that he had escaped the attack, leaving the building shortly before.  Now sources are quoted as saying he was killed.  I guess we’ll never actually know but there will be a huge funeral tomorrow.

if he had survived then it was hoped that hezbollahs response may not be so large. Now it’s said he has died, they will no doubt go big on an attack on Israel.  They had earlier managed to kill a civilian in a n kibbutz with a rocket that got through iron dome defences although that was just part of the daily exchange of fire.  if they do go big then how does the region avoid escalation to an all out conflict? 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Israel’s response to Saturday is to attempt to assassinate one of hezbollah’s top military men, (also wanted re the 1983 killing of 241 US marines) 

initially it was claimed that he had escaped the attack, leaving the building shortly before.  Now sources are quoted as saying he was killed.  I guess we’ll never actually know but there will be a huge funeral tomorrow.

if he had survived then it was hoped that hezbollahs response may not be so large. Now it’s said he has died, they will no doubt go big on an attack on Israel.  They had earlier managed to kill a civilian in a n kibbutz with a rocket that got through iron dome defences although that was just part of the daily exchange of fire.  if they do go big then how does the region avoid escalation to an all out conflict? 

I would imagine the USA will need to step in and use their influence on both the legit Israelis and the Palestinian rebels.