Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Sunderland H.. Tuesday.

Sunderland are an interesting team. One of their fans said that they're the only team in all 4 divisions who don't have a striker that has scored for them. All their goals has come from midfielders and defenders. Pretty crazy stat. 

37 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's good to be critical, but by God do some love to focus on negatives. I saw a post earlier whining on about losing to Hull. 

It's not long since I read someone say the likes of 'I will never get over Kermit arrogantly missing that penalty.' 

Let it go, chaps, it's healthier. 

You have to feel the lows to appreciate the highs.

So I don't think you can just tell people to let go of a moment like Kermogants penalty in same way you wouldn't say forget winning the Premier League. All part of the story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/10/2023 at 19:12, Spudulike said:

Another of those clubs have have somehow gained the 'big' status. Doesn't seem to be any justifiable reason other than winning the FA Cup in 1973.

Erm..winning the top division 6 times, FA Cup and league Cup twice..maybe?

Not a big club by today's monetary standards perhaps, but certainly a club with a history of success and achievement.

And as they are the bete noire of the Saudi butchers lot, they do not feature in the c**t book for me for this fact alone!

Still hope and expect us to stuff 'em mind.....3-0

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, J. James said:

Erm..winning the top division 6 times, FA Cup and league Cup twice..maybe?

Not a big club by today's monetary standards perhaps, but certainly a club with a history of success and achievement.

And as they are the bete noire of the Saudi butchers lot, they do not feature in the c**t book for me for this fact alone!

Still hope and expect us to stuff 'em mind.....3-0

League Cup winners? So they've only won one major trophy since WWII (1973 FA Cup). 

1 hour ago, mohammedsaqib said:

Should be a good game this. Hopefully another 3 points and we should be able to soon start the ‘Teams who can’t catch us’ thread for this season

I hope someone does a better job with it than last season, last years effort was sh1t :ph34r:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

League Cup winners? So they've only won one major trophy since WWII (1973 FA Cup). 

Yes but a great day & great memories for the fans.. And that what sport is all about.. 

Not preconstructing values tables, of creating something, that nobody cares a flying dirty duck about.. 

Historonics of long or short past is what keeps all sports(  life) memories in all pub/canteen/family tables in debate, open critic or plaudits.. 

Jesus we have just  spent a week/weekend discussing a worthy life & past career, of Bobby Charlton... SCRAPBOOKS, Autograph books show people want those memories. 

Poor a person if he can't associate with those feelings.. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mohammedsaqib said:

Should be a good game this. Hopefully another 3 points and we should be able to soon start the ‘Teams who can’t catch us’ thread for this season

We will have played 26 games after the first game of the new year.

That leaves 20 x 3  = 60points for Teams to catch us so possibly some time in Feb for that to happen

I know we're a very good side at this level but it's unrealistic to think we're not going to concede even the odd clear chance to other teams. That doesn't mean we're poor defensively. 

As for this game, it will be really interesting to see how they set up. Mowbray is a very underrated manager in my view and his instinct is to play attractive, attacking football. But I suspect he'll approach this in the same way as when they played Southampton - give up the ball and play on the counter. In that game they had just 32% possession but created 6 big chances and won 5-0! This shows that they will be far more dangerous on the transition than the likes of Bristol City, Preston and Stoke, our last opponents at the KP.

Edited by Sunbury Fox

9 hours ago, Spudulike said:

...But there is no arbitrary cut off point for historical success is there?

Otherwise in a few years people could justify writing off our remarkable achievements as "well they've not won anything for 10 years".

I know if we'd won the top division 6 times I'd be proud of the fact, be it within the last 10 years or within the last 100.

7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm sorry, but for me you've created false equivalence there. There's a world of difference between feeling the low and refusing to let something go. 

Not least, refusing to forgive a human being almost 15 years later for failing to score a goal in a football match, I don’t see how it’s healthy to hold that level of resentment, that doesn’t mean you “felt the low” of the actual moment any less.

Same with other posts on here like they want to see Vestaegaard dropped because of last season and they can’t forgive him for the relegation when he’s playing well this season. 

It’s almost like it’s a competition for some people on how hardcore a fan they are and how much they hate anyone who even slightly makes a mistake or does something slightly wrong against the club.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm sorry, but for me you've created false equivalence there. There's a world of difference between feeling the low and refusing to let something go. 

Well I can't speak for whoever brought up the Kermo penalty. If they're still sat their with a wet flannel on their head in the corner of the room watching it back then you have a point. 

Relegation to League One has the same equivalence. These things have a big effect on fans. Sometimes it isn't just moaning, it's not wanting to see history repeat itself. 

Relegation last season needs accountability to make sure it never happens again and I haven't seen that from the club. I see no issue with people bringing these issues up within context. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Yes but a great day & great memories for the fans.. And that what sport is all about.. 

Not preconstructing values tables, of creating something, that nobody cares a flying dirty duck about.. 

Historonics of long or short past is what keeps all sports(  life) memories in all pub/canteen/family tables in debate, open critic or plaudits.. 

Jesus we have just  spent a week/weekend discussing a worthy life & past career, of Bobby Charlton... SCRAPBOOKS, Autograph books show people want those memories. 

Poor a person if he can't associate with those feelings.. 

But do those memories warrant 'big' status for a club that has won only one major trophy since 1937?

42 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Well I can't speak for whoever brought up the Kermo penalty. If they're still sat their with a wet flannel on their head in the corner of the room watching it back then you have a point. 

Relegation to League One has the same equivalence. These things have a big effect on fans. Sometimes it isn't just moaning, it's not wanting to see history repeat itself. 

Relegation last season needs accountability to make sure it never happens again and I haven't seen that from the club. I see no issue with people bringing these issues up within context. 

I shall cease to go on because I am at risk of further diverting this thread.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

But do those memories warrant 'big' status for a club that has won only one major trophy since 1937?

Yes, Yes & Yes... It's their history, their memories... 

Until shortly, our memories consisted of remembering 'just' our legends & long past games.. Without any fanfare of trophies.. 

• Like 1