Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Leeds post match thread - 0-1 loss

3 hours ago, lcfcell said:

Anyone else feel like Justin has been quite poor this season? Quite frustrating how many of his passes are poor 

I think he's been fine, but as others have started, not sure how he was allowed to take the free-kick right at the end. Didn't make sense to me when KDH was still on the pitch. 

And even if he is taking it, you have to expect much better than what he provided.

To be fair we’re riding high and doing well. Last night should not derail us. However, Enzo ball won’t save us in the Prem unless we somehow muster a starting 11 not too far off Man City’s. That won’t happen. 

We are better than most in the Championship, it’s just a fact. So we can get away with it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I agree, but to call him superb...........

In the first half yes. After they scored they doubled up on him and he ran out of steam, which is hardly surprising. That move when he hit the bar was top drawer stuff. Needs more respect than you are giving it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Running alongside a player is not contact in any reasonable sense when talking about if something is a foul. Change it to minimal if you want to be pedantic but it was a clear dive and he should have been booked for that or bare minimum the dissent after the ref ignored his dive

The commentary team didn't seem to see it that way.  I try to take out biases out of it.  You're much more likely to see it in as a dive because it would be negative to your team if it wasn't.  I'm much more likely to see it as a clumsy challenege and a push because it would be positive for my team.  Getting past those biases aint easy, however much you try and tell yourself you're being objective.

So i'd always try and look at it this way instead.  Have I seen similar penalties given in the top two divisions before?  The answer is an unequivocal yes.  Many times over.  If you read my first post on this, I didn't say it was indisuptably a penalty.  I simply said 8/10 refs give it and I stand by that.  It's given as a penalty more often than it isn't.  Whether you think that's more down to poor refs, refs being bought by the dive or the correct interpretation of the rules because there's contact, it matters not much.  They're mostly given and that was the only point I was making on the subject.

Sam Byram could have been sent off by another ref also.  Swings and roundabouts.

17 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Brighton manage it. If promoted, year 1 will be tough for sure, but i think saying you need Man City's squad just to get through it is wide of the mark.

Maybe and maybe not. We will likely find out. What I actually said was close to it. Certainly not the squad we have I think we can agree. 

Just can’t fathom how Casadei, Vardy and KDH were so poor last night. I mean beyond poor really. KDH did sort of turn up last 20 mins and was unlucky with the header, but he was a passenger most of the game. Was like playing with 8-9 men most of the game. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I think he's been fine, but as others have started, not sure how he was allowed to take the free-kick right at the end. Didn't make sense to me when KDH was still on the pitch. 

And even if he is taking it, you have to expect much better than what he provided.

I think he’s been solid defensively but he’s definitely not as comfortable on the ball as Doyle, seems to pick the wrong pass a lot. Yeah I couldn’t believe by eyes when I saw him taking that free kick lol 

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

Didnt think we deserved to lose, they were better but didnt really carve out chances.

Still not a fan of Maresca-ball and no matter what the the results, I will never be.

Probably the lipstick & make up,looking better because of some dynamic running off the ball..Leeds in the last 3 season.effective history proves otherwise..

Last night a single fortunate goal made the difference.

Like you I still need convincing,of easy,easy catches the monkey approach.

Our trigger movements are consistently far too slow,but I will keep an open mind,

Because we needed some type of new platform & a new split group of players,more importantly realising we have to build on and within this new Enzoball ideology.

Patience & time is needed,unlike Rodgers simular thoughts, though now  over only 15 games, we see exciting areas making slow progress..Just on the deployment and use of wing play alone,it’s worth for me maybe not all fans, to sit back and see how other pairs and triangles also develope. KDH has upped his game,Winks gives us a different dimension,and actual depth to our game. It took PEP & others new ideologies,time to find consistency,even when doing it at various clubs with far better rescources & finances…We are just at the beginning having our first taste.

At least this group of players have taken to the idea…Rodgers collective seemed more to fight against it,and manager lost anybody who wanted to go with him..

We still have to get into our mind,to accept that obvious quick

move to Fatawu Mavididi ( last night) can’t always be on,he had just done 2-3 runs,though towards the end it beggars the question why not Marcel /Mcateer

coming on last 15 minutes to keep that  pressure from the flanks on.

Its not because of them doubling up,but 2 fresh faces to keep up the pressure.

Or the flexability of manouvrering around the position of Casadei & KDH,with Nacho,Mavididi,Mcateer drop ins..

Thats my take on it, but  it’s early yet,and no reason not to believe Enzo management,won’t work on the variables..

• Like 1

Nothing to be worried about if we beat 'Boro next week.

In terms of styles, basically was like Man City v Liverpool from 4/5 years ago. Liverpool beat City plenty, suffocated them or hit them on the break, similar happened to us. It happens. Leeds have a quality squad and exploited us.

