Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Leeds post match thread - 0-1 loss

Very frustrating night. Didn't deserve to win the game but conversely felt we didn't deserve to lose either.

Disappointed with our wingers in possession tonight, seemed scared to run at their man. Fatawu in particular should have been asking more questions of Byram given his early booking, and Mavididi looks like he doesn't believe in the talent he has. Would have liked to see McAteer get some minutes as I think he'd have caused them problems.

Not convinced by Casadei as a starter. Looks handy coming off the bench but I think we certainly look weaker without N'didi. Yunus is a big loss too as I think he really helps with managing the game in the latter stages.

Think Enzo will be disappointed with the goal, really sloppy one to concede and two phases of play where we've switched off. 

Oh well, a defeat isn't the end of the world given we're 11 points ahead of Leeds so early in the season. Need to move on now and focus on getting back to winning ways against Boro. 

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

When he's played with Iheanacho in a front two he's been much more dangerous.

It's not happening. We'd rather ask Vardy to be a link player at the age of 37 than play two strikers. Iheanacho behind a striker when we're searching for a goal was the obvious move when you've no Yunus or Ndidi to come on. Our wingers played better tonight but rarely score goals which is another problem, McAteer has more goals than them both combined even when he's hardly played compared the others.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Manini said:

Our home record, all told, over the last 18 months/2 years is ****ing atrocious. It’s anything but a fortress and it winds me up no end. 

What you have to remember was that for the vast majority of the last 18 months / 2 years, is that this man was in charge....

:brendan_still:

Edited by jim5000

8 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

What you have to remember was that for the vast majority of the last 18 months / 2 years, is that this man was in charge....

:brendan_still:

And we’ve now lost 2 at home with a new gaffer in charge in a division we shouldn’t be in (which is down to the bloke mentioned). My point is good teams don’t lose at home very easily, I’m not saying we aren’t a good team at this level but it would just be lovely to be dominant at the KP for a sustained period and make it a really difficult place for sides to come. We cough up far too many points at home for a squad of our calibre in my opinion. 

We didn’t create much today. Vardy really struggled and that wasn’t helped by Leeds nullifying our number 8’s throughout the game, (particularly Casadei who was schooled by Kamara) once the goal went in they also doubled up on our wingers. Would’ve been a draw but for a poor bit of defending at the corner. Fair play to Farke for his tactics tbh. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Manini said:

And we’ve now lost 2 at home with a new gaffer in charge in a division we shouldn’t be in (which is down to the bloke mentioned). My point is good teams don’t lose at home very easily, I’m not saying we aren’t a good team at this level but it would just be lovely to be dominant at the KP for a sustained period and make it a really difficult place for sides to come. We cough up far too many points at home for a squad of our calibre in my opinion. 

We've lost two matches all season. We play half our matches at home so of course we are going to lose some there. We've won all the other home matches. Today we can up against a fellow relegated PL team that could stand up technically to us and had clearly worked long and hard on a gameplan for how to beat us. They were unfortunately more fired up than us and a scruffy goal won them a tight game.

Yeah, we were gash bottlers under Rodger's, but it's a new era with a nearly brand new team that has only played 15 or so competative matches together. Of course we are going to lose the odd game against equally matched opposition.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Can we stop talking about breaking records now and live in reality?

It's still looking good, obviously, but I'd snap your hand off for 2nd place and promotion.

Thats all that matters.

100%. Leeds would trade with us any day.

We will lose again, $hit happens. It's the end goal of promotion i care about most.

Let's  respond like we did after losing to hull and win another 9 in a row.

1 hour ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I think we fail to commit bodies into the box. As neither Stephy or Fats go for the six yard box. So leaving a solitary striker unless an attacking mid joins. 

...it is hard to believe that two-wingers are not steeped in the knowledge that if one winger is attacking the goal the opposite winger needs to be at the back post!!!

There are a lot of basics, that every week, we are flying in the face of, especially with our wingers, it does not take too much to iron out these shortcomings. Improve the player and it improves the team, I don't want to see the same flaws every week. it needs addressing.

Frustrating! Fatawu denied a goal of the season by the crossbar. They deserved it to be fair. That Piroe miss in the first 5 minutes was shocking. 
I thought Justin looked weak defensively at times. We also hurt ourselves with the excellent passes from Vestergaard to both Vardy and Iheanacho whose poor first touches instead of opening them up gave the ball away and led to dangerous counter attacks. 

Some people on here love a defeat :) Not sure many post match threads have hit 19 pages so quickly!

Thought Leeds were really good the first 15-20 minutes. Pressed effectively and had bags of energy. I felt we came into our own about 1/2 through the first half and largely took control of things. Fatawu's shot that hit the bar was immense - it deserved to go in.  Fair play to Leeds for edging it in the 2nd half - i think the game deserved a draw but you are going to lose games in the Championship so im not going to lose my shit with a 1-0 defeat to Leeds.  

This is about as tough as it's going to get all season. They are a decent side but its not like they smashed us. I thought we defended well and Winks and Ricardo in particular were brilliant. Our Strikers really struggled, with Vardy in particular playing very deep. Leeds did defend well and countered fast and i think part of us not 'giving it a go' was containing the counter attack. We very nearly equalised at the end - very fine Margins. 

I too thought Cassadei was poor, but this is a tough game for a kid learning his trade. This was a game for Wilf but even he would have been pressed relentlessly and I think would have lost possession alot.  Actually thought Hamza looked decent in the role - but he's wiser and more experienced. 

In games like this (and i felt this against Hull), i feel we are missing a creative playmaker. When we can't break though, the system feel overly rigid. But again, you can't say Leeds were hammering us, so the system contained them and we still created chances. But a playmaker will add that little bit extra and provide more quality in set pieces.  Its where we really miss a Maddison type player (yes - i know Maddisons don't grow on trees!).  Personally think this is where we need to be investing in January. 

I still back Enzo to push the team on from here. The Hull defeat seemed to inspire everyone more and I expect the same here. Sometimes realising that you don't just turn up to win is a good thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it is hard to believe that two-wingers are not steeped in the knowledge that if one winger is attacking the goal the opposite winger needs to be at the back post!!!

There are a lot of basics, that every week, we are flying in the face of, especially with our wingers, it does not take too much to iron out these shortcomings. Improve the player and it improves the team, I don't want to see the same flaws every week. it needs addressing.

That's exactly what we were doing in the second half, and a couple of times in the first. Fatawu repeatidly crossed it deep to Mavididi who was at the back post. Whether it was intentional or not is another question (lol), but Mavididi was at the back post far more times than Vardy or Nacho were on the 6 yard line.

1 hour ago, kyleolly said:

Leeds started well and we weathered the storm our passing was really sloppy if Abdul’s shot had gone in and not hit the bar it would have been a different game. We started the 2nd half poorly and Leeds deserved a goal. We looked void of ideas going forward but still could have nicked a draw at the end oh well on to the next one.

...same thing happened against Hull, Fatawu hit the post, never feeling like we were going to score!!!

• Like 1

On 02/11/2023 at 13:25, LCFCJohn said:

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Ah well. Can't win em all. 

Quite the compliment that massive Leeds are celebrating a win over little Leicester like they've won the Champions League bless em. 

This is true. Outside the ground post match it was as if they'd won the champions league. Just like in the 1970s :ph34r:

Edited by Plastik Man
Wrong post quoted, can't seem to delete it!