Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

8 hours ago, bmt said:

To be fair they could have just stopped oil

You cant really though can you? its a process and it will take time.  If you look around the world, the UK is lightyears ahead of many many nations and this should be recognized. We are on the right path.  sure, apply political pressure to keep up the moment  but painting a sports venue orange will only result in ridicule and laughter.

46 minutes ago, MPH said:

You cant really though can you? its a process and it will take time.  If you look around the world, the UK is lightyears ahead of many many nations and this should be recognized. We are on the right path.  sure, apply political pressure to keep up the moment  but painting a sports venue orange will only result in ridicule and laughter.

I’m sure there are thousands who support their campaigns and methods. 
Meanwhile the government grant hundreds of new oil and gas licenses. 
I know who’s doing the right thing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Are you in favour of the total banning of oil and oil products, or are you in favour of continuing its use where necessary but importing oil rather than producing it domestically?

Edited by dsr-burnley

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

Are you in favour of the total banning of oil and oil products, or are you in favour of continuing its use where necessary but importing oil rather than producing it domestically?

I don’t think even the JSO protesters want a total ban (obviously there are outliers). I just think granting new licenses will not do anything to help rid us of our dependence on fossil fuels. There are far more informed and eloquent individuals in the science and technology thread. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The inquest into the death of that head teacher that committed suicide after an Ofsted visit is one of the bleakest things I've read about in a long time

I've just read it, it's a horrible, horrible read. 

Highlights huge abysmal failings in the Ofsted system and the mental health services of this country. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MPH said:

But no one is suggesting the oil taps are turned off today, this year or in the next decade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

id much rather we produce our own oil than  feed another monster like we have done Russia. Whilst some people are throwing orange paint around, people in Ukraine  are having their lives destroyed by a war machine we have helped to feed by buying their oil and Europe their gas.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

But no one is suggesting the oil taps are turned off today, this year or in the next decade

i Think some elements of Just stop oil are hoping for exactly that. Otherwise, why protest?

it would be very short sighted of them to not see the progress the UK is making. We are literally miles ahead of so many other nations in that respect.

the UK is literally 3rd on the list of nations leading the way in renewable energy.

https://www.climatecouncil.org.au/11-countries-leading-the-charge-on-renewable-energy/

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lionator said:

Talking of silly costs. £140,000,000 spent on this stupid Rwanda scheme, and honestly for what? 

I guess they saw it as, spend £140m. Saves more in paying to house, feed, rehome, etc etc etc 

8 hours ago, Lionator said:

Talking of silly costs. £140,000,000 spent on this stupid Rwanda scheme, and honestly for what? 

BBC News - UK paid Rwanda an extra £100m for asylum deal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67656220

Make that a total of £240 million.

Total disgrace how they throw money around and then can't pump money into services that desperately need it here.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sly said:

I guess they saw it as, spend £140m. Saves more in paying to house, feed, rehome, etc etc etc 

The problem is that the amount Rwanda would take is very small, so I’m not even sure it would be worth it in the long run? Especially as we’ll be getting Rwandan refugees in return. 

They could’ve just spent that money to clear the backlog or to go harder on people smugglers, but no, they’ve put all of their eggs in this absolutely pointless basket. 

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The problem is that the amount Rwanda would take is very small, so I’m not even sure it would be worth it in the long run? Especially as we’ll be getting Rwandan refugees in return. 

They could’ve just spent that money to clear the backlog or to go harder on people smugglers, but no, they’ve put all of their eggs in this absolutely pointless basket. 

It’s a stupid system. 

We would have been better sending them all to Australia. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

https://news.sky.com/story/pms-rwanda-policy-has-already-cost-240m-despite-never-being-used-13025310

£290m on the Rwanda scheme soon. Christ. 'We have to cut public services'. 

It's even more expensive than the PPE Medpro contracts! And set to deliver about the same level of value

• Like 1