Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

Middlesbrough Away 11/11/23

50 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Create a team ethic - see above! 

It's not just Enzo, it's everyone playing for him and involved around him. 

Not out of the Brendan Rodgers book thankfully ie down to my good management if we win, down to the players, owners, weather or supporters if we lose. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I think they bring players into the first team setup regularly for,  experience!!!

Yeah that’s usually earlier in the training week though, the day before a game is different as it’s right at the business end of things. Could be nothing but worth noting. 

9 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Yeah that’s usually earlier in the training week though, the day before a game is different as it’s right at the business end of things. Could be nothing but worth noting. 

Great character and knowledge from my ginger friend. 

• Haha 1

Not sure we're improving from the early part of the season yet, in fact if recent games are anything to go by we're regressing or have at least stalled. Maybe injuries have taken their toll a bit.

So I'd be surprised if we win tomorrow, as like Leeds, Boro are a team firmly on the up and if they've done their homework they could well take this. In fact I think that's what will happen, 3-1 Boro and a bit of a reality check for us. Probably not a bad thing, and for the record I still think we're gonna go up automatically (but doubt it'll be as clear cut as it seems now). 

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Praet playing understudy to Wilf for the rest of the season is what will determine if we get 100+ points or not. 

Casadei showed last week that one single weak link in the machine will act as our kryptonite 

And when has Praet been anything other than a weak link? 10 minutes vs Coventry seems to have left a lasting impression again, this happens every time he's injured

25 minutes ago, Mark said:

And when has Praet been anything other than a weak link? 10 minutes vs Coventry seems to have left a lasting impression again, this happens every time he's injured

I get that and i find him a frustrating player (not least as he can't stay fit) but a drop down in standard and acting as a deputy to Wilf, I really think you'd be hard pushed to expect stronger back up in the championship 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Hahaha, that's twice (and annoyingly, worringly) today I have secretly agreed with one of your absurd posts. 

Just can't envisage this lad as anything other than Everton's George Hirst and we are the little Ipswich role in this. 

You're slowly coming over to the dark side 😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nod.E said:

There's only 3 teams in the top half we haven't played yet and we're 11 points clear of 3rd, yet if we lose away tomorrow at an in form Boro, this place will look like the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan. 

Absolutely zero evidence to suggest anything other than promotion at a canter at this stage. Now obviously injuries, fallouts, loss of form etc can happen, so I'm not saying it's a dead cert. But from the evidence in front of us we should be nothing other than confident, regardless of the result tomorrow.

Those teams we beat,first time around, can also improve through the season..

So we should not yet take things for granted,until we see the run into and after the festive season..Our credentials will only become then evident..

At present we are in the more bias nomans land and leading propaganda that goes with it..

Enzo is the only one who keeps telling all & sundry,let’s keep our feet on the ground,and every single opponent should be respected. & we ourselves should concentrate on ourselves & the next challenge..Each Journo question he returns,with simplicity no panic.no promise on result.

We fans love to see more than into what’s been,and go OTT on future prospects…

I preferably,just hope I can enjoy the journey each week bring us,and what the players potentials in progress brings us…Searching future permatations,I go under the bed covers with torch,to dream what they could bring,but after the next mornings waking up,realise & know there are many questions still to be answered..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Spotted that. He's done well so far since coming here and was probably our best player in the week. 

Ah, that’s the lad I must have spotted then! Wondered who it was. Love how Enzo seems to want to give the youth a chance! 

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Middlesborough vs Leicester Pre-Match Preview

wfqbsfZ.png

Boro are a really decent team and have a player I really admire in Michael Carrick in charge who has done an excellent job. He took over when they were in the relegation zone, changed their style of play and took them to the play-offs! I had them down as potential automatic promotion contenders when we first went down, but they got gutted by losing many of their star players such as last season's Championship player of the year Chuba Apkom and started the season badly as a result. However, recent form has picked up a lot and have only dropped points in 2 of their last 10 games.

• Boro are an attacking team and average a high number of xG in all their games/ Even when their results were bad, the underlying data suggested they were unlucky.
  • They play 4231, but function somewhat similar to Ange Postecoglou's teams, where they go for a back 3 in possession.
    • However, unlike us, the spare fullback doesn't play as an extra midfielder, but as a wide player.
    • This allows them to play a support striker / number 10, and this is the position where Chuba Akpom last season was so deadly from.
    • They maintain a double pivot throughout the match to give them midfield control, and they are a high possession team most of the time.
  • Boro are a modern team; they build from the back and press high up the pitch.
    • However, some of their players aren't as good as last season. Senny Dieng isn't as good with his feet as Zack Steffen was, Emannuel Latteh Lah is no Cameron Archer up front for them.
  • Boro are a fun team to watch because whilst they offer a lot in attack, they take chances at the back and have a lot of space in behind. The 3-3 game I posted above in their last match against Plymouth attesting to that opinion!
  • On paper I'd expect us to win this game. They will create problems, but like we've done in pretty much every away game this season, we should be able to kill them with our quality and especially on the transition. Stephy Mavididi in particular could have a lot of space to work with if we find him.
  • That said, energy levels are important. This is a team that at home especially, will take the game to us, and they like to start fast. We must match their workrate right from the off, and this would be my one concern. as to me it's looked like the players have needed some time off for quite a while, and we could really do with players like Ndidi and Praet back, as well as being able to use Yunus Akgun and Kasey McAteer more often from the bench.

Adam-Scully-9-1.png

^ An example of Boro in possession.

Adam-Scully-10-1.png

^ The passing network from the same game. Look how high one of their fullbacks (number 2) gets in their build-up!

Top..enjoyed that..!!
Top assessment of the next opposition..

• Thanks 1

A bit concerned about this one. Think we’ve looked a bit leggy last few games and been off it. Hoping we can get back to our level in this one. Be great to go into the break with the winning feeling again. Be a statement to the league if we can go and beat boro away off the back of a defeat. Think it’ll be a real tough one. 

11 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Enzo Maresca Pre-Match Press Conference vs Middlesbrough

Preparation?

“We gave them two days off, we were in Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday off, and yesterday and today we have prepared the game. Recovery is important.”

I was so very pleased to read this sentence.  Players getting three (!) full days off in the middle of the season, especially a 46-game Championship season, is absolutely a rarity.  And an entire weekend of no football (if you discount the Friday match)?  Glory!

Mental rest, as well as physical, is so good to get when it's available.  Especially for our international players, who might have to play up to three games during the international break.  (Yes I know most of them won't play three games, but still.)

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Top..enjoyed that..!!
Top assessment of the next opposition..

I find it interesting that Michael Carrick and Kieran McKenna are both doing very good jobs for their respective clubs, whereas Man United are in a mess. They will never do it, but purging a lot of their ageing squad and brining in one of them to overhaul everything, starting with a young core, would probably be the way to truly reboot them. I think both managers will have opportunities in the Premier League, either with their current clubs or those that fancy a change. McKenna seems to be the better one, but Carrick changed Boro from a team in the relegation zone to at one point almost getting into the automatics, he didn't need a lot of time to change their style of play or results.

I have to say that a lot of the teams in the Championship have pleasantly surprised me. I know a lot of our fans think the lack of quality here is eye-opening, and it is! But there's a lot of young managers trying to play attractive and possession based football, and I think that bodes really well for the national team in the future.