Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Sunderland H.. Tuesday.

3 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

When we have operated on the levels we have and still do, we are not the club we were in other decades. To think so is to passively accept failure.

I seen this argument pop up when we got relegated. This kind of attitude that we were always a yo-yo team, so what. Leicester City in the 1970s playing in front of a half empty filbert street with Birch and Keith Weller sharing a bath tub is not the Leicester City that's won the Premier League, FA Cup, Community Shield, has a huge wage structure and elite training facilities. To pretend it is just because we have the same name is such a small mentality to have. One that the big clubs would love us to just accept.

I dont blame people for it because the media push that narrative to us constantly. The majority of us on here thought we could get top 4 when Rodgers arrived. No one outside the club did. We looked at the squad and budget and knew it was possible. Just because we are called Leicester we are somehow massively over achieving and should know our place. 

When we get back up we should absolutely be aiming to get back to where we were. 

All good points, but I think the guy you were responding to was talking about Sunderland... 

19 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Leicester City vs Sunderland Pre-Match Preview

Sunderland are one of the more interesting teams to watch in the Championship, and I've had my eye on them all season given they made it to the play-offs last time round, losing to eventual winners Luton. They have a very interesting philosophy at the club, almost using our model but in a Championship version. IE lots of really promising up and comers who they develop and sell on for a lot of money, with an astute and experienced manager in Tony Mowbray. This makes them both exciting and prone to collapse in equal measure, they play good stuff but are really inconsistent.

• They play a mixture of 4141 and 4231, but sometimes even go 442. They even played Jobe Bellingham as a false 9 against Southampton where they won 5-0, which they might well try again.
  • They play good stuff, playing out from the back and having a good possession style, they rank 3rd in terms of possession in the division so far.
  • They are an interesting case where they have the top scorer in the division in Jack Clarke (left wing), but none of their strikers have scored yet. So a bit like Leicester, they really rely on their wide forwards and midfield players.
  • They typically play two hard-working box-to-box players in Bellingham and Ekwah with Dan Neil (who was suspended against Stoke) as the sitter.
    • I'll be interested to see what they do here, a lot of teams try to go man for man on Ricardo and Winks, but I feel like the youthful nature of their team might mean this could backfire, and we play could play around them.
    • Jobe Bellingham is pretty good IMO. Obviously hard not to compare him to his brother; he's not as good at the same age but he is good. Will for sure be a Premier League palyer one day. Hard-working, technical, good on the ball and a great engine.
  • What they might do, which I have seen them do a few times, is to play 442 and try to kill the opposition on the transition. The biggest warning I would give about this team (and Leeds) is they have players that can exploit a turnover and getting in behind, like on the weekend where Hermansen saved us. Their players are young, full of energy and are fast, and they were ruthless against Southampton at doing this, where they could have won by more.

This is a team that I think could catch us on the break, but equally I think they won't be able to deal with 90 minutes of relentless pressure. With young players, they are more likely to lose concentration at the wrong moment and for it to cost them. So I think this will be another game where we have to work hard but eventually break them down.

I think this will be an enjoyable game and will feel more like a Premier League game rather than a Championship one. They might be a bit more like Brentford in the way they play, in terms of trying to kill us on the transition.

So based on this, would you suggest we rotate Vestergaard and Coady round for this game?

22 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Sunderland are one of the more interesting teams to watch in the Championship, and I've had my eye on them all season given they made it to the play-offs last time round, losing to eventual winners Luton. They have a very interesting philosophy at the club, almost using our model but in a Championship version. IE lots of really promising up and comers who they develop and sell on for a lot of money, with an astute and experienced manager in Tony Mowbray. This makes them both exciting and prone to collapse in equal measure, they play good stuff but are really inconsistent.

• They play a mixture of 4141 and 4231, but sometimes even go 442. They even played Jobe Bellingham as a false 9 against Southampton where they won 5-0, which they might well try again.
  • They play good stuff, playing out from the back and having a good possession style, they rank 3rd in terms of possession in the division so far.
  • They are an interesting case where they have the top scorer in the division in Jack Clarke (left wing), but none of their strikers have scored yet. So a bit like Leicester, they really rely on their wide forwards and midfield players.
  • They typically play two hard-working box-to-box players in Bellingham and Ekwah with Dan Neil (who was suspended against Stoke) as the sitter.
    • I'll be interested to see what they do here, a lot of teams try to go man for man on Ricardo and Winks, but I feel like the youthful nature of their team might mean this could backfire, and we play could play around them.
    • Jobe Bellingham is pretty good IMO. Obviously hard not to compare him to his brother; he's not as good at the same age but he is good. Will for sure be a Premier League palyer one day. Hard-working, technical, good on the ball and a great engine.
  • What they might do, which I have seen them do a few times, is to play 442 and try to kill the opposition on the transition. The biggest warning I would give about this team (and Leeds) is they have players that can exploit a turnover and getting in behind, like on the weekend where Hermansen saved us. Their players are young, full of energy and are fast, and they were ruthless against Southampton at doing this, where they could have won by more.

