Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

13 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Watching from afar it’s quite alarming the public disorder spreading across the country. Could be even worse this weekend.

hope it stays peaceful in Leicester 🤞🏽🤞🏽

I think some of it is to do with the heatwave. Those on edge flip and go mad. It doesn't take much for some to go on the rampage.

Let;s hope thunderstorms kick in soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I think some of it is to do with the heatwave. Those on edge flip and go mad. It doesn't take much for some to go on the rampage.

Let;s hope thunderstorms kick in soon.

Reminds me of something I read a while back (can't remember the source).

Poorer areas are much more likely to be less green (fewer trees, parks, leafy gardens, grass, etc.) and have a lot more concrete. These areas trap heat and are much hotter than leafy, greener areas. Heat is a contributor to violent and antisocial behaviour, so of two people of the same temperament the one that is more likely to commit a violent act is the one who lives in a deprived area just by virtue of where they live rather than who they are as a person.

Obviously in reality who you are as a person plays a huge part, but it's interesting how social geography can have an effect.

• Like 1

The Guardian claim they have seen details of 19 planned rallys this weekend and a lot of people are saying how Twitter is one of the reasons for this quick spread of misinformation. 

The fact Musk replied to one of Tommy Robinson's tweets as well just shows that place is becoming more dangerous than it already was. The fact people are using it whilst saying "can't believe how bad it is here, I don't want to use the platform..." whilst having a paid for blue tick and then using it to promote their business or project seems very ironic. 

Zuck dropped the ball with Threads, but he only made that because he could, he never had an intention of supporting that for long. 

• Like 1

Those mentioning heatwave are correct that it is a contributing factor and the statement about poorer areas being less green, built on concrete, etc. 

I did a quick check and the majority of riots/ large scale disorder seem to take place over summer. The link to sports is also a factor. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

The Guardian claim they have seen details of 19 planned rallys this weekend and a lot of people are saying how Twitter is one of the reasons for this quick spread of misinformation. 

The fact Musk replied to one of Tommy Robinson's tweets as well just shows that place is becoming more dangerous than it already was. The fact people are using it whilst saying "can't believe how bad it is here, I don't want to use the platform..." whilst having a paid for blue tick and then using it to promote their business or project seems very ironic. 

Zuck dropped the ball with Threads, but he only made that because he could, he never had an intention of supporting that for long. 

I'm genuinely a bit surprised a major rival hasn't put out a Twitter alternative and properly stuck to it to be honest. Surely you can release something remarkably similar to Twitter without breaking any patent laws. 

The platform has been going rapidly downhill since Musk took over but him proactively using it to push hate speech and influence elections is utterly wild. 

Even if the likes of Zuckerberg or Pichai agree with him politically or equally want to see a Republican presidency, they've still surely got to see that there's a wide open goal there. 

People will walk off twitter en masse if you offer them an alternative that's at very least masquerading as politically neutral. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Those mentioning heatwave are correct that it is a contributing factor and the statement about poorer areas being less green, built on concrete, etc. 

I did a quick check and the majority of riots/ large scale disorder seem to take place over summer. The link to sports is also a factor. 

I remember the Portsmouth riots in 2000 I think? That was insane.

If it kicked off in Leicester, like the one on Melton Road the other year (I know that wasn't against the police), then it'd be massive news nationally considering how diverse the city is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Agreed - my son is autistic and to even mention it is distasteful at best tbh.

Don't know why it's been disclosed about his Autism diagnosis, to be honest. 

I know some could say certain rubbish like 'the other young guy who tried to kill Trump allegedly was himself also Autistic, so people with such conditions are more likely to carry out such attacks' etc. - but it's not as if all Autistic people would have the same morbid thought pattern idealogy..

Edited by Wymsey
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Love her reaction as they come over for the interview, as if she's waiting to be asked something. But she's so irrelevant he doesn't care...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

I can watch idiots getting schooled by dog officers all day.

That dog is loving life! Look at their tail going. 

I love the shout of "police brutality." You got your warning...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm genuinely a bit surprised a major rival hasn't put out a Twitter alternative and properly stuck to it to be honest. Surely you can release something remarkably similar to Twitter without breaking any patent laws. 

The platform has been going rapidly downhill since Musk took over but him proactively using it to push hate speech and influence elections is utterly wild. 

Even if the likes of Zuckerberg or Pichai agree with him politically or equally want to see a Republican presidency, they've still surely got to see that there's a wide open goal there. 

People will walk off twitter en masse if you offer them an alternative that's at very least masquerading as politically neutral. 

BlueSky is essentially Twitter of a decade or so ago - it looks and operates very similar. Unfortunately not enough people have switched over so it's still a bit quiet. A lot of people have built a brand on Twitter and are reluctant to give it up.

3 minutes ago, izzymuzzet said:

BlueSky is essentially Twitter of a decade or so ago - it looks and operates very similar. Unfortunately not enough people have switched over so it's still a bit quiet. A lot of people have built a brand on Twitter and are reluctant to give it up.

Twitter is hard to give up because there is so much genuinely interesting stuff on it, but also because almost every day you come across some absolute insanity that gives you a window into the dustiest corners of the human psyche

Edited by bovril

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Twitter is hard to give up because there is so much genuinely interesting stuff on it, but also because almost every day you come across some absolute insanity that gives you a window into the dustiest corners of the human psyche

My issue is it's very useful for work, which is why I initially joined it. There's no doubt I miss stuff when I'm not on it. But I undoubtedly feel better when I don't visit the site and have pretty much stopped posting anything there now. My initial plan is not to use Twitter at all in August and see how it goes. Only been a couple of days so far but my head already feels lighter. It's an absolute cesspit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, izzymuzzet said:

My issue is it's very useful for work, which is why I initially joined it. There's no doubt I miss stuff when I'm not on it. But I undoubtedly feel better when I don't visit the site and have pretty much stopped posting anything there now. My initial plan is not to use Twitter at all in August and see how it goes. Only been a couple of days so far but my head already feels lighter. It's an absolute cesspit.

Too much of it is definitely bad for your health. But as a place to get a wide range of views and perspectives I think it's unmatched.

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

Too much of it is definitely bad for your health. But as a place to get a wide range of views and perspectives I think it's unmatched.

You're right. On the other hand there are thousands of books I still want to read and if I'm lucky another 40 or 50 years to get through them. And very few of them will get me so riled up I can't sleep.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, izzymuzzet said:

Twitter I think was the peak of social media around 2012-14. It was fun, informative and you could connect with so many people with the same interests as you. Since the world became more divided post 2016, it deteriorated and Dorsey got out at the right time I think. Now Musk has it, the past few weeks have taught me that he is deliberately manipulating the site to meet his own personal interests. It will die a death very quickly and our lives will be better without it.