Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Leeds post match thread - 0-1 loss

9 hours ago, jim5000 said:

Maybe he thought that a youth team graduate in his first season (few months really), returning from an injury, wasn't going to provide the edge we needed to change the match.

Maybe Mcateer isn't quite 100% fit and was on the bench incase we were crusing with 10 minutes to go, to get some minutes into him. But not really an option if we were chasing the game.

...McAteer was absolutely buzzing to get on the pitch,  doing sprints like he was a hundred metres runner!!!

He has a knack of doing something a bit different, he will commit to seeing an opportunity and going for it. It all seemed the same approach by the wingers and Fatawu had ran out of steam, it seemed.

Someone's should definitely ask Maresca about the lack of substitutions. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pub breath said:

I am yeah but didn't especially want to advertise that.  Not keen on being "that guy" but for what it's worth, i've been on here plenty of times when you've beaten us too.  I'm not the gloating type, ugly quality.

Anyway, your take is reasonable.  I think you defended one on one moments far better than any team we've faced which prevented Summerville, James and Rutter skinning people for fun as they have against most teams.  We executed a sound game plan rather than playing the really expansive stuff we've played in other matches.  I did think we dominted the middle and our 2 in CM won the game.

What's your take on Byram potentially being sent off for two quick yellow card challenges on Fatawu? Thought the ref bottled it to be honest 

7 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

I did think we dominted the middle and our 2 in CM won the game.

Thought Ampadu and Kamara were great (but so was Winks, again). Thought Archie Gray settled well in the end too. I think we missed Ndidi centrally, would have evened that midfield battle up a bit more as Casadei didn’t look up for the fight. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

What's your take on Byram potentially being sent off for two quick yellow card challenges on Fatawu? Thought the ref bottled it to be honest 

Didn't see two challenges that I thought were yellows.  One definitely was though.

I also thought we would have had a penalty with 8/10 refs so swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Pub breath
  • Like 1

Just now, Manini said:

Thought Ampadu and Kamara were great. Thought Archie Gray settled well in the end too. I think we missed Ndidi centrally, would have evened that midfield battle up a bit more as Casadei didn’t look up for the fight. 

Really rated their full back. Expected Mavididi to rip into him and he was mostly kept quiet all game. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pub breath said:

Didn't see two challenges that I thought were yellows.  One definitely was though.

I also tought we would have had a penalty with 8/10 refs so swings and roudabouts.

A shirt pull when we were on the break and then the challenge he did get booked for. The first one is a booking 90% of the time.

Which penalty appeal was that?

1 minute ago, Manini said:

Thought Ampadu and Kamara were great. Thought Archie Gray settled well in the end too. I think we missed Ndidi centrally, would have evened that midfield battle up a bit more as Casadei didn’t look up for the fight. 

Yep.  Ndidi being out was likely a huge factor in the game.

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...McAteer was absolutely buzzing to get on the pitch,  doing sprints like he was a hundred metres runner!!!

He has a knack of doing something a bit different, he will commit to seeing an opportunity and going for it. It all seemed the same approach by the wingers and Fatawu had ran out of steam, it seemed.

Someone's should definitely ask Maresca about the lack of substitutions. 

The only real nagging complaint, I had from last nights reverse..Subs & use thereof..!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

A shirt pull when we were on the break and then the challenge he did get booked for. The first one is a booking 90% of the time.

Which penalty appeal was that?

On Rutter. 

Two yellows and a red for that would have been one hell of a harsh sending off imo.

I'm not sure I'd agree with Enzo regarding "overall it was a good performance" and "I don't think we deserved to lose".

At the end of the day you rarely win a game by having only one shot on target. We were the home side having two-third possession and should have punished them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Hmmm interesting

And you don't get penalties for diving 

Well, it wasn't a dive in the sense that there was no contact.  There was definitely a lot of contact.  He went down easily, for sure.  But then so do players every single week and that doesn't seem to make any difference.  If there's enough contact then it'll be given, regardless of exaggeration.

If penalties were given purely on the basis of whether there was enough contact to cause a human being to fall over, very few pealties would be given.

