Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

Guest David Oldfields Gate

I can point to two identical projects for identical intended outcomes.

One was for a private company.

One was for the public sector.

The private company paid 50k and got the outcome it wanted, all within a couple of months.

The public sector spent 200k deciding how to go about it. Somehow concocted it would cost over a million, then pulled the plug. Two years.

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Have a look at the covid spending, then you'll see plenty of waste. ''There is no waste in public services'' I about fell off my chair. 

I'm in the process of designing a school roof that will cost £100k and will be demolished in around 6 months time.

Keeps us private sector folk busy so I won't complain.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Honestly, it needs a bit of both. Better management and more funding.   Better management won’t suddenly update the equipment and repair crumbling buildings neither will it generate more staff. You can have the best managed company in the world and investment in infrastructure still needs to happen so does staff procurement and retention..

On 28/01/2024 at 20:27, The Doctor said:

The planet is called earth. If you don't see the similarities in the way that Trump and his supporters go on about Muslims and Mexicans, or the similarities in the laws in early Nazi Germany forbidding Jews from participating in society fully and the raft of anti-LGBT legislation being put out in states like Florida (who's don't say gay law effectively bans LGBT teachers) and Ohio (who recently disqualified a trans woman from standing for office on the basis of her being trans), driven by the GOP, then you're being deliberately obtuse.

That seems a stretch, I genuinely never remember my teachers coming into school and talking to me about their relationships or sex lives. Usually it was just maths or English or something.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Yeah I must admit that I have got a tear in my eye after reading that.

Emotional day all round really,  after reading this as well....

Sounds like Lara needs to pull her socks up and graft a bit harder.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Quit it with the bloody avocado, Laura, FFS. It’s how the rest of us cope. 

• Like 1

Just now, Daggers said:

Quit it with the bloody avocado, Laura, FFS. It’s how the rest of us cope. 

I bet she and that MP who can't afford his mortgage have got big screen TVs and mobile phones as well. And they probably drink fancy coffees as well. Back when I went skiing once in 1788, it cost 2 shillings sixpence and I saved up for 23 seconds to afford it, if I can do it why can't they? Bloody layabouts.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, MPH said:

Tories announcing plans to recognize the sovereignty of Palestine. That'll annoy Jeremy Corbyn  as im sure  he wanted to be the one to do that...

How can you recognise the sovereignty of a place where the borders and boundaries haven't even been set or agreed to. Yes you can say a place should exist but in what shape or form. What about the sovereignty of Basques, Catalans, Kurds and other groups displaced or otherwise who feel they are entitled to a homeland.

15 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Lara, for the sake of the children please try and soldier on.

3 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

How can you recognise the sovereignty of a place where the borders and boundaries haven't even been set or agreed to. Yes you can say a place should exist but in what shape or form. What about the sovereignty of Basques, Catalans, Kurds and other groups displaced or otherwise who feel they are entitled to a homeland.

You cant deny one set of people's sovereignty just because someone else isn't getting theirs

Personally, i think it's all talk anyway and the tories have attached enough stipulations to this that it will likely never happen and makes me question their sincerity of it anyway...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MPH said:

You cant deny one set of people's sovereignty just because someone else isn't getting theirs

Personally, i think it's all talk anyway and the tories have attached enough stipulations to this that it will likely never happen and makes me question their sincerity of it anyway...

It feels more part of a wider strategy to me to pressure Israel to bring their war to an end.

”Either hurry up with this or we’re going to start getting ideas you won’t like.”

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

That seems a stretch, I genuinely never remember my teachers coming into school and talking to me about their relationships or sex lives. Usually it was just maths or English or something.

Already covered this in response to Burnley - really not unusual to know if your teachers are married, particularly if you come back after summer holidays and Ms Durst is now Mrs Jones, similarly trans teachers - pretty damn obvious if you finish year 4 with Ms Jane Doe and come back to year 5 to learn from Mr John Doe. In practice it creates a hostile environment for LGBT teachers where they have to be very vigilant about what snippets of their personal lives their students find out about.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dunge said:

It feels more part of a wider strategy to me to pressure Israel to bring their war to an end.

”Either hurry up with this or we’re going to start getting ideas you won’t like.”

Thats a fair point..

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I think Doctor's point is that by restricting discussion about homosexuality in school to sex education classes, the USA is half-way down the same path that Hitler took towards gassing the Jews at Auschwitz.

For some reason, it is important to him that any teacher who is inclined towards sexual intercourse with a member of the same sex, must be allowed to share that knowledge and practice with the four  to fifteen year olds in his or her class.  Regardless of what the parents think.  To ban a kindergarten teacher from teaching the children about the theory and practice of homosexuality is (it seems) just the sort of thing that Hitler did.

I agree, it's a stretch.  :dunno:

9 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Already covered this in response to Burnley - really not unusual to know if your teachers are married, particularly if you come back after summer holidays and Ms Durst is now Mrs Jones, similarly trans teachers - pretty damn obvious if you finish year 4 with Ms Jane Doe and come back to year 5 to learn from Mr John Doe. In practice it creates a hostile environment for LGBT teachers where they have to be very vigilant about what snippets of their personal lives their students find out about.

That's a fair point, ideally you have a middle ground. As long as they're good and not some mad criminal then anyone should be fine to teach, it's good for kids to be exposed to different types of people as well.  

Unless it's sex education then the teachers really don't need to be doing anything other than teaching kids and encouraging them to be inquisitive and find out what they are passionate about. 

Thinking now though, the law could have been made general "don't talk to children about your personal relationships". 

11 minutes ago, MPH said:

In the interest of fairness, I have to point out that if this was Hamas going into an Israeli hospital, it would be all over the news  with people crying foul..

Israeli forces kill three Palestinian fighters in West Bank hospital raid https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68137050

IMG_5383.jpeg

Is their any "fairness" in war?