Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

With The Big Weekend of Rugby and Football Approaching...

1 hour ago, kushiro said:

This was 'Chelsea Football Club', who had hurriedly brought together a host of well-known stars to try and achieve instant success.

1 hour ago, kushiro said:

They realised for the first, but not last time, that it takes more than just throwing money at the problem.

History often repeats it self.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ultrafox said:

Some nice research and interesting events there. A 20 stone goalkeeper for Chelsea. lol  keeping a clean sheet because he filled the goal lol.

I read some time ago that Foulkes once ate the food that was intended for both teams. Infact, he is accredited with being the person ' who ate all the pies" was first song at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Ate_All_the_Pies%3F

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, MPH said:

I read some time ago that Foulkes once ate the food that was intended for both teams. Infact, he is accredited with being the person ' who ate all the pies" was first song at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Ate_All_the_Pies%3F

Brilliant.  I love it! :appl:

Who'd have thought the chant was first sung in 1894 lol

.......though as they say later in the wiki...it can't have been to the tune of  Knees up Mother Brown, as that originated in 1918

Edited by ultrafox

Just discovered something else - after that weekend of Tigers v NZ and Fosse v Chelsea, the rugby tourists' next game was four days later - at Stamford Bridge. 

Fine shot of the game here, with Chelsea's first Main Stand not yet ready. Unlike most main stands, it was built facing not east but west, so spectators had to face the afternoon sun.

middlesex-1905.png

New Zealand won 34-0. 

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Do you know what the scoring system for rugby was in those days? If I remember correctly it was 3 points for a try and 1 for a conversion by the time I started playing at school in the late sixties.

Seems it was three for a try, two for a conversion. Four for a dropped goal. But the terminology was different.

NZ 28 Leicester 0 was 'five goals and a try' - which meant five converted tries and one unconverted try. If you converted a try it became a 'goal'. 

Clear as mud!

• Thanks 1