Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

problem is for them, if they don't do that... than all of the questions at the dispatch box become about that. it's a sensible attack line. 

but a GE, with the main platform being re-join (tory) or stay as we are (labour) would be impossible to predict.  especially given that a significant proportion of the population state that they want to re-join.... 

let's wait to see, but it would be a defining moment for Rishi and a clear separation from "the last 13 years".... 

1 minute ago, Greg2607 said:

problem is for them, if they don't do that... than all of the questions at the dispatch box become about that. it's a sensible attack line. 

but a GE, with the main platform being re-join (tory) or stay as we are (labour) would be impossible to predict.  especially given that a significant proportion of the population state that they want to re-join.... 

let's wait to see, but it would be a defining moment for Rishi and a clear separation from "the last 13 years".... 

Rishi is a solid leaver 

3 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Quite impressive that Rish! has taken the view that not a single MP is competent enough for the role he's had to go cap in hand to the Lords.

There are so many members of the house of Lords these days some of them are bound to be competent.

17 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Quite impressive that Rish! has taken the view that not a single MP is competent enough for the role he's had to go cap in hand to the Lords.

DC isn't yet in the house of lords....

Easy line for Labour, another unelected politician in charge of the Tories to go with an unelected Prime Minister.

• Like 1

If you're needing a bit of Monday motivation, just remember that Cameron bonked a dead pig, then proceeded to fvck the entire country into oblivion. 

The fact he's about to walk back into government is reminder for us all that you should never give up hope. Keep going. :wub:

Aside from Brexit, whether you are left or right and taking politics out of it, DC is the best public speaker in modern government, I think he edges Blair. Not a bad move from Rishi, a dead dog is an upgrade on Braverman so removing her will only make the tories stronger. 

• Like 2

I think full rejoining is probably unrealistic for at least another 15 years or so, once it’s been a generation since we left. 

Still I’ve always felt a drift towards a Norway/Switzerland style status where you’re essentially inside the EU and have freedom of movement of people and goods but no say on the laws is probably inevitable. 

Most polls have it around 67%-33% these days in terms of people who think it was a mistake to leave vs those who still think it was the right decision, so it seems like a pretty clear majority. 

I think having a Norway like deal is probably enough to satisfy both sides, as most remainers and businesses get their freedom of movement and trade back, whilst the EU also gets an economy as big as the UK in its sphere without the UK having the ability to vote on any of its laws, and still has enough to say to other nations “this is the inferior deal you get if you leave.”

The UK-EU trade deal is up for renegotiation in 2025, I’ve always kind of thought both sides had built it in to drift towards a Norway-style status once the furore has died down and the EU got the chance to show other nations who had populist anti-EU parties that the grass isn’t greener. Think that’s already worked, a lot of the populist anti-immigrant parties doing well in countries like France, Sweden and Poland all had campaigned on EU referendums before Brexit but have since dropped EU membership referendum ideas since the UK became a bit of a useful idiot for the EU.

Edited by Sampson

7 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Bringing Cameron back is a wise move. A much more palatable politician and someone who can make the tories electable again! 

Does he? With who?

Sunak will have alienated the right with this, alienated the red-wall and the only people who will be jumping for joy with this will be those who only ever vote Conservative anyway.

I think operationally it's better than having Braverman in cabinet, but won't prove widely popular with the electorate when it comes to voting.

1 minute ago, LVFox said:

Does he? With who?

Sunak will have alienated the right with this, alienated the red-wall and the only people who will be jumping for joy with this will be those who only ever vote Conservative anyway.

I think operationally it's better than having Braverman in cabinet, but won't prove widely popular with the electorate when it comes to voting.

I think he was taking the p*ss...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

I think he was taking the p*ss...

Kind of, but I do feel that he'll be palatable to those in the south who could be won over by a boring centrist like Starmer but now see a safe pair of hands in Cameron, so wont vote for change.

• Haha 1