Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Leeds post match thread - 0-1 loss

I thought we started very nervously & looked to be lacking a bit of confidence. We seem to have lost a bit of verve over the last couple of matches & were passing it around aimlessly rather than carrying the ball forward, no-one seemed to want to make a positive pass.

We are obviously missing Wilf & Casadei is not the answer as his replacement as he does not have the pace or strength. Kasey made a big difference when he came on at QPR & I think would be good in the attacking midfield roll. I also think Younis is an option there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

The one where Rutter threw himself down with no contact, aka a bookable offence 

There was plenty of contact man.  Watch it again.  Legs tangled, hand on the back.  There was some simulation but when is there not?  You can't say there wasn't contact though, the contact was as clear as day.

It felt that was a game very much in four sections.

Leeds came at us hard and fast so we struggled to get any rhythm for the first 10 minutes or so and could easily have conceded.  Other managers will have seen that but not many will be well enough drilled not to leave themselves wide open doing it.

For the next 30 minutes or so we managed to gain some control around the middle and both wingers looked dangerous and had the beating of their full-backs.

They seemed to up the tempo just before half time and for 15-20 mins after that.  I couldn’t see if there was a tactical change but the effect was noticeable.

For the last 30 mins or so we seemed to be huffing and puffing with little or no effect.  Both wingers cut inside every time they got the ball and their full-backs had worked this out so it was relatively easy to defend.  We looked far more dangerous when we tried to go round the outside but that meant crossing with the weaker foot.  Maybe swapping sides in-game might give the opposition a different problem to solve under these circumstances.

As has been said, we missed Wilf in the number 8 role and for whatever reason Casadei did not look at the races which is a shame because he has looked better the last couple of home games.  Ricki P showed what an outstandingly gifted player he is by moving into that role and Hamza is far better in the inverted full-back role than I thought he would be but that is not ideal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Strange game in that I must've muttered 'well played' referring to a pass or piece of play or defending more than any other game in years.

Faes and Ricky were on another level. The wingers first half magnificent. Winks some beautiful work under pressure. Hermansen reading the game perfectly. KDH's running - his stats must be amazing. JJ holding up and delaying the wingers. Basically we had 9 players on it, Vardy out of it and poor old Casadei was beyond woeful. He's so far behind the others tactically, technically and in confidence it's embarrassing. 

I think 8 times out of 10 that game goes down as a hard fought draw..

Very good post. It's easy to be unduly influenced by the result of a game and forget there were lots of good things about last night. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

There was plenty of contact man.  Watch it again.  Legs tangled, hand on the back.  There was some simulation but when is there not?  You can't say there wasn't contact though, the contact was as clear as day.

Running alongside a player is not contact in any reasonable sense when talking about if something is a foul. Change it to minimal if you want to be pedantic but it was a clear dive and he should have been booked for that or bare minimum the dissent after the ref ignored his dive

• Like 3

No knee jerk reaction here but that team really really struggles in the prem next year if we get promoted which i think we still will win the league.

Enzo isn’t stupid though, he has been at man city and understands the calibre of player needed in this system. I fully expect a new star striker, better premier league standard Number 8 than kdh/ndidi/casadei and new left cb as first signings.

Edited by les-tah

13 hours ago, tom27111 said:

The off days are becoming frequent now though.

It's all well playing shite, winning, then saying "That's what champions do"

But it's been coming for the last few matches.

We also see people saying "Imagine how good we'll be when we click"

Maybe this is it?

Not being negative, although it comes across like that.

We're still in pole position, let's hope this is a wake up call and we get back to doing what we have been doing.

Agree with this Sunderland we were off it, QPR we were off it and now Leeds we were off it, I hope we do click and soon, but am struggling to see it happen like some think it will, yes we have had a dream start and like you dont want  to be negative because we should be happy as Larry, and I am, but have to  acknowledge the recent performances, and individual errors as well.  

• Like 2

Hermansen seems to have taken the bit about it not mattering if he makes a mistake as just casually piss around with it all you like lad.

Some of that passing from him first 10 minutes beggared belief. You couldn't even make out who he was trying to pass to. Way to sloppy and casual with it. 

Enzo needs to find a plan b or speed up our attack.

Our keeper and the back four need to realise with such a high press at times to play it longer. Nearly caught out a couple of times again last night playing it out.

Must give the opposition heart when they see the panic set in.

This is not doom and gloom as we are doing fabulous and this sort of result was going to happen like hull.

Can we not swap the wingers over in play to give the opposition something else to think about without making a substitution.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

The whole team got a shock, Leeds showed what a talented team can do and our guys, shit it.   Winks was the only one that stepped up

Tbf Ricardo also had one of his best games in years.  He was everywhere.

Edited by Benji

1 minute ago, Benji said:

Tbf Ricardo also had one of his best games in years.  He was everywhere.

And anyone who didn't think Fatawu was suberb in the first half needs their eyes checked.  And the 2 central defenders had good games too.

• Like 3

With Vardy absent and Natcho heading to the centre circle to collect the ball its no surprise we found scoring impossible. Our midfield is too ponderous. Every time we had played pitty patty around there were at least 9 white shirts in the way of their goal. Sometimes hoof ball is the best ball, if only to add a bit of variety. This side is too easy to read, it'd never get near goal in the Premiership. I recon we'd struggle to get 30 goals in a season in the EPL without some faster and direct attacking options out of defence or through the midfield.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

And anyone who didn't think Fatawu was suberb in the first half needs their eyes checked.  And the 2 central defenders had good games too.

I can dance better in a night club then anyone else, but i do not pull a bird l, whats the point?

End product..........

• Like 1

Leeds fan here, surprised at the negativity. 

LC by far the best team we have played this season. Goals changes game perception I guess. 

We are usually less clinical in our finishing, and often we allow soft goals against.  Yesterday was our day. 

I was a little surprised with the lack of directness, which perhaps is LC of the old (and plays to the strengths of Vardy). ManC-esque passing between defenders and midfield.  Still think you will win the league. Hope we can take 2nd place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I can dance better in a night club then anyone else, but i do not pull a bird l, whats the point?

End product..........

Depends if you are still learning your trade or are the finished artcle.

Fatawu is on loan and is 19 years old, and learning and getting better and better.

Suggest in 2 years he will be pulling birds you can only dream of. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Chelmofox said:

Depends if you are still learning your trade or are the finished artcle.

Fatawu is on loan and is 19 years old, and learning and getting better and better.

Suggest in 2 years he will be pulling birds you can only dream of. 

I agree, but to call him superb...........