Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

Apparently progress is being made on the release of up to 50 hostages in exchange for women prisoners in Israeli jails (and their children who were presumably born whilst they were incarcerated) 

word is that ten hostages will be released each day through a five day ceasefire. 

I wonder if the hostages will all be Israeli?  If so, you’d assume will all be children elderly and women (in that order).   If they are then you’d wonder how Hamas can justify holding onto foreign nationals.  I’m amazed that they haven’t been forced to release them already by Qatar. .  

Israel don’t actually know how many hostages there are - there seems to be 200 bodies from Oct 7 which remain unidentified. They were originally assumed to be civilians but about a week ago, Israel corrected the count down from 1400 to 1200 and said that these additional 200 are assumed to be from Hamas. The bodies are so badly charred that they are unable to be identified.  I suppose they would be able to get make dna analysis to assess if they were indigenous to the region so that should be correct. but it wouldn’t be a shock to me if the number of hostages turn out to be 180/200. 

31 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

This brute is a massive problem to any “peace”. Once criticised the highly respected Board of Deputies for suggesting a two state solution - long before Oct 7.

You don’t think the Palestinians need new leadership to make peace (like Israel do ?)

after all, Abbas has form for  walking away from a good deal (2008). He’d likely do the same again. 

5 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Sounds like the Government weren’t listening - certainly to begin with anyway as they all thought it was a bit of a joke and just pass over .

I have a little sympathy for this at the start - lets face it everyone said the same things about SARS etc, and nothing happened.  That sympathy ends once coverage from Italy started coming through.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You don’t think the Palestinians need new leadership to make peace (like Israel do ?)

after all, Abbas has form for  walking away from a good deal (2008). He’d likely do the same again. 

A two state solutions would only work if Israel could trust that Palestinian groups would not continue to fire missiles.  And indeed that Israel would actually stop all settlers.  Neither side has attractive government majorities without the nutters unfortunately so this is incredibly difficult to achieve.  They could use some FPTP!

Unfortunately I don’t think a 2 state solution would be acceptable to any hardliner on either side.. there’s so many people who have said they are committed to the total annihilation of Israel  and it seems there are those thinking the same from the Israeli side about  giving legitimacy toHamas or the  Palestinian authority.

Either side acknowledging parity with their opposite amounts to treason for some..

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah. The Falklands are what they bang on about when an election is due and they need some clout, not once they've already won. 

He's a fiscal libertarian economist that ran against the old minister of the economy in a nation with more financial problems than Everton. 

Highly doubt the first thing he's gonna do is posture over some irrelevant islands.

(He'll save that for next year when he's not made anything better and everyone's angry.) 

Sounds like my cue to make a flippant comment and have it misunderstood as serious input to me. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

This brute is a massive problem to any “peace”. Once criticised the highly respected Board of Deputies for suggesting a two state solution - long before Oct 7.

She is a vile, vile woman. I don't know why we keep giving this horrible little racist airtime. Awful human. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Why wouldn’t the Palestinians need new leaders too ? Abbas was elected in 2005 - he should’ve been gone 10 years ago. 

just like the brute, we shouldn’t be giving either the time of day. 

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Why wouldn’t the Palestinians need new leaders too ? Abbas was elected in 2005 - he should’ve been gone 10 years ago. 

just like the brute, we shouldn’t be giving either the time of day. 

The Israelis have an option to vote him out - which they will 

the Palestinians don’t seem to have a working mechanism for that - this seems to be a common theme across many parts of the world - even those countries which are supposed to be democratic! 

7 minutes ago, Daggers said:

You're going to be too busy arguing with the club that you deserve more than a 1984 Austin Maestro as a job benefit.

I've had 2 Maestros and they were quite fun to drive in that, even at 30 mph, you were fighting the car to stay on the road, as if you were doing 100 mph in any regular car.

All the thrill of Silverstone, with no worry from the Rozzers! Though almost as much chance of death as driving round Silverstone.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I've had 2 Maestros and they were quite fun to drive in that, even at 30 mph, you were fighting the car to stay on the road, as if you were doing 100 mph in any regular car.

All the thrill of Silverstone, with no worry from the Rozzers! Though almost as much chance of death as driving round Silverstone.

*Nods in Austin Maxi

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sadly all died in car accident 😞 

Tired cliché that it is and I'm sure everybody would see this as a tragedy, it is weird how you respond to things like this when you become a parent yourself.

I was only vaguely aware of them being unaccounted for, and then you see the update and it proper gets you in the stomach. Awful news

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Tired cliché that it is and I'm sure everybody would see this as a tragedy, it is weird how you respond to things like this when you become a parent yourself.

I was only vaguely aware of them being unaccounted for, and then you see the update and it proper gets you in the stomach. Awful news

My eldest is learning to drive and he knows I'm not overkeen....I try to keep sowing with him that cars need respect and I personally don't think (male)  teenagers are capable of that kinda respect (that's not a dig at the poor lads involved btw, just a reminder that cars and kids aren't a reassuring mix)