2 hours ago, snoopy87 said:

Definitely. The whole point of the striker coming deep is to pull the defence out and the two 8's move into the space behind him. Didn't see it happen once last night (hasn't happened much at sll this season if im honest), just seeing players in the box when we had it in the wing would've been nice, too many were waiting at the edge rather than making the run.

...if the striker is going to drop so deep, it is not going to encourage a defender to follow him and pick him up!!!

As a false 9, you are dropping 5 yards or more,  which still keeps you in the equation for the opposition defender, too deep and someone else gets to pick you up, the defender stays where he is.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Leeds tend not to press hugely in the opponenet's defensive third.  A huge amount of your posession was knocking it about at the back.  You attacks were very slow in their phases.  We don't attack like that and had far fewer passes in our attacking phases.  That's why we had more attempts than you, six times the shots on target yet less posession.  Posession has never given any indication of attacking intent.

If you'd had 60+% posession mostly in our half, that would indicate the deep block take mentioned.  That definitely wasn't the case.  Leeds 100% did not play that game with a parked bus and a deep block, it's just a really poor assessment of the match.

Fair enough you've picked a stat that favours you. But tellingly your xG was only just over 1, most of which was the open goal that Rutter put away from the corner, so my point stands you didn't create much. Neither did we of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VG Fox said:

can't see it, for a big bloke he's shoved off the ball way too easily and like soumare he's not quick enough in transition

Yep, he isn't small but just doesn't use his strength to hold off challenges. Needs to bulk up a little perhaps, and that should come as he matures.

He doesn't look that confident either, understandably as he is struggling. It looked like he was ready to run off even before his number came up for the substitution, though I guess he may have been told from the sideline he was being pulled.

There's definitely a lot of potential there but it's not happening for him at the moment.

• Like 1

Disappointing, but Leeds looked to use the long ball to find space and open up a stretched defence. Their goal didn't come from that but it was a constant worry.

Mavadidi and Fatawu honestly look the business - at last two fast and tricky wingers with bostin' shots. Trouble was there's no Madders there to take advantage of their potential. A big no. 9 would have provided an outlet.

Casadei had a poor game - should have been subbed at half-time. That Hamza was his replacement seemed negative - McAteer might have been the better choice. Although I loved his tackle on Summerville.

There was a lot of ineffective Chuckle Brothers passing going on at the back - 'to me, to you' stuff. That played into their fast press game - several times it nearly ended badly. That pattern of possession works against less effective teams, but it was a liability last night. Sometimes you have to risk losing possession to get the ball upfield.

We came to life too late on. You have to begin to stack up the shots early on to break down what was excellent defending.

MoM was Ricardo for me followed by Mavadidi and Fatawu.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Well, it wasn't a dive in the sense that there was no contact.  There was definitely a lot of contact.  He went down easily, for sure.  But then so do players every single week and that doesn't seem to make any difference.  If there's enough contact then it'll be given, regardless of exaggeration.

If penalties were given purely on the basis of whether there was enough contact to cause a human being to fall over, very few pealties would be given.

Would have been given by VAR most of the time in the Prem, particularly if it was a ‘big club’.  Refs seem to be more accepting of physical contact in the Championship, defenders bear hugging attackers is particularly bad.

I thought you just about shaded it last night but I don’t think you could have had too many complaints if KDH’s header had gone in, we had plenty of the ball in your half but couldn’t carve out any decent openings.

I haven’t seen much of Ipswich but I suspect that once injuries and suspensions start to bite and squad depth becomes more important we saw the two automatic promotion teams last night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

Why he took that set piece at the end, I will never know. Especially when he’s shown he’s a decent target on a set piece. This style of play does show some limitations of his.

...it is a role he is adapting to, not a role he is suitable for!!!

Maresca loves him, he will give him every opportunity,  but Doyle or a progressive left footed defender will be needed in the long run to make this system better.

Defensively I didn’t think we were too bad but going forward we couldn’t get it together at all. 

Casadei and Vardy were never really in the game. When we broke forward there was very little in the way of support. Mavididi broke down the wing at one point, three Leeds players converged on him and his only option was to play it right back to the edge of our area. 

A frustrating night. I don’t think Leeds are better than us but they were last night.