This is a team that I think could catch us on the break, but equally I think they won't be able to deal with 90 minutes of relentless pressure. With young players, they are more likely to lose concentration at the wrong moment and for it to cost them. So I think this will be another game where we have to work hard but eventually break them down.

I think this will be an enjoyable game and will feel more like a Premier League game rather than a Championship one. They might be a bit more like Brentford in the way they play, in terms of trying to kill us on the transition.

Although we’re better than Southampton, I suspect Sunderland will see us as in a similar system and use a similar tactics as they did Vs Saints. Deffo think this could be our hardest test in the league this season.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think they are a team that if they went 2 goals up against us would probably have enough to see it through. At some point we might have that happen to us but we've got just keep creating our chances and it heaps so much pressure on the opposition to take theirs. 

Up front, I will state that I am quite optimistic for a win.

However...  This is an interesting matchup.  As @StriderHiryu said, Sunderland are quite capable of counterattacking successfully.  Vesty might get caught out for lack of pace.

I am confident that Enzo will correctly analyze the threat and put out the best XI to counter it.  I also expect rotation of four to seven players to avoid fatigue.

Man... Five years since we lost Vichai.  Miss the Chairman.  How the hell has it been five years?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I am heading straight from work in London to this game and will have my laptop bag with me. Is this allowed under current draconian stewarding? Or will I need to find somewhere to stash it? 

Hide your phone, download your mobile ticket to your laptop, problem solved? 

• Haha 1

This is the main game on sky, so if you aren't going and have a Sky subscription, you can watch on Sky Go.

But just as a reminder for future games midweek only available on the red button, you can watch through the Sky Sports app or website. Not Sky Go.

I know the question gets asked.

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

This is the main game on sky, so if you aren't going and have a Sky subscription, you can watch on Sky Go.

But just as a reminder for future games midweek only available on the red button, you can watch through the Sky Sports app or website. Not Sky Go.

I know the question gets asked.

Just to add, now tv app works too when on red button, go right to the bottom. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fox42 said:

So based on this, would you suggest we rotate Vestergaard and Coady round for this game?

Honestly, it doesn't matter. They are unlikely to park the bus as much as Preston or Stoke so the player in question won't be relied upon that much to find space with passes. Either player will gone done for pace on the break. When you are 60 yards away from goal, unless you are Kyle Walker, you've lost the race as soon as the ball is turned over.

2 hours ago, Filberts lovechild said:

Although we’re better than Southampton, I suspect Sunderland will see us as in a similar system and use a similar tactics as they did Vs Saints. Deffo think this could be our hardest test in the league this season.

Southampton were suicidal in that game. Look at the counter-attack conceded from one of their own corners in minute one. They are a good team, but are in bad form and we should be a class above.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think they are a team that if they went 2 goals up against us would probably have enough to see it through. At some point we might have that happen to us but we've got just keep creating our chances and it heaps so much pressure on the opposition to take theirs. 

Maybe, maybe not. They have tons of young players. Jobe Bellingham is only 17. They have players with high potential and talent, but need to learn the senior game. Games like this are good for them win or loss because they need those sort of experiences. This is where players like Vardy, Kel, KDH, Ndidi, Winks, Coady, Vestergaard give us the edge. They are doing the Championship equivalent of when we blooded players like Maddison, Barnes, Fofana, etc in the Premier League.

2 hours ago, lnkstern said:

Up front, I will state that I am quite optimistic for a win.

However...  This is an interesting matchup.  As @StriderHiryu said, Sunderland are quite capable of counterattacking successfully.  Vesty might get caught out for lack of pace.

People unfairly bash Vestergaard for this in our setup. Only JJ might be able to get back in time if he was playing as the ball playing CB. You try getting back when 60 yards away from goal and the opponent has the run on you! Don't get me wrong, it's a structural fault of the way we play, but it's by design. Over the course of the season, we will (and already have) scored tons of goals because our team plays so high and everyone joins in building the play. But we will also concede goals because of it too.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Did you write all that for fun or is it your job somewhere else too?