Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

29 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Killing Newsnight - the BBC is signing its own death warrant.

No right thinking person is going to defend it in future for a cooking show or dance competition. If you can’t keep the only daily investigative journalistic show running you no longer have a news service worth speaking about. Newsnight is the only BBC output I ever watch live, I’m not paying for a licence anymore.

No doubt the government will be pleased as it reduces scrutiny 

Prestatyn and Camber Sands Pontins holiday camps close with immediate effect:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67578045

I've not stayed at either of these but I did drop my children off at the latter to spend a week there with their grandparents, without realising it was Pontins and nearly didn't let them stay.

I have stayed at the Brean Sands one, and if you're wondering what that was like, I'd say two things:

1) When the roof of the main building collapsed a couple of years later, it was very much in keeping with the vibe of the place

2) Why the f*&+ have the British government spaffed £140 million on not sending anyone to Rwanda when there's a far worse deterrent already up and running much closer to home?

Over to you, friends at Trip Advisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1752567-d607436-Reviews-Pontin_s_Camber_Sands_Centre-Camber_Rye_East_Sussex_England.html

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Prestatyn and Camber Sands Pontins holiday camps close with immediate effect:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67578045

I've not stayed at either of these but I did drop my children off at the latter to spend a week there with their grandparents, without realising it was Pontins and nearly didn't let them stay.

I have stayed at the Brean Sands one, and if you're wondering what that was like, I'd say two things:

1) When the roof of the main building collapsed a couple of years later, it was very much in keeping with the vibe of the place

2) Why the f*&+ have the British government spaffed £140 million on not sending anyone to Rwanda when there's a far worse deterrent already up and running much closer to home?

Over to you, friends at Trip Advisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1752567-d607436-Reviews-Pontin_s_Camber_Sands_Centre-Camber_Rye_East_Sussex_England.html

I've stayed at prestatyn a few times and it was getting tired. Always enjoyed it though, but of a shame it's gone really.

59 minutes ago, kenny said:

I've stayed at prestatyn a few times and it was getting tired. Always enjoyed it though, but of a shame it's gone really.

Despite our horrendous Brean Sands experience my in laws have been to several since and never complained, it was only when they took the grandkids to Camber when they thought they'd been had.

The thing I hate about it is that although it's cheap relative to other holiday options it's not that cheap and if you're on your arse financially it's a bleeding insult. There's a difference between something being basic/no frills/cheap and cheerful and it being broken/neglected/filthy and what I've seen of it, it was all of the latter.

The visitor behaviour at some of the parks has been pretty grim (there's one in Southport where the local MP complained about it being a blight on the area because of how horrible the guests were) but it's really not going to bring out the best in people is it, if you check in, find the bed is broken, the TV is about to fall off the wall and the kitchen bit doesn't look like it's been cleaned for weeks?

They're owned by Britannia Hotels; I've never had the pleasure of staying at one of their actual hotels, but their reputation isn't great either. Makes you wonder if they're desperate for investment or if this is the actual business model

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Despite our horrendous Brean Sands experience my in laws have been to several since and never complained, it was only when they took the grandkids to Camber when they thought they'd been had.

The thing I hate about it is that although it's cheap relative to other holiday options it's not that cheap and if you're on your arse financially it's a bleeding insult. There's a difference between something being basic/no frills/cheap and cheerful and it being broken/neglected/filthy and what I've seen of it, it was all of the latter.

The visitor behaviour at some of the parks has been pretty grim (there's one in Southport where the local MP complained about it being a blight on the area because of how horrible the guests were) but it's really not going to bring out the best in people is it, if you check in, find the bed is broken, the TV is about to fall off the wall and the kitchen bit doesn't look like it's been cleaned for weeks?

They're owned by Britannia Hotels; I've never had the pleasure of staying at one of their actual hotels, but their reputation isn't great either. Makes you wonder if they're desperate for investment or if this is the actual business model

We used them on Sun £9.50 holidays as well as boys walking holidays. They serve a purpose but they can be run down.

The are 100% all thats wrong with society at times. But then, I have attended a Butlins 80s weekender, that was a special experience too.

8 hours ago, kenny said:

We used them on Sun £9.50 holidays as well as boys walking holidays. They serve a purpose but they can be run down.

The are 100% all thats wrong with society at times. But then, I have attended a Butlins 80s weekender, that was a special experience too.

My trip to Brean was a Sun holiday (one I didn't even pay for) and I think that was the only reason I didn't kick off.

In fairness to The Sun, we've tagged along on other Sun holidays at other firms' caravan parks and they were fine.

Hadn't realised that Brean actually closed earlier this year, ahead of a seven figure refit to house workers who will be building a new nuclear power station. Apparently it will turn back into a holiday camp in three years, so there's hope for it yet.

Looked like nobody had spent any money on it for at least 25 years when we were there

15 minutes ago, nnfox said:

I love stories like this!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67602627

Amazing.

"Mrs Edwards said she used to bang her trowel on the bomb to remove earth after gardening."

I know it says it turned out that there was only a small amount of charge in it but that's almost worse - I think I'd rather my blast injuries weren't survivable

On 03/12/2023 at 10:27, Bellend Sebastian said:

Did we ever get to the bottom of why hand grenades are pulled out of the River Soar every few months and everything gets shut down while the bomb squad sorts it out?

I see through your plan, pretending you don't know why they're there.

In the midst of all this cutting immigration Rwanda bullshit, the Home Office have increased the income requirements for spouse visas to nearly GBP38k, in line with working visas.  So you have to earn in the 73rd percentile to be able to have your foreign spouse join you in the UK.  Outrageous.  

Worrying time for us Sikhs, the Modi/Hindutva agenda is taking course.  As a Sikh, I dont think i trust Sunakh's government to protect me as a British citizen

https://time.com/6342873/india-sikhs-persecution/

Great article and summary of the injustices and genocide Sikhs have suffered and why so many Sikhs want there own homeland.

Edited by Dr The Singh
  • Like 1