Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Leeds post match thread - 0-1 loss

55 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Centre attacking mids created nothing. And the wingers. Bar Fats cross bar, didn't carve much out either. I'll accept Leeds thought harder. But disappointed with our lack of creativity. 1 shot between the sticks!!!!

Yep, we really miss having a decent #10 to play in the centre. Vardy and Nacho have to drop deep into this role, so there is nobody in the box to hit when we attack. We couldn't get numbers into the Leeds box at all tonight.

We will really have to buy better players if we get promoted and keep Enzo, this style of play with these players will get torn to shreds in the Premier League.

shame to lose, thought it was a pretty even game, dont think either deserved to lose or win, but Leeds took their chance so full credit to them

thought Vardy and Casadei werent much cop tonight, the latter was woeful imo; be glad to have Wilf, Yunus and Praet back tbh

Cannon too for another option up top

if Fatawu's shot had gone in think it could have been a different game

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Also don't let KDH take a set peice ever again. I've never seen anyone as poor. 

Did you not see that free-kick from Justin on 96 minutes - our last attacking kick of the game and he ballooned it over everyone in the box straight out of play :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

So we aren’t quality just total garbage… just lucky we have played San Marino every match 

We have quality, yes, but i don't think we have seen anything close to what this group is capable of. 

And yes, we basically have. The finishing in this league so far by the opposition has been comical. I don't think we have played anywhere near as well as the league table would suggest and i am pretty sure almost all of the teams and fans we have come up against thus far have come away - even in defeat - thinking that we were not as good as they were expecting.

Edited by adejo92
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, AjcW said:

The only time we were allowed to play “the Enzo way” was in the 93rd minute, first shot on target. Sometimes just have to say hats off to the opposition, game plan was superb today.

We played well - and, apart from Fatawu’s cracker that unluckily crashed off the bar, it took a world-class save by Meslier to preserve their victory. It was a good game between two well-matched sides and not surprisingly it took a fortuitous goal to separate the sides. We missed Wilf and Yunus (and Praet) today, but we move on.

2 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

I think we have become too predictable we mess about too much at the back, possession is one thing but if it doesn't convert into meaningful attacking play, what is the point. I feel tonight has been an eye opener given the quality we have on paper we still should able to find ways to beat teams like Leeds but they could have beaten us 3 0 tonight. Other teams will be looking at tonight game and thinking we are beatable, if you close us down, beat us to the challenge and break out on us.

Tbh on paper I think Leeds are almost a match for us, especially if we take off our blue tinted spectacles when we look at our beloved players. 

They have some real quality in there and that showed tonight. Thankfully, we have started the season on fire and so we have a nice gap to them even after tonight. 

No doubt they will be pushing the top 2, but they will drop points as well, and probably more than us over the course of the season, as has been happening so far. 

N'didi was a big miss tonight, and we just weren't at it, whereas Leeds played the near perfect game. We were still inches away from nicking a 1-1 at the death though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gamble92 said:

Did anyone feel like one floating, labouring ball cut across from Fatawu to Mavididi was ever going to do anything all night?

Me neither. And we did it 9 times. Literally the most predictable I have seen us in ages and we offered nothing to change it.

We had two attacking patterns. One was the deep cross winger to winger, and the other was to try and do a 1-2 past their defenders. Neither worked all night and we kept trying them, seemingly devoid of any other ideas.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Annoying to lose that. Not at the races compared to them. Leeds deserved to win as they nullified us and had the kind of game plan we would execute away at a big side. 

Fatawu was electric first half. Part of me thinks he was told to calm it after half time and if that is the case, it's absolutely bewildering considering he had the beating of Byram and that Byram was on a yellow. I can't think of any other reason he wouldn't try to take Byram on more. Might have got knackered towards the end of the second half but his regression began straight after half time. Shame as deserved a goal based on that first half. 

Casadei not good enough. Several other players just average. Thought we could have pushed on after the first half as we just needed to execute the final ball better. But we came out as if we were scared and shocked at them pressing us high. In reality we're probably fortunate they were wasteful in front of goal given how many times we gave it away. 

Need to improve a lot for next Saturday to get back on track. 

Completely agree about Fatawu, he scared them to death first half, had Byram on toast, and on a yellow, then right from the start of the second half, he stopped running at him, and was playing sideways and backwards.

It made no sense, and like you, I wondered if Enzo had told him to reign it in, and move the ball more, to try to create spaces,  rather than run at the defence.

Casadei was awful, I was encouraged against Sunderland, but thought he was quiet against QPR, and tonight was more a hindrance than a help.

