Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Danny Drinkwater retires

12 hours ago, sm1 said:

If memory serves me right didnt he feign injury, so he didnt have to play for us towards the end of the season.

Yes and put a transfer request in just before new season started so he could join Chelsea. Also got grumpy with city fans because they booed him and in championship season. Complete prat in my eyes 

• Like 2

About halfway through the podcast and I have to say he's quite clearly a little deluded and a bit of a narcissist.

At the beginning, said he was retiring as he'd had no offers, then said he'd had offers from loads of Championship clubs. Then he said when he joined Reading he wasn't fit but after 6 months when he'd got fit he said he was good. Then he said after the season finished he needed to get fit again but couldn't understand why a club hadn't given him a chance. Why didn't he just keep himself fit if he knew it would take him 6 months to do so like at Reading? He then couldn't believe no teams would give him a chance but again said he'd had loads of offers from the Championship. Was he seriously waiting for a Premier League team to come in? And did he seriously think he didn't have to stay fit as he'd get fit at said new club? Can't work the guy out.

I have absolute respect for him for the few years he had here, played some of the most enjoyable football to watch in the Championship in 2013/14 and one of the legends of 2015/16 but he can only have himself to blame for all the other pitfalls.

Edited by lcfc278
  • Like 3

Listened to the episode last night and this morning and it was just very poorly done over all

95% of what was said you can just read on Wikipedia anyway and the one “big” thing that was mentioned about something happening at Chelsea that made him want to leave he apparently couldn’t say anyway

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Listened to the episode last night and this morning and it was just very poorly done over all

95% of what was said you can just read on Wikipedia anyway and the one “big” thing that was mentioned about something happening at Chelsea that made him want to leave he apparently couldn’t say anyway

Yeah no new revelations and you have to listen to Jake Humphrey for an hour or so as well.

Sounds like he loves a good old fashioned 'woe is me' moan and brushing off any poor behaviour down to demons as opposed to taking responsibility for any actions.

Grateful for his role in the title win but he's probably the least likeable of our 2016 team.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Why any rich footballer would start a restaurant business is beyond me.

Guy’s still in his 30s, spending the next 60 years sitting round the house or going to pubs telling people “I was a footballer once” would get boring pretty fast. Need something to do 

Edited by Sampson

41 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Guy’s still in his 30s, spending the next 60 years sitting round the house or going to pubs telling people “I was a footballer once” would get boring pretty fast. Need something to do 

He’s hardly going to be hands on though is he , he’ll just be the money man behind it . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Drinkwater in many ways personifies the so-called professional footballer of today. 

First off he needs to ditch his agent and secondly remember that old adage: "a fool and his money are easily parted".

Ditching his agent is probably the worst thing, he's not the sharpest so he needs the oversight, maybe changing agent would be best 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Ditching his agent is probably the worst thing, he's not the sharpest so he needs the oversight, maybe changing agent would be best 

Sounds as though his current agent isn't the sharpest either. I suppose all he's interested in his taking his 10/20%.

It's quite sad realising how awful a lot of footballers are isn't it? We can be a bit ignorant to it when it's players who have given us so much happiness but it doesn't excuse the fact most of them are like this.

It's sometimes better not to dig too deep into the other side of their stories because we'd probably end up thinking a lot less of all our heroes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Why any rich footballer would start a restaurant business is beyond me.

He's probably dined in a lot of restaurants (as he can afford to) and possibly thought he knew what made a place popular. Also he may have over-estimated his own pulling power - folk may pop by a restaurant if it's owned by Jeremy Clarkson or Harry Kane, but doubt many would be drawn by DD.

It's a bit like running a pub (which was once very popular with ex footballers). Seems like a fun job to do, and needing little experience. The reality is a lot different.

• Like 1

On 01/11/2023 at 12:25, lcfc278 said:

About halfway through the podcast and I have to say he's quite clearly a little deluded and a bit of a narcissist.

At the beginning, said he was retiring as he'd had no offers, then said he'd had offers from loads of Championship clubs. Then he said when he joined Reading he wasn't fit but after 6 months when he'd got fit he said he was good. Then he said after the season finished he needed to get fit again but couldn't understand why a club hadn't given him a chance. Why didn't he just keep himself fit if he knew it would take him 6 months to do so like at Reading? He then couldn't believe no teams would give him a chance but again said he'd had loads of offers from the Championship. Was he seriously waiting for a Premier League team to come in? And did he seriously think he didn't have to stay fit as he'd get fit at said new club? Can't work the guy out.

I have absolute respect for him for the few years he had here, played some of the most enjoyable football to watch in the Championship in 2013/14 and one of the legends of 2015/16 but he can only have himself to blame for all the other pitfalls.

After finishing it I think I might have been a bit harsh saying he was a narcissist, I ended the podcast feeling a little bit sorry for him in some ways (mad I know as he's a millionaire who's basically had 5 years getting paid shed loads to not do a lot).

I think being in football from the age of 7 or 8 or whatever it was, you can tell he is basically not prepared or educated on how to behave or act when he's no longer being put on a pedestal by everyone around him. When the wheels seemingly came off  at Chelsea he decided he would just go in every day to be the 'clown' as he put it, almost like he was rebelling as he wasn't one of the golden boys at that club, from there on out he felt like he was above going to places like Burnley and Reading and mostly because he's probably been told how amazing he is all his life and only ever gone upwards in his career. Hope he finds something to focus on now in retirement and maybe in a few years when he's had time to sit back and look at his career a bit more he can appreciate the opportunity he's had in life.

1 hour ago, KFS said:

Very interested to know what he couldn’t talk about during the chelsea days that he says meant his career took a full turn

I think when people only have themselves to blame but don't want to admit that, they will often find something to attach that blame to. I doubt it's anything. 

He had chances out on loan to prove he was as good as he thinks he was and he failed. 

Which is fine. He has done more than most footballers ever will. Just strange to tell himself he is any better than he actually was.

8 hours ago, ElusiveEd said:

Back pocket change, considering he was reportedly on 120k basic a week at Chelsea for five years.

That's 31m before stoppages.