Edited by BigC
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...just as long as he finds himself in the box when we are attacking then I am fine with that!!!

We had a break away with Mavididi and he put a good ball into the box but Vardy was not there for the tap in, nor Fatawu pulled on to the far post.

So long as he is there to give an option for the wingers going forward that is all that is needed from both players.

Vardy of old would have prospered with wingers putting balls in at pace but last night his positional play looked poor. He seemed to keep getting in the way in midfield, often losing the ball, instead of being there for crosses from the wingers. Ieanacho also plays too deep to be effective with wingers. If we can't get Cannon fit surely Daka should be given a start, at least he has the pace to be there when it matters.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

In the first half yes. After they scored they doubled up on him and he ran out of steam, which is hardly surprising. That move when he hit the bar was top drawer stuff. Needs more respect than you are giving it.

Some people just expect the new younger players to be like Messi.

Even KDH gets hammered and hes the future of the club.

Sometimes I just despair of our fanbase.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

In both this game and against Hull we’ve had their full backs on yellows early on and then just stopped running at them, instead choosing to slow the game down and pass it backwards. 

Leeds actually started to double up on our wingers, probably to reduce the risk of a second yellow. This also meant that both our wingers struggled to find space that they had in the first half, and were forced to pass back or sideways. There were gaps to expose in the centre due to this switch by Leeds but Casadei isn't creative or good enough in that role, and KDH wasn't at his best. Needed Akgun and N'didi available. Would also like to see us bring in another creative CM in the Jan window, as Casadei is the weak link so far

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BigC said:

Nothing to be worried about if we beat 'Boro next week.

In terms of styles, basically was like City v Liverpool from 4/5 years ago. Liverpool beat City plenty, suffocated them or hit them on the break, similar happened to us. It happens. Leeds have a quality squad and exploited us.

Which match are you referring to? The one on Boxing Day when Liverpool turned us over 0-4?

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

To be fair we’re riding high and doing well. Last night should not derail us. However, Enzo ball won’t save us in the Prem unless we somehow muster a starting 11 not too far off Man City’s. That won’t happen. 

We are better than most in the Championship, it’s just a fact. So we can get away with it. 

Yes like I said in another thread, we are were we mainly because the league is that shite, not because we are a mid table prem team playing in the championship! This team in my opinion would be in the bottom 4 of the prem 

1 hour ago, foxgas said:

Vardy of old would have prospered with wingers putting balls in at pace but last night his positional play looked poor. He seemed to keep getting in the way in midfield, often losing the ball, instead of being there for crosses from the wingers. Ieanacho also plays too deep to be effective with wingers. If we can't get Cannon fit surely Daka should be given a start, at least he has the pace to be there when it matters.

...for Vardy read Daka, it should be right up Nacho's street playing as a false 9, but he seems to want to keep dropping deeper and deeper!!!

You must wonder if that is down to Maresca looking for overloads in midfield as I cannot see him being happy with Nacho appearing where he does. Now Maresca either pulls him up for it or continues to allow it to continue and it makes no sense. If Nacho is there to get a feel of the ball, then we have to question Maresca.

5 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Didnt think we deserved to lose, they were better but didnt really carve out chances.

Still not a fan of Maresca-ball and no matter what the the results, I will never be.

4 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

The whole team got a shock, Leeds showed what a talented team can do and our guys, shit it.   Winks was the only one that stepped up

So we did deserve to lose or not?

3 hours ago, Corky said:

Disappointing to lose but thought we were second best. Too many players not quite at it, really. No need to panic and need to respond how we did to our last defeat.

Yeah you can’t win them all, Leeds were better we move on, I mean it is good we are 11 ahead of them… after 15 games that is still an impressive points total 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

4 hours ago, Bazly said:

With Vardy absent and Natcho heading to the centre circle to collect the ball its no surprise we found scoring impossible. Our midfield is too ponderous. Every time we had played pitty patty around there were at least 9 white shirts in the way of their goal. Sometimes hoof ball is the best ball, if only to add a bit of variety. This side is too easy to read, it'd never get near goal in the Premiership. I recon we'd struggle to get 30 goals in a season in the EPL without some faster and direct attacking options out of defence or through the midfield.

I also think we miss Wilf in this set up. Genuine box to box and adds bite in midfield. We get carved open because Casadei doesn’t give us the same level of protection imo. 

No one is as hungry like the Wilf! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mark said:

We didn’t show enough urgency to go forward until they scored, and even then created nothing worthwhile. We seem too happy to go backwards even when in decent positions just to keep possession

We passed back to try to drag them with us and they just stood their ground so we just kept launching it to fatawu. Didn't mix it up at all imo. Same thing over and over and it was not working.

• Like 2