Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

3 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I know cold/flu virus’ always seem to go around, especially over the winter months… but this winter seems to have been particularly bad. Is that just me thinking it or is it a common theme across the board?

Since the weeks leading upto Christmas up until now, I know loads of people who’ve had a virus. Seems to have been a bit more potent than the common cold too. Whether that’s the symptoms of a cold worsening due to lowering our immune systems during Covid (and afterwards with increased sanitising of hands etc) or we’ve just not being able to stave off influenza as effectively due to similar factors.

Any ideas? I’m sure there’s people on here with a more scientific answer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

I know cold/flu virus’ always seem to go around, especially over the winter months… but this winter seems to have been particularly bad. Is that just me thinking it or is it a common theme across the board?

Since the weeks leading upto Christmas up until now, I know loads of people who’ve had a virus. Seems to have been a bit more potent than the common cold too. Whether that’s the symptoms of a cold worsening due to lowering our immune systems during Covid (and afterwards with increased sanitising of hands etc) or we’ve just not being able to stave off influenza as effectively due to similar factors.

Any ideas? I’m sure there’s people on here with a more scientific answer.

I think this too.

I've noticed the trend among people I know - however, I'm a postie. I worked through the pandemic and came into contact with lots of people (not in a Boris Johnson type way). I've been fine throughout this current wave and so have my colleagues.

This isn't covid again, but I think most people's immune systems have been weakened to some extent. Not drastically, but enough to make things difficult to shake off.

18 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Craft beer giant Brewdog abandons real living wage for employees https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67932569

That’s me done with Brewdog 

terrible company, but a great example of marketing driving a business forward.

Anyway, re winter sickness I'd agree - seems the worst year in my lifetime, pretty much everyone I know has been wiped out with covid or a bug of some kind at some point since Oct.

On 09/01/2024 at 19:11, Lionator said:

The MP for Rutland and Melton has been consistently excellent during the post October 7th events, yet the Tories can’t wait for her to lose her seat. Shows how far the party has fallen.

https://x.com/saulstaniforth/status/1744738617246011547?s=46&t=XzXtyl311-twukZdC5F7gA

Her current seat is going anyway. Believe shes going for the new Rutland and Stamford seat. Melton is joining up with Syston in a new constituency 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Craft beer giant Brewdog abandons real living wage for employees https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67932569

That’s me done with Brewdog 

Much better presumably if they fold and everyone loses their jobs in a cost of living crisis?  Of course the senior management should also be on a pay freeze, and there would not be any bonuses with a loss like that.  Sometimes everyone has to chip in for a business to survive, especially when competitors don;t pay that living wage.  Hopefully they can get through it and return to profit and give pay rises next year.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Much better presumably if they fold and everyone loses their jobs in a cost of living crisis?  Of course the senior management should also be on a pay freeze, and there would not be any bonuses with a loss like that.  Sometimes everyone has to chip in for a business to survive, especially when competitors don;t pay that living wage.  Hopefully they can get through it and return to profit and give pay rises next year.

They don’t seem overly gloomy about the future - revenues up, investment ongoing with more significant investment planned for the future 

https://www.scottishfinancialnews.com/articles/brewdog-records-third-year-of-losses-despite-growing-revenues#:~:text=Despite posting pre-tax profits,trading conditions after the pandemic.

And in terms of everyone chipping in there’s the CEO with a personal worth estimated at around £262 million, the executives on six figure salaries and the 1500 or so employees having their hourly rate set at the minimum wage to £11.44 an hour with the company having previously committed to paying the living wage at £12 per hour 

As I understand it the business in the uk has around 2,250 employees of whom approximately 1500 are paid at the lowest rate. If all of those 1500 earn an extra 56p per hour for a 40 hour week that would cost the company  just under £1.75m p/a  (1500 x 40 x 52 x 0.56). That’s peanuts to a company with a record breaking 2023  turn over of £320 million. 

I thought that many businesses profess that their employees were one of their most important assets but yeah, the wage cut for the lowest paid staff seems fair and reasonable and a positive and ethical way to invest in the future 🤔

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 3

B

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

They don’t seem overly gloomy about the future - revenues up, investment ongoing with more significant investment planned for the future 

https://www.scottishfinancialnews.com/articles/brewdog-records-third-year-of-losses-despite-growing-revenues#:~:text=Despite posting pre-tax profits,trading conditions after the pandemic.

And in terms of everyone chipping in there’s the CEO with a personal worth estimated at around £262 million, the executives on six figure salaries and the 1500 or so employees having their hourly rate set at the minimum wage to £11.44 an hour with the company having previously committed to paying the living wage at £12 per hour 

As I understand it the business in the uk has around 2,250 employees of whom approximately 1500 are paid at the lowest rate. If all of those 1500 earn an extra 56p per hour for a 40 hour week that would cost the company  just under £1.75m p/a  (1500 x 40 x 52 x 0.56). That’s peanuts to a company with a record breaking 2023  turn over of £320 million. 

I thought that many businesses profess that their employees were one of their most important assets but yeah, the wage cut for the lowest paid staff seems fair and reasonable and a positive and ethical way to invest in the future 🤔

But that extra money they're paying out is the difference between the chairman getting a Bentley Flying Spur S and Bentley Flying Spur Speed Edition 12.

