Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Danny Drinkwater retires

People will say he underachieved and considering the ability he showed for 3 seasons here they might be right. But if you had said to him when he was deemed surplus to requirements at Man United and was on loan at Barnsley that he would be retiring with a premier league winners medal, 3 England caps and 50+ million in the bank (pre tax). Then I'm sure he would have bitten your arm off.

Personally I got a lot of enjoyment watching him play especially with matty james in the promotion season and of course with kante in 15/16. I wish him all the luck in the world in retirement and hope he can find a bit of peace and happiness that seems like it eluded him when he was playing. 

• Like 3

Absolute willy puller, the way he behaved trying to force his way out the club was nothing short of disgusting.

Zero respect for him and got what he deserved, think Vardy said in the media the bloke could start a fight with himself in a phone box. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

Absolute willy puller, the way he behaved trying to force his way out the club was nothing short of disgusting.

Zero respect for him and got what he deserved, think Vardy said in the media the bloke could start a fight with himself in a phone box. 

He basically confirms this himself. The guy has barely got above 10iq.

Ruined by Chelsea essentially.

Don't blame him for chasing the pay packet in what is a very short career, but it did seem like the beginning of the end for him.

Hopefully he can enjoy retirement and have every success in any ventures thereafter.

29 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

People will say he underachieved and considering the ability he showed for 3 seasons here they might be right. But if you had said to him when he was deemed surplus to requirements at Man United and was on loan at Barnsley that he would be retiring with a premier league winners medal, 3 England caps and 50+ million in the bank (pre tax). Then I'm sure he would have bitten your arm off.

Personally I got a lot of enjoyment watching him play especially with matty james in the promotion season and of course with kante in 15/16. I wish him all the luck in the world in retirement and hope he can find a bit of peace and happiness that seems like it eluded him when he was playing. 

Im the complete opposite, id say he massively overachieved in his career. Premier League winner, couple of games for England and a big money move to a massive club is a pretty good career in my book considering he was hardly a world beater. Theres been far better technical midfielders then him who wont achieve any of that

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 3

He was a top player for us and it's a shame his career turned out like it did.

I don't blame him for leaving. He'll have backed himself to succeed at Chelsea, as so many who fail there do.

He made mistakes but he is yet another example of how young men with money and time on their hands often need a good support network in place. Often, when your life is your work and your work is going terribly, that's when they need help, especially if they already have a reputation of being 'a complicated character' as Nigel Pearson put it.

I don't know how much the PFA were involved with Drinkwater during his darkest times but he clearly needed someone or some people around him to guide him.

There's a lot of talk about kids who drop out of academies and never make it in the game, and I believe the help they receive is improving (to what extent, I don't know). But pros who suddenly drop out in their mid-to-late twenties probably need more help too. It'll be more obvious and available to those whose careers are ended by injury, I imagine, but there are those in Drinkwater's predicament where they're bombed out of a team and cast onto the sidelines who will require some sort of mental and practical help to get their careers back on track, or to find their way post-retirement.

Jadon Sancho is the biggest example I can think of right now who is probably having a miserable time. Yes, he's rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he'll currently be aimless, structureless and rejected, and therefore at real risk of slipping out of the game if he can't find the motivation to get back to his Borussia Dortmund best. The gambling, drugs, alcohol and behavioural problems will also become big risks then, too.

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Riot Van said:

He basically confirms this himself. The guy has barely got above 10iq.

That was one of the weirdest aspects of the interview. Confirms he was basically wanting out from the February, then acting like an absolute **** to get out. 

9 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

I'm a quarter of the way through this podcast, he's bashing Rudkin for the handling of his departure and referencing Riyad.. basically having to interrupt meetings to get answers about moves.

Doesn't make himself appear well does he? 

Club that propelled his career and he's talking about 'needed to get out' 'had to get out'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

Poor me, poor me, pour me another. 

The amount of times he's used phrases such as "you what", "this isn't what I want" or "I need to leave".

It seems tough to believe he was always the hard done by person, having not done anything wrong, professionally at least.

• Like 1

The mockery headline is awful. Whoever wrote it should be sacked.

Makes it sound like he's only done it because we didn't offer him a new contract.

He's not the clubs problem as he wanted out. So why should they give him a contract when he's past his best. He also says he had other offers from the championship but didn't take any of them up. He obviously thinks hes way better than he is.

Thanks for what you did for us but you wanted out. You made your bed.

• Like 2

Comes across worse in the Podcast than I was expecting.

Forced a move by shouting at Rudkin, said something like “I wouldn’t head butt someone after being told to shut up 3x” but he did, said he “wasn’t taking” a bad challenge from a kid, took moves purely down to his personal circumstances etc etc.

1 hour ago, South Shire Fox said:

Im the complete opposite, id say he massively overachieved in his career. Premier League winner, couple of games for England and a big money move to a massive club is a pretty good career in my book considering he was hardly a world beater. Theres been far better technical midfielders then him who wont achieve any of that

Yep, this.

Always thought he got the absolute most out of this talent personally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sambiasso said:

The way he acted this summer showed he hasnt grown at all either. 

Acting entitled that he should get a big money move to saudi. how he would only play for leicester because he’s above the rest of the championship. 

He had a bit of a red pill choice between playing football and money and he made his decision. Hopefully he is at least happy about it. 

Either way, I think he was going downhill even if he had stayed with us. 

Edited by Lambert09