Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Leeds post match thread - 0-1 loss

Just now, Pub breath said:

I'm sorry but that's an awful assessment of the game.

Leeds took the game to Leicester and it was only after the goal that the defence went deeper.  That's just a brilliant gameplan, perfectly executed.

Leeds were the more aggressive attacking team for most of that match. 

Sadly, I agree with this.  Their attacking intensity in the first 10-15 mins was amazing and they should have been 2 goals up, though credit to us for not being blown away by it and staying resolute.  We didn't find a way to put the same kind of speed and intensity into our attacking play, and we didn't find a response to their gameplan or the changes they made.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Leeds took the game to Leicester and it was only after the goal that the defence went deeper.  That's just a brilliant gameplan, perfectly executed.

The extended highlights are interesting as they show a different story. Leeds had some good moments but there are more positive moments from us Id say.

The best chance of the game was the one Leeds scored from though.

25 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

It really was a Rodgers like Premier League performance last night, and a lesson for Enzo how he needs to adapt and have other plans. 

It really wasn't, but I do think Maresca will be 'taking notes'. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

I guess that's why you had about 30% possession even before you asked scored, is it? Leeds basically pressed manically for the first 5-10 minutes of the first half and the first 5-10 of the second, and sat deep the rest of the time. Nothing wrong with that when you have a lot of pace up front and you don't really have ball players in central midfield. It was a good, solid away performance from you no doubt, but I don't think you can claim that it was an attacking masterpiece. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox

11 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

He’s a significant weak link in the chain at the moment - it’s so obvious he’s just not at the same level as the rest of the team. I hope he comes good but at the moment he looks completely out of place. 

can't see it, for a big bloke he's shoved off the ball way too easily and like soumare he's not quick enough in transition

29 minutes ago, lcfcell said:

Anyone else feel like Justin has been quite poor this season? Quite frustrating how many of his passes are poor 

Why he took that set piece at the end, I will never know. Especially when he’s shown he’s a decent target on a set piece. This style of play does show some limitations of his.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

I'm assuming your a Leeds fan.

You pressed us with high intensity at the beginning of both halves, should have scored early on when Piroe missed when my 9 year old nephew could have scored. 

Scored from a pretty standard corner, that we didnt defend properly, played some decent stuff at times, but I always felt that you were only going to score from poor defending from us, which you did.

I thought you looked OK, without looking anything special, but that could be said about us, in many of our games this season.

From our point of view, I didn't think we got enough bodies in the box when we went forward, mainly because I think we were very wary of you on the counter attack, with the pace you have going forward, and the lack of pace we have at the back.

If any side edged it, I thought it was Leeds, but I don't think either team could complain if it had finished as a draw.

Honestly, only if Ipswich can maintain their form throughout the season, can I see the top two being anything other than  Leicester and Leeds at the end, mainly because the standard in the championship is really poor.

50 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

They exploited the space our inverted full back left but we dealt with these attacks well.

We lost because we couldn’t break them down

• Like 4

10 hours ago, deano1 said:

Can't help but think yet again vardy offering nothing surely it's time to give daka a try or start with nacho impossible do any worse vardy been woeful yet again but manager keeps starting him like playing with ten men 

...just as long as he finds himself in the box when we are attacking then I am fine with that!!!

We had a break away with Mavididi and he put a good ball into the box but Vardy was not there for the tap in, nor Fatawu pulled on to the far post.

So long as he is there to give an option for the wingers going forward that is all that is needed from both players.

It's one game against one of the better teams in the league. A game that tbh could have gone either way. Hardly the end of the world.

However I do think our veneer of invincibility is starting to wear off, and have thought as much over the last few games.

Despite the overall stats being good, the chances do seem to be drying up, with us struggling to open teams up. 

Despite our squad being crazy strong for this league, there are still a few weak links, most specifically and I hate to say it Vardy, who is contributing nothing at the moment, also Casadei is no way good enough for us.

Also we are really really missing Ndidi, who is so important to the way we set up

Anyway we've still had a very strong start to the season, and I think we're nailed on for promotion, however will be interesting to see how we shape up against Boro, who will be another tough test.