Come on guys, give the man (almost certainly) a break!

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

They are awful, beer is shocking too not sure why it’s popular. 

TBH I don't mind the beer that much but do feel its overpriced, but I jkust think the company is a fraud.

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

BD in particular have based a lot of their branding on being 'punk' and treating employees well, so to me this is a fundamental issue.

Thats a fantastic calc to show actually they could swallow it, even without the CEO dipping in top his personal earnings/wealth (although maybe he needs to keep a sizeable pot for any future legal fees....)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67929755

The fact this trash organisation is associated with our city/county does not look good for us.

With everything in the news about this company over the last couple of years, with paying less than minimum wage, poor and unsafe working conditions, unfair treatment of suppliers, poor quality and falsely labelled clothes, you would hope that most people with even half a brain would avoid buying anything from this company.

The owners are clearly seeing how much money they can squeeze from it and for how long they can keep getting away with breaking as many rules and laws as possible. Scum bags the lot of them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Much better presumably if they fold and everyone loses their jobs in a cost of living crisis?  Of course the senior management should also be on a pay freeze, and there would not be any bonuses with a loss like that.  Sometimes everyone has to chip in for a business to survive, especially when competitors don't pay that living wage.  Hopefully they can get through it and return to profit and give pay rises next year.

James Watt is a proven liar, bully and a ridiculous profiteer at the detriment of everyone else. But sure, stick up for BrewDog rather than the workers :frusty:.

Their company sucks and its a shame a load of middle aged men like being called a punk so much they'll literally buy imaginary shares. **** BrewDog

EDIT: And just to add - I agree that there are some companies that really struggle due to living wages etc; BrewDog isn't one of them. They invest every penny into expansion. If BrewDog went public James Watt would be a multi billionaire instantly; when interest rates have gone down and equities are back up they will.

Edited by bmt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67929755

The fact this trash organisation is associated with our city/county does not look good for us.

Fast fashion in general can take a flying leap, as can daytime TV shows that promote their wares.

Save up for a few weeks and buy something classy that will last years and never go out of fashion, instead of buying new clothes every week.

Anyone who only wears a garment once (other than for comfort/fit reasons) needs major re-education, preferably of the boot camp type.

• Like 2

So it was  big in the news in the United States that a school had to be closed down so that migrants could be 'moved in '

I hate how the media spins things.

They were living in tents and needed somewhere for ONE NIGHT to escape the massive storm we just had. They have already moved back out and the kids did remote learning for the day.

Complete Non story but the media reporting prompted protests outside the school.

“How does it feel that you kicked all the kids out of school tomorrow? Does it feel good? I hope you feel good. I hope you will sleep very well tonight!” the mother, identified only as Michelle, screamed at the buses.

One local man chimed in, “How do you feel stealing American tax money?”

Well, they probably feel very grateful to be alive, i'd imagine.

When did we become to heartless? :(

Edited by MPH
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, MPH said:

So it was  big in the news in the United States that a school had to be closed down so that migrants could be 'moved in '

I hate how the media spins things.

They were living in tents and needed somewhere for ONE NIGHT to escape the massive storm we just had. They have already moved back out and the kids did remote learning for the day.

Complete Non story but the media reporting prompted protests outside the school.

“How does it feel that you kicked all the kids out of school tomorrow? Does it feel good? I hope you feel good. I hope you will sleep very well tonight!” the mother, identified only as Michelle, screamed at the buses.

One local man chimed in, “How do you feel stealing American tax money?”

Well, they probably feel very grateful to be alive, i'd imagine.

When did we become to heartless? :(

How do they feel, living on the land their ancestors stole by force years ago?

If you're the descendants of immigrants (and if you go back far enough, that's practically everyone in this country too!) you have no right to complain about immigrants.

Isn't that right Suella?

And in answer to your final question MPH, ages ago.

13 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

How do they feel, living on the land their ancestors stole by force years ago?

If you're the descendants of immigrants (and if you go back far enough, that's practically everyone in this country too!) you have no right to complain about immigrants.

Isn't that right Suella?

And in answer to your final question MPH, ages ago.

That's one of my answers to some people btw when they talk about British Culture being destroyed by People emigrating to GB... i say do you mean the British culture before the Saxon invasion the Jutes invasion, the Angles invasion or before the Norman invasion? or the Roman or Viking settlers? 

• Like 1

This Amanda Abbington sueing Strictly thing...

What's the general consensus? He's a bit too full on or she's a bit prissy? It strikes me that, people are different: one person's pushy is another person's bullying; one person's casual flirt is another's sexual advance.

You would imagine that you know it's going to be pretty intimate and personal and very hard work with a lot of physicality. Drawing a borderline in that environment is difficult. 

For me, the fact that the dancer has been on the show a number of years without complaint (that we know of - though at least one former partner has spoken out in defence of him) stands in his favour, but that in itself isn't conclusive proof.

Difficult times for Strictly I think.

5 hours ago, Unabomber said:

They are awful, beer is shocking too not sure why it’s popular. 

The most insulting thing is the price - costs less to get a pint of Asahi, imported from Japan, than it does for UK brewed Brewdog.

It's total marketing at play. Though, I will say, Punk IPA is delicious.