Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

Can't bring myself to read any details of the Southport incident. Having a daughter of a similar age who does a dance class it just hits too close to home

To anybody who has a lost a child and still manages to carry on you're literally superhuman to me as I know I couldn't do it

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, SpacedX said:

*Rote

I'm not talking about the terrible events in Southport or knife crime. What strikes me that the expectation of behaviour of some young people when they start going out is too low. Often loutish behaviour is dismissed as young people letting off steam or having a lark. As well as nurturing young people in the home, school and increasing youth services on the one hand there has to be zero tolerance from everything from vandalism, shop lifting and anti social behaviour. Everyone needs to not only know their rights but their responsibilities too. This from a bloke from a centre left working class background before anyone thinks I'm a dyed in wool Daily Mail Tory

• Like 3

Just now, Foxdiamond said:

I'm not talking about the terrible events in Southport or knife crime. What strikes me that the expectation of behaviour of some young people when they start going out is too low. Often loutish behaviour is dismissed as young people letting off steam or having a lark. As well as nurturing young people in the home, school and increasing youth services on the one hand there has to be zero tolerance from everything from vandalism, shop lifting and anti social behaviour. Everyone needs to not only know their rights but their responsibilities too. This from a bloke from a centre left working class background before anyone thinks I'm a dyed in wool Daily Mail Tory

I think you may have replied to me by mistake. My post was in merely in response to Dagger's erroneous autocorrect (which I suspected had been the case so I really shouldn't have made it in the first place). 

3 minutes ago, SpacedX said:

I think you may have replied to me by mistake. My post was in merely in response to Dagger's erroneous autocorrect (which I suspected had been the case so I really shouldn't have made it in the first place). 

Sorry for my error

• Like 1

Huge respect for his courage and conviction, but a feckless and ill-conceived act nonetheless which has achieved very little. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw4yd1e99jno

Saying that, Rock n' Roll lost it's edgy confrontational polemic decades ago. Musicians used to be genuinely subversive and unafraid to flout the law or challenge ingrained societal conventions/cultural norms, ingrained prejudice, the establishment and even social taboo in the pursuit of artistic and/or moral integrity. (And I'm not referring to Bono or Sting ffs). Amusing that such an insipid band like the 1975 now takes up the mantle. 

5 minutes ago, SpacedX said:

Huge respect for his courage and conviction, but a feckless and ill-conceived act nonetheless which has achieved very little. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw4yd1e99jno

Saying that, Rock n' Roll lost it's edgy confrontational polemic decades ago. Musicians used to be genuinely subversive and unafraid to flout the law or challenge ingrained societal conventions/cultural norms, ingrained prejudice, the establishment and even social taboo in the pursuit of artistic and/or moral integrity. (And I'm not referring to Bono or Sting ffs). Amusing that such an insipid band like the 1975 now takes up the mantle. 

Only thing I would say it that rock stars back in the 60s and 70s probably gave hard drugs a veneer of glamour they did not deserve until of course a number died or their habit caused health problems 

4 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Only thing I would say it that rock stars back in the 60s and 70s probably gave hard drugs a veneer of glamour they did not deserve until of course a number died or their habit caused health problems 

Some did. There were some that were on a self-destructive mission such as Jim Morrison and Keith Moon and others like Brian Jones and Syd Barrett, that simply weren't predisposed to fame or able to deal with it. 

However, I'm referring to those that invested their currency of fame to challenge the ills of society, take a controversial stance and used their artistic voice as a genuinely transformational agent of change. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bovril said:

Britain has a higher tolerance to anti social behaviour than any country I've spent time in. 

To many do good'ers around. A group of young lads could smash up a bus shelter and if caught they face no further action just slap on the wrist and told to go home. Police aren't allowed to do anything no more, arrest them... and the officers get questioned why and are made to feel guilty. Prisons maybe getting full, but the question remains who is in jail and are some seriously a danger to the public. I mean someone whose been doing for credit card fraud or whatever... bad crime yes but throwing them in prison for years whilst a guy who abuses and threatens members of the public is allowed to walk the streets.

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SpacedX said:

Some did. There were some that were on a self-destructive mission such as Jim Morrison and Keith Moon and others like Brian Jones and Syd Barrett, that simply weren't predisposed to fame or able to deal with it. 

However, I'm referring to those that invested their currency of fame to challenge the ills of society, take a controversial stance and used their artistic voice as a genuinely transformational agent of change. 

Agree with you there. I loved the Stones and The Beatles but their well documented use of drugs was unfortunate. Must have been a crazy sort of life though.

7 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Agree with you there. I loved the Stones and The Beatles but their well documented use of drugs was unfortunate. Must have been a crazy sort of life though.

Again, not really talking about drug use in spite of the fact that artists have used them for inspiration from antiquity to the present day. The Beatles were no different to the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood or Romantic poets in that respect - although after years of acid, Lennon was the only one that wound up on opiates which clearly had a detrimental effect on his judgement. Reminded of the likely apocryphal story of Coleridge conceiving Kubla-Khan and his visions of Xanadu during an opiate induced afternoon slumber in his Nether-Stowey cottage when he was disturbed by an  unwanted visitor (possibly a butcher's boy from Porlock), which wrenched him out of his reverie. 

Anyway, I was referring to those that utilised their artistry as an agent of change. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

The product of a ruined education system.

We focussed on making children learn by rote and forgot to teach them to love learning and how to think.

By far the biggest problem is that people aren't equipped with the skills to appraise information, we see it here every day. Until we address that gaping hole in the national curriculum nothing will ever change - you can't legislate people cleverer.

This. 100%.

Been in education 14 years and my god, the drop. Covid really exacerbated it but it was going downhill. One can sum it up as

- had smartphones before they were 12

- had smartphones after they were 12

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

This. 100%.

Been in education 14 years and my god, the drop. Covid really exacerbated it but it was going downhill. One can sum it up as

It drove me insane. One of the reasons I left.

16 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

This. 100%.

We have been very strict about screens with our child and you can really tell.

My wife is a member of the Smartphone free childhood whatsapp group. I am hopeful that the government will legislate against children being allowed them at such young ages as they are clearly damaging.

My friend had homework for his 6 year old son issued via app on a tablet the other day. When he advised the teacher that they didn't allow their children to use a tablet she had no answer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kenny said:

My wife is a member of the Smartphone free childhood whatsapp group. I am hopeful that the government will legislate against children being allowed them at such young ages as they are clearly damaging.

My friend had homework for his 6 year old son issued via app on a tablet the other day. When he advised the teacher that they didn't allow their children to use a tablet she had no answer. 

That's the flipside. So many, particularly younger, teachers have gotten used to digital delivery.  I teach mostly online but digital delivery of actual work, mostly rubbish.

More groups of parents need phone-free agreements. It's just social expectation that gets them. 

• Like 1

Is it time to move things to higher level in terms of rioting is it a police matter or an Army matter. Once the police lose control... that's it. Whilst the army have experience of dealing with more hostile situation are more protected. These hooligans will back off knowing armed unit is present.

Edited by Leicesterpool

14 minutes ago, kenny said:

The head at our school always bleats on about screen time and not giving them too much... then they have an ipad in the class to use and they let them watch TV. Never once mentioned those things or how long they let the kids use them. 

We only know as our lad told us... they are 4 and 5! How are you meant to monitor the amount of screen time if they let them use them and don't tell us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

To many excuses for people nowadays and seemingly being able to get away with anything. 

• Like 1