Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

52 minutes ago, MPH said:

This is for the existing permits and licenses.

Under no obligation  doesn't mean they will refuse to. Besides, they want more licenses  as part of the contract  can make it that they have to sell at least part of it to the British market

How many times does it need to be said that we don't have and never will have the refining  capacity for the type of oil extracted on our shores.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MPH said:

well, thats kind of how contracts work - you negotiate to make sure both sides get what they want.

and to your second point, just because we currently have the wrong type of refinery for the oil we produce does not mean that can not be changed or adapted.

For 50 years we have not had the refinery capacity for our own oil, where do your think the investment is going to come from to develop them now when such a facility will have a 20 year life at best.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

How many times does it need to be said that we don't have and never will have the refining  capacity for the type of oil extracted on our shores.

as has been mentioned, there is no reason why we can not adapt the refineries we have. its been mentioned that it is ' cost prohibitive' to do that, but i  will interpret that as the oil companies not wanting to eat into their own profits.

3 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

For 50 years we have not had the refinery capacity for our own oil, where do your think the investment is going to come from to develop them now when such a facility will have a 20 year life at best.

I can gaurentee you the profits some of these companies can make in 20 years will massively outstrip the cost of doing so

You’re right, the US situation is not comparable. It’s debatable whether Trump affected the market or it was a combination of previously high prices flattening and overproduction causing a fall in prices. Trump used it to boost popularity. 

The cost of building new refineries wouldn’t be covered by the new companies, it would be subsidised by the government (historical evidence here). Subsidies for fossil fuels are already astronomical. 

With respect, I think I’m done here, we’re obviously not going to agree. 
Have a good evening 👍

38 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I agree, but surely the net migration is unsustainably high in terms of housing/facility? You can’t go on at 700k+ for more than a couple of years? 

I don’t think our housing crisis is a reason to scupper economic growth, I think it’s a reason to build more homes - especially affordable homes and social housing. 

40 minutes ago, MPH said:

well, thats kind of how contracts work - you negotiate to make sure both sides get what they want.

and to your second point, just because we currently have the wrong type of refinery for the oil we produce does not mean that can not be changed or adapted.

Licence ≠ contract

You can apply for a driving licence, you do not enter into a contract only to use British cars. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

Approximately 273 more times +/-a billion

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I don’t think our housing crisis is a reason to scupper economic growth, I think it’s a reason to build more homes - especially affordable homes and social housing. 

Licence ≠ contract

You can apply for a driving licence, you do not enter into a contract only to use British cars. 

And yet for the job i currently do, i had to sign a contract to be issued with the license to operate.

Some big interviews recently in the house of Congress. The  Harvard president is facing calls to resign or be sacked similar to the PennU president. RE: antisemitism, what they both said was calamitous to say the least but having watching a larger segment of both interviews, there was definitely some goading/ baiting going on. Bit tricky to pass judgement. Both apologized quickly.

However i will add that before the PennU president resigned a donor did revoke a $100m grant to the university so it was probably more to do with that then anything..

I really don't like American politics.

Edited by MPH

25 minutes ago, MPH said:

Some big interviews recently in the house of Congress. The  Harvard president is facing calls to resign or be sacked similar to the PennU president. RE: antisemitism, what they both said was calamitous to say the least but having watching a larger segment of both interviews, there was definitely some goading/ baiting going on. Bit tricky to pass judgement. Both apologized quickly.

However i will add that before the PennU president resigned a donor did revoke a $100m grant to the university so it was probably more to do with that then anything..

I really don't like American politics.

The really odd thing about that was that it was such an easy question.  How can some (presumably) intelligent people fail such an easy exam?

If they asked the question "would calling for the genocide of black people violate campus policy", then the answer would be yes.

If they asked the question "would calling for the genocide of Moslems violate campus policy", then the answer would be yes.

If they asked the question "would calling for the genocide of Hispanic people violate campus policy", then the answer would be yes.

Why was it so hard when it was about Jewish people? 

6 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The really odd thing about that was that it was such an easy question.  How can some (presumably) intelligent people fail such an easy exam?

If they asked the question "would calling for the genocide of black people violate campus policy", then the answer would be yes.

If they asked the question "would calling for the genocide of Moslems violate campus policy", then the answer would be yes.

If they asked the question "would calling for the genocide of Hispanic people violate campus policy", then the answer would be yes.

Why was it so hard when it was about Jewish people? 

Well it had basically become a sort of argument.  and i think the interviewing had been very.. combative. I'm not saying they didn't do anything wrong.. massive mistakes that they both owned up very quickly to.. i just don't think there's two people here who are straight out anti-Semitic, which is what people are seeking their heads for..

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Well it had basically become a sort of argument.  and i think the interviewing had been very.. combative. I'm not saying they didn't do anything wrong.. massive mistakes that they both owned up very quickly to.. i just don't think there's two people here who are straight out anti-Semitic, which is what people are seeking their heads for..

I doubt anyone thinks they are positively in favour of genocide of Jewish people, but they certainly gave the impression that they are neutral on the issue.  Like I said, if someone was advocating genocide of black people, they wouldn't have hesitated whatever the circumstances.  (At least, I presume not.)  

I understand they were asked several times, not just once, so they could have stopped to think.

36 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I doubt anyone thinks they are positively in favour of genocide of Jewish people, but they certainly gave the impression that they are neutral on the issue.  Like I said, if someone was advocating genocide of black people, they wouldn't have hesitated whatever the circumstances.  (At least, I presume not.)  

I understand they were asked several times, not just once, so they could have stopped to think.

it’s really worth watching as much of it as you can..

4 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I really don't understand the unquestioning support for any Palestinian organization if it is not somehow antisemitic.  Is it a Dem / Republican thing?  There are many conflicts in the world, but somehow this one seems to catch the attention of the left to the point of reasoning being left out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

I really don't understand the unquestioning support for any Palestinian organization if it is not somehow antisemitic.  Is it a Dem / Republican thing?  There are many conflicts in the world, but somehow this one seems to catch the attention of the left to the point of reasoning being left out.

I have never really understood the far left’s support for Hamas.. Hamas is an organization that would kill without a second thought  sectors that would be majorly left leaning - gay people, transgender, ect..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Looks like Gary Lineker has upset the Tories again just for signing a letter disagreeing with their immigration policy which many have and do.

It is quite funny how they keep going on about Gary.  I thought his Grant Shapps tweet was amusing :)

• Like 1