Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Danny Drinkwater retires

Touch of the Stan Collymore.

Obviously very gifted but that was only in the right context with the right manager.

Unsurprising it came apart when he didn't feel valued or was in anything less than optimal surroundings.

Should have gotten more England caps. That will have hurt him. The year after we won the league he should have been central midfield for a major tournament. I'll stand by that.

• Like 3

Unexpected bonus from this thread is the revelation I'm not alone in thinking Jake Humphries is a massive twat and his podcast is not the best thing since sliced bread.

As for DD, I loved him when he was here albeit you could see he was a bit of a troubled one, hasn't done himself any favours since but a shame he couldn't find playing time until his body gave out, as I think not being able to get a club (or at least one he believed was worthy of him) probably won't help some of the MH issues I think its pretty evident he has/has had.

Unless he actively shits on an LCFC shirt will remain a legend but not one I'd be as keen to have a pint with as Wes/JV/Fuchs/Shinji etc...

Probably one of my favourite ever Leicester players but comes across a right weird bloke in that interview. Poor decisions, poorly advised and shit luck have got him where he is now. Hopefully he can move on with his life now and keep his shit together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

To be fair to Schlupp for 15 million Palace have gotten their money worth.

I'm talking about in pre-crazy-TV-money 2016 when £15m was an incredible amount for a player of his ability. Getting 8 years out of him doesn't take away from the fact we had their pants down at the time with that fee.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iancognito said:

I'm talking about in pre-crazy-TV-money 2016 when £15m was an incredible amount for a player of his ability. Getting 8 years out of him doesn't take away from the fact we had their pants down at the time with that fee.

That’s a fair opinion but I don’t think it was an incredible amount, I’d have valued him at about 10 million then.

Just now, westernpark said:

That’s a fair opinion but I don’t think it was an incredible amount, I’d have valued him at about 10 million then.

It's all opinions, nothing against him personally but he wasn't a great LB, his defensive awareness was poor. Ranieri dropped him and DeLaet after the 5-2 Arsenal game and by the time he actually left Fuchs had been pretty much ever present and we still had Chilwell coming through. The amount is debatable like I say because of the transfer explosion we've had but having paid £9M for Ulloa a year before, getting £15m for your second choice LB was decent value.

• Like 1

He did everything to get the move to Chelsea then tried persuading Chilwell to join. Obviously Chilwell didn’t take much persuading. He only has himself to blame. I have no sympathy for him. Granted I thank him for the part he played when we won the premiership but overall imo he’s clearly been ill advised and listened to the wrong people. 

I loved Drinky, I was gutted when he went.

Listening to the podcast is like a cautionary tale of exactly how not to deal with being a successful footballer, but I also think that a lot of people forget the human side of it. I'm not going to be crying him a river, but I think there are a lot of lads who grow up in academies and at some point get thrust in to the spotlight of the PL and then get ruthlessly cast aside a short time later. He's far from the only player at Chelsea, Man City & Man United recently who has been bought for tens of millions, only to become cannon fodder for the next manager.

I don't imagine mentally that that is easy to deal with and it seems with DD the passion/commitment/enjoyment simply wasn't there. Clearly Drinky struggled where others have done a better job and it does sound like he probably hasn't fully accepted his own role in it all, but I was struck by his reference to being angry and not being able to deal with things very well emotionally. It strikes me as a plight I think many young men probably struggle with. The only difference is no-one is paying attention to your average bloke going to a job he hates and deal with complicated life stuff because he isn't earning an obscene amount of money.

It's a shame it all went so tits up for him after he left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

Listening to the podcast is like a cautionary tale of exactly how not to deal with being a successful footballer, but I also think that a lot of people forget the human side of it. I'm not going to be crying him a river, but I think there are a lot of lads who grow up in academies and at some point get thrust in to the spotlight of the PL and then get ruthlessly cast aside a short time later. He's far from the only player at Chelsea, Man City & Man United recently who has been bought for tens of millions, only to become cannon fodder for the next manager.