I wouldn't play him next week, if Yunus and Wilf are still out, I would either try McAteer there, or do what he done after he took Casadei off tonight, and play Ricardo higher up, with Hamza behind with Winks.

Vardy spent more time facing our goal than theirs  and so was completely out of the game, and Nacho wasn't any kind of threat either.

All in all, a disappointing night, because although Leeds were OK, I thought they were very beatable too.

Anyway  13 wins from 15, we can't complain too much, so onwards and upwards!

Edited by smudger63
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

I honestly think we  could have played another 90 minutes and we wouldn’t have scored. We just don’t commit numbers forward. We don’t play with any urgency in their half. I called jt Rodgers Ball 2.0 on the match thread and that’s how it feels. Like we’ve lost sight of the aim being to score when you have the ball, not just recycle it for the sake of it. I really, didn’t enjoy that. 

...it seems everything tonight was counter to what Maresca was installing!!!

The way we play should mean we get many players in the box, as earlier in the season that was what we were doing. The lack of substitution was a big surprise, I was hoping Casadei would be taken off at halftime and McAteer brought on, or putting McAteer on the right wing with Fatawu going central as I feel he could be very useful there. Too often the wingers would receive the ball and lay it off as opposed to taking on their man, Leeds did drop deeper, but we never got a real run at their defence.

Big question, where was KDH before the header at the end?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

Only when we play decent sides, thankfully there ain't many of them in this league 🤣

if I said that when in league one..  well I would be beaten down, we are here for a reason, Leeds have a similar squad… we narrowly lost… shit happens. I think there are too many here that expect perfection everytime… if records being broken isn’t enough then you are only going to be disappointed. If you were a Man City fan I’m sure you would be still disappointed and be calling pep out 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

Better team won. Had we taken our chances in the first half with Mavididi opening up the left wing repeatedly we might've been able to control it more but their pressing was thorough. In possession we didn't create enough, especially in the middle.

Summerville is a smooth player, always available and danced down the wing repeatedly - Ricky put in another top level performance.

Ndidi is a huge loss to us, his physicality in midfield is sorely missed and being able to bounce off the Winks and the winger on the right was a lucrative outlet. I don't know what's happened to Praet either, he's vanished.

To be fair we needed another check. As soon as the threads were on here eyeing up Reading's record total, "we'll go unbeaten from 'ere" being banded about, and "we're already up" ect. Half of you on here were just asking for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Did anyone feel like one floating, labouring ball cut across from Fatawu to Mavididi was ever going to do anything all night?

Me neither. And we did it 9 times. Literally the most predictable I have seen us in ages and we offered nothing to change it.

There was hardly ever any target in the middle. At least there was a chance Mavididi would cobble up a situation that he/we could muddle something in. 

Loving the fact that Leeds fans are literally creaming themselves tonight. Reading their forum is hilarious – at least one saying that "sleeping will be hard tonight". lol

Supposedly a "big club" blowing themselves to sleep after winning a game in November, while third in the second tier. 

They'll end up in the play-offs, whether they want it or not. So good luck to them. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Annoying to lose that. Not at the races compared to them. Leeds deserved to win as they nullified us and had the kind of game plan we would execute away at a big side. 

Fatawu was electric first half. Part of me thinks he was told to calm it after half time and if that is the case, it's absolutely bewildering considering he had the beating of Byram and that Byram was on a yellow. I can't think of any other reason he wouldn't try to take Byram on more. Might have got knackered towards the end of the second half but his regression began straight after half time. Shame as deserved a goal based on that first half. 

Casadei not good enough. Several other players just average. Thought we could have pushed on after the first half as we just needed to execute the final ball better. But we came out as if we were scared and shocked at them pressing us high. In reality we're probably fortunate they were wasteful in front of goal given how many times we gave it away. 

Need to improve a lot for next Saturday to get back on track. 

They doubled up on both our wingers in the second half, that's why we couldn't get them in until we started really pushing in the last 15. Unfortunately our central midfield was basically Winks; KDH, Casedei, and Hamza we mostly bobbins and were not able to unlock the defence even with the extra space Leeds gave them.

Once Leeds scored, they went full defensive and knew they just had to hold on for the last 15 minutes.

5 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

We have quality, yes, but i don't think we have seen anything close to what this group is capable of. 

And yes, we basically have. The finishing in this league so far by the opposition has been comical. I don't think we have played anywhere near as well as the league table would suggest and i am pretty sure almost all of the teams and fans we have come up against thus far have come away - even in defeat - thinking that we were not as good as they were expecting.

You are another that didn’t watch before 2016, everything isn’t perfect so the records being broken don’t matter, because they are only in the second division. We are here for a reason

Edited by foxes_rule1978