Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Danny Drinkwater retires

27 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

"I think I've been in limbo for too long, I've either been wanting to play but not getting the opportunities to play at a level where I felt valued.

“I've had quite a few offers from Championship clubs, but I never felt the burn, it did nothing for me”

Didn’t exactly set the world on fire at Reading 

He spent the summer putting videos of himself training in Dubai alongside boasts about his fitness. It seemed like he was desperate to find a club. If it's true that he's had 'quite a few offers' from Championship clubs and rejected them, it does raise the question of what exactly he was expecting.

He was a great player for us but his departure came at the right time - he was already in decline. I wish him well in his post-retirement career and of course he will always be given a hero's reception when he visits the KP.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Pretty sure simmo has retired? 

Works for MUTV now amongst other broadcasting bits. 

Was nice to see him back alongside Wes at the ceremony on Wednesday too. 

Don't think Simo has retired formally, he's been doing the media bits for a couple years, but during that time has also given interviews and made Instagram posts about continuing to wait for a call from a club as a free agent. 

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Might be way off here but didn't Chelsea sign him on recommendation from Kante? 

That may well have been part of it, but they only signed him when the Barkley deal fell through. They had a space for a midfielder and Kante probably said positive things about him. Apparently Conte never wanted him nor rated him, which meant that Drinkwater's goose was basically cooked before he even set foot on the training pitch at Cobham. Chelsea's habit of buying players without their manager's consent goes back a few years now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

He spent the summer putting videos of himself training in Dubai alongside boasts about his fitness. It seemed like he was desperate to find a club. If it's true that he's had 'quite a few offers' from Championship clubs and rejected them, it does raise the question of what exactly he was expecting.

He was a great player for us but his departure came at the right time - he was already in decline. I wish him well in his post-retirement career and of course he will always be given a hero's reception when he visits the KP.

Thought he was too good for the championship and only wanted a PL offer. Shows a lot about his character I think

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
26 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Just listened to the whole interview and to me he comes across pretty arrogant and not willing to except  some of it was his own doing . Always someone else as fault . 

Thought the same. Treated leicester like shit, even though we did so much for him.

His whole career happened to him apparently and humphrey doesn't hold him to account once.

I won't listen to it because Jake Humphrey is a bellend, so if anyone's willing to post a brief summary of the interview that'd be amazing. I suspect that he'll come across arrogant and take no responsibility for anything he's done.

That being said, great player for us. He will forever be in the history books.

• Like 2

Can't stand the bloke. 

He's chatted so much ass since he left. Thought he was Billy big bollocks and it seems his memory of his exit is a bit different to what we remember. 

I remember a bid coming in, and it being gladly accepted by the club. (Had inside knowledge on this at the time too) There was no haggling for fees or anything, he went. It didn't drag on either. 

Yeah he was quality when we won the league, but we literally turned a turd (when he turned up from Barnsley) into a gem through coaching. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
6 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I won't listen to it because Jake Humphrey is a bellend, so if anyone's willing to post a brief summary of the interview that'd be amazing. I suspect that he'll come across arrogant and take no responsibility for anything he's done.

Good summary from you tbh. And I've listened to it.

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

"I think I've been in limbo for too long, I've either been wanting to play but not getting the opportunities to play at a level where I felt valued.

“I've had quite a few offers from Championship clubs, but I never felt the burn, it did nothing for me”

Didn’t exactly set the world on fire at Reading 

...as he said, his heart wasn't in it!!!

Interesting that he said he was looking to play where he felt valued, and that I suspect is more him looking for validation in or outside of the game. Something is missing in his life, and I suppose you would have to go back to his childhood to see what it is that has plagued him, where he now feels this way.

Would it have been a good move to bring him back to the club while he developed his fitness, we have extended an outstretched arm to others, is it his attitude which prevented the club from doing the same?

It would have been hard to see familiar faces, training alongside them, and knowing that you are not going to play, it would not have been good for him or to ask Maresca to babysit a professional who had lost his way.

24 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...as he said, his heart wasn't in it!!!

Interesting that he said he was looking to play where he felt valued, and that I suspect is more him looking for validation in or outside of the game. Something is missing in his life, and I suppose you would have to go back to his childhood to see what it is that has plagued him, where he now feels this way.

Would it have been a good move to bring him back to the club while he developed his fitness, we have extended an outstretched arm to others, is it his attitude which prevented the club from doing the same?

It would have been hard to see familiar faces, training alongside them, and knowing that you are not going to play, it would not have been good for him or to ask Maresca to babysit a professional who had lost his way.

tough question and a risky move...

I don't think we could take the risk of his bad habits rubbing off on some of our younger players. Everyone likes a drinking buddy....  It's possible that we thought about it but decided not to..

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1