I don't imagine mentally that that is easy to deal with and it seems with DD the passion/commitment/enjoyment simply wasn't there. Clearly Drinky struggled where others have done a better job and it does sound like he probably hasn't fully accepted his own role in it all, but I was struck by his reference to being angry and not being able to deal with things very well emotionally. It strikes me as a plight I think many young men probably struggle with. The only difference is no-one is paying attention to your average bloke going to a job he hates and deal with complicated life stuff because he isn't earning an obscene amount of money.

A well measured post and something I agree with mostly too. 

People just like to find reasons to hate others. As a society we have put all of these people (footballers in this case) up on a pedestal just to knock them and rub our hands with glee while doing it. The press don't help.

All of that aside one bit I did find funny was when he was trying to compare his story to an 'everyman' when saying "imagine if you have an office job that you go into every day that you don't like". Does he think people love their 9-5 call center jobs 😂?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Uncle Monty said:

All of that aside one bit I did find funny was when he was trying to compare his story to an 'everyman' when saying "imagine if you have an office job that you go into every day that you don't like". Does he think people love their 9-5 call center jobs 😂?

...what he did say was that going to work for owners that "do not want you" (time stamp 53:48)!!!

8 hours ago, jv1 said:

Couldn’t agree more - I wanted to listen to that and hope he came across ok and talked really well about his time with us - but what an absolute class A kn*b head - you can see why he ended up the way he did - pathetic the way he forced his way out when we gave him so much - absolute waste of space 

“I’ve loved playing for this club, it’s been perfect for me and my career and I want to be here for a long time to come. I couldn’t be happier,”

That was August 2016 after signing a new big money deal, whilst knowing full well he’d be going Chelsea the second we were out of a the champions league.

It really does stick in the throat these guys are happy to take the money and then whinge the second the clubs ask they see through a few years of a contract. 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

A well measured post and something I agree with mostly too. 

People just like to find reasons to hate others. As a society we have put all of these people (footballers in this case) up on a pedestal just to knock them and rub our hands with glee while doing it. The press don't help.

Yeah, I did think hearing that he surely can't be so niave to think thousands (if not millions) of people do that every day for shit money.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ajthefox said:

His decline had already begun before he left, which is why the club were happy to accept Chelsea’s offer. It’s true we didn’t spend the money wisely, but it doesn’t change the fact that we got an excellent price for Drinkwater. 

1 hour ago, Lesterlad said:

He’s a shithouse and I’m glad he is out of football only one of the title winning team I could never applaud upon a return 

A shithouse? One of the lads responsible for helping us achieve the impossible? Behave. I’m not fussed what he did after us, he will go down in our history as one of the greats…

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Babylon said:

“I’ve loved playing for this club, it’s been perfect for me and my career and I want to be here for a long time to come. I couldn’t be happier,”

That was August 2016 after signing a new big money deal, whilst knowing full well he’d be going Chelsea the second we were out of a the champions league.

It really does stick in the throat these guys are happy to take the money and then whinge the second the clubs ask they see through a few years of a contract. 

Yes, but then you get the well worn "it's a short career argument". 

Can't believe people actually buy this as an excuse for money grabbing. 

24 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

A shithouse? One of the lads responsible for helping us achieve the impossible? Behave. I’m not fussed what he did after us, he will go down in our history as one of the greats…

I can’t stand him the rest of the squad immortals I just can’t stand him 

21 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

I think we'll be ok away at Huddersfield, given the game has already taken place. 

3 hours ago, Lesterlad said:

He’s a shithouse and I’m glad he is out of football only one of the title winning team I could never applaud upon a return 

If memory serves me right didnt he feign injury, so he didnt have to play for us towards the end of the season.

On 30/10/2023 at 21:15, iancognito said:

When you look at fees we paid that summer than we had our pants pulled back down and spanked with a big juicy ruler in return 

If we're using such an analogy