Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Was there a ‘good’ empire in the 19th/first half 20th century ?? 

Many European countries were guilty. Do the Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italians do the same navel gazing as we do over this ??

They didn’t rule the waves like we did.

20 minutes ago, Dunge said:

They didn’t rule the waves like we did.

It's because Britain ruled the waves that they were able to abolish the slave trade.  The other empires were generally happy to keep it up and an estimated 40,000 sailors died and approx 1% of British GDP over the first half of the 19th century, went towards the suppression of the international slave trade. 

If the whole world supports slavery and one small but powerful nation decides to put a stop to it (at great expense), then that small but powerful nation might get a little credit.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Spice

Goodness me.

Is there no clause or edict in which there can be a 'no confidence' election called immediately.

This is just net loss for Britain now. Catty scrabbling and infighting causing harm to the population.

19 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Yes of course they do and no of course there wasn't, but that's just whataboutery isn't it?

Of course the British Empire was evil and should be considered fascist by modern standards, of course all European empires were. Saying "oh, but actually the British Empire abolished slavery" absolutely is little different to "Mussolini made the train run on time" or "Hitler improved the German economy" tbf. I mean, yeah, certain group of multiple genration native men of a certain religion might get jobs in factories, but it's hardly worth the deaths of millions of people for having "the wrong" social, economic, religious or immigration background is it?

Concentration camps existed in Kenya until well into the 1960s. Millions of natives in Austalia, US, Canada and the Carribean were killed so we could take their land. Farmland in Ireland and India was forceably stolen from the locals and then the British at best ignored famines and let people starve in those countries due to its ideas of social darwinism and at worst actively redistributed food from those countries to Britain.

Tens of millions of people died both directly and indirectly at the hands of the British empire because they were not British or not Protestant enough and British and Protestant people were allegedly prioritised for resources under the banner of the empire. If that's not fascism, what is?

And yes, of course it was "of its time" and no, it doesn't mean we as Brits have to apologise to the rest of the world forever, but the fact still plenty of Brits romanticise the Empire and we don't even teach its horrors to children in history lessons in the same way Germany does to its children of the horrors of Nazi Germany is unfathomable to me. It's one of the debates I find it actually hard to comprehend the thought process of the other side on. 

A difference is that Nazi Germany was an anomaly.  Most of the world was not behaving like Nazis.

Slavery is evil, we know that.  But in the days of Empire, every country practised slavery.  India, Africa, all the European empires.  Even the American indigenous peoples, north and south.  Yes, we can look back through time and declare that every country was evil for practising slavery, every country was evil for barring votes for women, every country was evil for not following a net zero agenda, and so forth.  But what's the point?  Is it not better to give some credit for what they did right, even though perhaps (unlike Newton) they didn't have the benefit of "standing on the shoulders of giants".?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

A difference is that Nazi Germany was an anomaly.  Most of the world was not behaving like Nazis.

Slavery is evil, we know that.  But in the days of Empire, every country practised slavery.  India, Africa, all the European empires.  Even the American indigenous peoples, north and south.  Yes, we can look back through time and declare that every country was evil for practising slavery, every country was evil for barring votes for women, every country was evil for not following a net zero agenda, and so forth.  But what's the point?  Is it not better to give some credit for what they did right, even though perhaps (unlike Newton) they didn't have the benefit of "standing on the shoulders of giants".?

Isn't this missing the points you are responding to?

• Like 1

No Common Sense Ministers in Italy

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/11/14/italy-obese-murderer-released-jail-cant-give-special-diet/

An obese man who was jailed for 30 years for murdering his girlfriend has been released because his Italian prison could not cater to his low-calorie diet requirement. Dimitri Fricano stabbed his 27-year-old girlfriend, Erika Preti, 57 times after she accused him of spilling crumbs on their bed

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Yes of course they do and no of course there wasn't, but that's just whataboutery isn't it?

Of course the British Empire was evil and should be considered fascist by modern standards, of course all European empires were. Saying "oh, but actually the British Empire abolished slavery" absolutely is little different to "Mussolini made the train run on time" or "Hitler improved the German economy" tbf. I mean, yeah, certain group of multiple genration native men of a certain religion might get jobs in factories, but it's hardly worth the deaths of millions of people for having "the wrong" social, economic, religious or immigration background is it?

Concentration camps existed in Kenya until well into the 1960s. Millions of natives in Austalia, US, Canada and the Carribean were killed so we could take their land. Farmland in Ireland and India was forceably stolen from the locals and then the British at best ignored famines and let people starve in those countries due to its ideas of social darwinism and at worst actively redistributed food from those countries to Britain.

Tens of millions of people died both directly and indirectly at the hands of the British empire because they were not British or not Protestant enough and British and Protestant people were allegedly prioritised for resources under the banner of the empire. If that's not fascism, what is?

And yes, of course it was "of its time" and no, it doesn't mean we as Brits have to apologise to the rest of the world forever, but the fact still plenty of Brits romanticise the Empire and we don't even teach its horrors to children in history lessons in the same way Germany does to its children of the horrors of Nazi Germany is unfathomable to me. It's one of the debates I find it actually hard to comprehend the thought process of the other side on. 

Bearing in mind that for the vast majority of people living in this country during the formation of the empire life was very bleak and the ordinary folk had no say in how things were run. 

2 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

majority of people living in this country during the formation of the empire life was very bleak and the ordinary folk had no say in how things were run. 

This for me makes it all the more baffling that people take any pride in it whatsoever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Also, the gall of Braverman for claiming to have begged the Prime Minister to "stem the rising tide of racism" is fvcking sensational. lol

A parody show would genuinely have struggled to beat this Government's antics.

• Like 2

Inflation has fallen to 4.6%. Rishi Sunak, lord saviour has saved us from the abyss. I can’t wait to spend all of my extra cash on everything now I can afford it because inflation is only 4.6%.

4.6%!! now call an election and see what the rest of the public think!

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Inflation has fallen to 4.6%. Rishi Sunak, lord saviour has saved us from the abyss. I can’t wait to spend all of my extra cash on everything now I can afford it because inflation is only 4.6%.

Enjoy your "tax cut"... 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

just in time for all those annual wage negotiations as well. perfect timing.