Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

51 minutes ago, Dunge said:

While it’s tempting to see this in an “us vs them” context, and note that they are indeed allied in a core ideology of authoritarianism, I don’t really see those countries named really working together in any organised way. Russia have long been after Ukraine, Iran are looking for something to unite a country that has had major issues with their rulers over recent years, China look like they have an eye on picking up the pieces of whatever happens and North Korea are anyone’s guess. It feels more like they’d take advantage of each other’s distractions rather than actively coordinate the overthrow of the west.

Not sure whether that makes the situation any less dangerous but I don’t see them as some great united power. For one thing, none of those leaders would have any desire to share with the others.

Yes the one thing that does give me hope is the Chinese, they seem a lot more rational and have played peacemaker a lot recently like Saudi/Iran and warning Russia not to use nukes. Would they really risk it all for Russia, Iran and North Korea? 

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

Yes the one thing that does give me hope is the Chinese, they seem a lot more rational and have played peacemaker a lot recently like Saudi/Iran and warning Russia not to use nukes. Would they really risk it all for Russia, Iran and North Korea? 

China have a long term plan. It does involve getting Taiwan, eventually, at some point, but right now it feels like they’re watching and waiting.

As you say, seeing nukes flying around is definitely not what they need. Nor is a world war come to that - the result would be too much out of control for Xi’s liking.

Guest David Oldfields Gate
1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

I mean, the whole point of learning from history is to prevent something like Hitler happening again. Nazi Germany didn't just go from Hitler entering power straight into a full blown genocide, there was an escalation, spreading propaganda, engaging in lawfare to ban Jews from being teachers, from holding public office, dehumanising until a genocide was the next step. Trump is giving clear indications of doing similar hence the comparison, we shouldn't wait until the genocide actually begins to call out the path the US is on

****ing hell dude what actual planet are you on?

DM me. We need to have a pint.

17 minutes ago, Dunge said:

China have a long term plan. It does involve getting Taiwan, eventually, at some point, but right now it feels like they’re watching and waiting.

As you say, seeing nukes flying around is definitely not what they need. Nor is a world war come to that - the result would be too much out of control for Xi’s liking.

China have already won without firing a bullet. Their downfall will be internal.

25 minutes ago, Dunge said:

China is not good at winning wars - their last attempt to take Taiwan was defeated by poisonous snails!

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Yes you have the axis powers (Russia, China, Iran and North Korea) working together to finally try and stretch and overthrow the west. The west has basically had uncharted hegemony since 1991. The balance of power is shifting and a world war is inevitable which will see one of the three things 

1) continual American hegemony.

2) a multipolar world (US, EU, China, India, Middle East, Russia, Africa etc)

3) the end of humanity through nuclear annihilation. 

You'll never sing that - oooh oooh

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

The planet is called earth. If you don't see the similarities in the way that Trump and his supporters go on about Muslims and Mexicans, or the similarities in the laws in early Nazi Germany forbidding Jews from participating in society fully and the raft of anti-LGBT legislation being put out in states like Florida (who's don't say gay law effectively bans LGBT teachers) and Ohio (who recently disqualified a trans woman from standing for office on the basis of her being trans), driven by the GOP, then you're being deliberately obtuse.

So you don't fancy a pint then?

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

Can I DM you for a pint?

Yes mate. 

3 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

US elections this year and our elections, I hope I'm wrong, but this could be a year that could affect all of us. 

COVID has sent the world bonkers!

It was us winning the PL in 2016. World hasn’t been the same since.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

I do think Trump is a terrible man, but like everything people underestimate just how utterly depraved and messed up Hitler was. 

Trump is not going to start gassing Mexicans and Muslims, because his ego is far too big for that, and he doesn’t view the world in a race war way like Hitler did. It’s like people who compare Putin to Hitler. Like Putin is terrible but ffs come on. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Doctor said:

The planet is called earth. If you don't see the similarities in the way that Trump and his supporters go on about Muslims and Mexicans, or the similarities in the laws in early Nazi Germany forbidding Jews from participating in society fully and the raft of anti-LGBT legislation being put out in states like Florida (who's don't say gay law effectively bans LGBT teachers) and Ohio (who recently disqualified a trans woman from standing for office on the basis of her being trans), driven by the GOP, then you're being deliberately obtuse.

I suppose the important question is whether there is really a totalitarian master plan behind Trump to control the people or indeed start a genocide against the Mexicans or gays.  Many people find that hard to believe, and just think rather that the populists are playing the existing thoughts of the community for their own gain. 

More alarming is the ability through social media and AI to target ever smaller subsets of the voter base with a personalized messages to get them on your side, while masking what you are saying to everyone else.  Scary, and perhaps more so when targeted at other countries.

Edited by Jon the Hat

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

I suppose the important question is whether there is really a totalitarian master plan behind Trump to control the people or indeed start a genocide against the Mexicans or gays.  Many people find that hard to believe, and just think rather that the populists are playing the existing thoughts of the community for their own gain. 

More alarming is the ability through social media and AI to target ever smaller subsets of the voter base with a personalized messages to get them on your side, while masking what you are saying to everyone else.  Scary, and perhaps more so when targeted at other countries.

True, I don't think trump in particular has thought that far ahead, not to be too mean but he doesn't seem intelligent enough to be capable of putting together any sort of strategy, however I would argue the power behind him in the republican party are capable of that and are doing so. I guess that would make Trump more of a Papen than Hitler figure in that he just craves power and will work with those who do want systemic extermination of Muslims and gays to get it, but will end up putting those genocidal maniacs in charge 

Edited by The Doctor

13 hours ago, The Doctor said:

As they say, one of the first casualties of fascism is truth.  I don't know if you are being lied to and are just repeating those lies, or if you are lying off your own bat.  The Ohio case was a trans woman who was disqualified because she did not disclose that she has changed her name in the past 5 years.  It's an electoral law that applies to everyone in Ohio except newly weds who changed their name on marriage.  It's been in force since 1995 so I don't think it was aimed at trans people.

If you have a link to how LGBT teachers are being banned from school, effectively or otherwise, by all means post it.  All I can find is that they they can only teach about LGBT activities and lifestyles during sex education lessons.

14 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

As they say, one of the first casualties of fascism is truth.  I don't know if you are being lied to and are just repeating those lies, or if you are lying off your own bat.  The Ohio case was a trans woman who was disqualified because she did not disclose that she has changed her name in the past 5 years.  It's an electoral law that applies to everyone in Ohio except newly weds who changed their name on marriage.  It's been in force since 1995 so I don't think it was aimed at trans people.

If you have a link to how LGBT teachers are being banned from school, effectively or otherwise, by all means post it.  All I can find is that they they can only teach about LGBT activities and lifestyles during sex education lessons.

A law not mentioned anywhere in the information for candidacy, without space put on the candidacy form to do so, that just happened to be enforced for the first time when a trans person ran for office. A literal child would be more inquisitive as to what's going on there than you are.

So the Don't Say Gay law bans any mention of being LGBT in K-3 through to 12th grade (age 18), setting aside how regressive it is to outright ban that discussion (it's basically section 28 equivalent and that was destructive to an entire generation of LGBTQ people in the UK), the ban is deliberately vague to the point that a gay male teacher could easily be found in breach of it if the kids ask how his summer was and he says he went on holiday with his husband, or a trans woman teacher could be in breach of it for introducing herself as Mrs Smith. In essence it mandates constructive dismissal of LGBT teachers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1