At least we're away from home!

• Like 1

goalie and defense played ok 

otherwise we got exactly what we deserved, totally clueless in midfield and attack with the exception of the 2 wingers nobody else turned up

Welcome to reality, beating the good teams is how to still be top at the end of the season

2 minutes ago, steveb said:

goalie and defense played ok 

otherwise we got exactly what we deserved, totally clueless in midfield and attack with the exception of the 2 wingers nobody else turned up

Welcome to reality, beating the good teams is how to still be top at the end of the season

Why does it matter who we beat? 

So if we beat everyone else but lose to the good sides (who are?) We don't won the league. Stop overreacting to a narrow defeat 

Edited by foxfanazer

5 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Why does it matter who we beat? 

So if we beat everyone else but lose to the good sides (who are?) We don't won the league. Stop overreacting to a narrow defeat 

It matters because all of the statistics prove it matters, historically the teams who beat their rivals get promoted,  it also matters because the "good teams" are the only teams that can finish above us so in effect every game against a "good team"  is a 6 pointer

Edited by steveb

Just now, steveb said:

It matters because all of the statistics prove it matters, it also matters because the "good teams" are the onyt teams that can finish above us so in effect every game against a "good team"  is a 6 pointer

The good team that we're still 11 points off after winning 13 of our 15 games this season? Oh yeah proper panic stations!

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

The good team that we're still 11 points off after winning 13 of our 15 games this season? Oh yeah proper panic stations!

No panic from me, overall i think we`ve done great so far, rode our luck a few times, maybe lacked creativity at the beginning and last night, but if you want to be top at the end of the season you have to perform against the good teams

1 minute ago, steveb said:

No panic from me, overall i think we`ve done great so far, rode our luck a few times, maybe lacked creativity at the beginning and last night, but if you want to be top at the end of the season you have to perform against the good teams

Lost twice to Arsenal and won the league ;)

58 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I guess that's why you had about 30% possession even before you asked scored, is it? Leeds basically pressed manically for the first 5-10 minutes of the first half and the first 5-10 of the second, and sat deep the rest of the time. Nothing wrong with that when you have a lot of pace up front and you don't really have ball players in central midfield. It was a good, solid away performance from you no doubt, but I don't think you can claim that it was an attacking masterpiece. 

Leeds tend not to press hugely in the opponenet's defensive third.  A huge amount of your posession was knocking it about at the back.  You attacks were very slow in their phases.  We don't attack like that and had far fewer passes in our attacking phases.  That's why we had more attempts than you, six times the shots on target yet less posession.  Posession has never given any indication of attacking intent.

If you'd had 60+% posession mostly in our half, that would indicate the deep block take mentioned.  That definitely wasn't the case.  Leeds 100% did not play that game with a parked bus and a deep block, it's just a really poor assessment of the match.

33 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

I'm assuming your a Leeds fan.

You pressed us with high intensity at the beginning of both halves, should have scored early on when Piroe missed when my 9 year old nephew could have scored. 

Scored from a pretty standard corner, that we didnt defend properly, played some decent stuff at times, but I always felt that you were only going to score from poor defending from us, which you did.

I thought you looked OK, without looking anything special, but that could be said about us, in many of our games this season.

From our point of view, I didn't think we got enough bodies in the box when we went forward, mainly because I think we were very wary of you on the counter attack, with the pace you have going forward, and the lack of pace we have at the back.

If any side edged it, I thought it was Leeds, but I don't think either team could complain if it had finished as a draw.

Honestly, only if Ipswich can maintain their form throughout the season, can I see the top two being anything other than  Leicester and Leeds at the end, mainly because the standard in the championship is really poor.

I am yeah but didn't especially want to advertise that.  Not keen on being "that guy" but for what it's worth, i've been on here plenty of times when you've beaten us too.  I'm not the gloating type, ugly quality.

Anyway, your take is reasonable.  I think you defended one on one moments far better than any team we've faced which prevented Summerville, James and Rutter skinning people for fun as they have against most teams.  We executed a sound game plan rather than playing the really expansive stuff we've played in other matches.  I did think we dominted the middle and our 2 in CM won the game.

• Like 1