Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

A third of the season gone - your thoughts?

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Impressed.

Friday was a kick in the teeth but any loss isn't nice, given the start we've had we have no reason to complain about anything and as I said after Friday's game we'll need to use that as a positive to make us realise what we need to work on, humble us, ground us and a reality check.

The football and attitude around the club is a breath of fresh air and after years of being made to hate my club and football in general I have that passion and enjoyment returning - and there is far more to that than just because we are winning games.

Whilst I was critical of possession based football this is like a different game to what we've been accustomed too over the last few years, despite the jibes and jokes make of people saying "Forwards" this is forwards, it's exciting, it's enjoyable, whilst Enzo seems to have a plan and stick to the plan and whilst I do believe his mantra is 'If plan A isn't working, try harder' he is willing to mix it up, grind results out and play in different ways.

The strange thing is and i'm finding it really bizarre is that i'm hearing people being vocal and more criticism about it than they were before. I'm just like what the **** we're you watching before when you were sat there seemingly happy with the slide.

My own assessment of that, possibly misplaced, is that those very critical were the same folk criticising our fans for wanting Brendan gone 

• Like 1

Pretty sure we all predicted a much slower start (points wise) but when fairly analysing our performances there are very minimal areas that I’d love to see improved.

Excitingly/scarily (based on recent transfer windows), the next two transfer windows for me are huge to improve a few areas across the pitch.

CB (with a bit of pace), a creative 8 are on top of my wish list.

Edited by SafewayFox
  • Like 1

Great we have these games,it shows players & management team,what areas have to be worked on,

More important than the actual goal…

We were not getting enough players in the box,which with Mavididi & Fatawu performances,was quite criminal,after all front 6,in all games have mentioned

they were shown & supported from Enzo, from getgo,it’s one of the teams major points & strengths.

• Like 1

Most of us thought we would have a slow start after the slightly chaotic pre season. Enzo has worked wonders, and the players have bought into him and the system, and he has got the best out of them.   I love his energy and attention to detail. He is showing unbelievable focus. The start has given us the best possible foundation to get back to where be belong. 

Sadly, my socials are full of plonkers who are calling Enzo Poundland Pep. After the game people behind me saying ‘this system was always going to get us into trouble’. There are people who couldn’t wait for us to lose so they could have a good whinge. Don’t know if there are people still bitter about Brendan or if there is something else at play. I think a lot of people don’t appreciate how good this start has been. 

I think we need to move on from talk of breaking records etc and just get what we need to get done for automation promotion. Look at historical promotions and you see teams who have lost 10 games, or drawn a huge amount. We are going to drop points. What matters is picking up again after defeats and not doing what Norwich and Coventry have done. Teams are going to get it tactically right against us from time to time. Right now, we don’t need to panic and abandon the system/process, but use it as a foundation to learn. If we go on a horrible non winning run, then I will agree that Enzo will need to make changes, but right now I just don’t see it. 

On a separate note, although the result was depressing, as a game of football I actually enjoyed the Leeds game more than any other I’d been to this season. I’ve seen some absolute dirge at the KP this season (looking at you Bristol and Preston) so it was actually nice to see a competitive match. I could appreciate how Leeds came at us and that they defended well. We need more competitive games. Enzo needs more competitive games. In a way I hope this gives other teams the confidence to have a go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

We've started extremely well, better than any of could have expected.

Some poor performances lately have been covered by good results, but hopefully we continue progressing and pushing.

Can't play well in every game over a 46 game season.

The is a lot of merit in playing average and winning.

Very impressive- 15 games in and 13 wins and 2 losses - far outperformed any expectations. We have outperformed or just outlasted nearly every team we have played

Also, 1 loss to Hull was just one of those days - we had 20+ shots and just could not hit the target, I think we could have played until midnight that night and still would not have hit the target even after Hull went home - sometimes it just goes like that, but I still think our performance was good enough.

Leeds match on Friday was the 1st time I feel we were 2nd best, we usually grind teams down, but on this occasion I credit Farke with his tactical changes at half time and doubling up on our wingers. With Ricci moving into the middle, JJ doesn't overlap it completely nullified the threat of our wingers. Unluckily our injuries are hitting our number 8's - Yunus, Ndidi & Praet all injured and although I still rate Casadei as a very good potential talent, he is currently struggling in this system - nullified wingers and under-strength number 8's meant we could not move from defence to attack. Although I wanted to see more changes on Friday, Plan A has worked very well in previous matches in the final 15-30 minutes and Leeds will be one of the best sides we face this season. Only conceded from poor defending on a set-play.

• Like 1

Results wise it's been a 10/10 start.  Performances not so much.  Fortunately we can give average performances and we will still win more games than we won't due to the quality of opposition.  But we have looked a bit out of sorts recently despite the good results against Sunderland and QPR.  The Leeds game the poor form continued and we got done for it.  Unless we can come up with alternative ways of winning games when plan A doesn't work, I fear us coming unstuck against Boro as well. 

We have had an amazing start make no mistake about it. Enzo has performed miracles to get us playing so well in only 4-5 months. The player-fan connection has improved massively and we play some really impressive football.

Anyone who genuinely thought that we'd walk every match is off their rocker. 

Teams will always cause us some problems and we'll gift opponents chances playing the way that we do. 

The main thing is that we go straight back up and Enzo is well on course to deliver that. 

• Like 3

Very solid start, watching games you can see there is still a lot of work to do next season. What I've seen of Enzo so far though I back him to bring in the profile of player we need and continue to develop as a manager himself.

The vast majority of football fans are totally result driven in their thinking, so you read and hear a lot of predictable stuff. Much like under Rodgers when people refused to accept any issues existed cus we won the FA Cup while he was manager.

Enzo is a breath of fresh air though and I really do hope he continues to develop and grow and doesn't fall into that trap of believing his own hype. We should still be looking to smash records, not many teams have had the financial advantage over the majority of the league that we currently have. Just winning games because we're better man for man won't prepare us for the league above. So I really hope we start to see some dominant performances where we're not relying on moments of individual quality.

Overall good start, but definitely room for improvement if you apply context to the results. Excited to see Enzo grow with us and bring us forward as a club.

• Like 3