Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Middlesbrough Post Match 1-0 Defeat

No need to panic, we were never going to keep winning. There have been a few games where we were lucky to pick up wins so this was going to happen. 

we will be alright there’s enough to get out this league and then I’ll worry about the PL as we will need investment and 8 decent signings to stand a chance of staying up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...that is because we have been institutionalised in respect of how we play the game!!!

We have to start from the back and build, anything outside of that is alien, going direct with players taking the responsibility to progress and speed up the play is not part of the process. 

We have to our credit learned how to play a style of football that requires hard work and discipline, we now need to add variety to our game and reduce the passing to get in on goal, we are only passing for the sake of passing. 

Exactly. 

What lost us that game was our failings and not anything Borough done, Though the goal was a wonderful strike which I'll comment below.

We lost it in the first half with yet again too many loose passes over passing and to many passes in tight areas.

When you pass the ball 3 times in tight area's the object should be to get the Ball out of there, Not another pass in the same area. We've been guilty of that for too long now.

Over and under hit passes is another. Passes behind players instead of infront. Players not getting into position or turned on correctly to receive the Ball. All small things in themselves but the collective leads to our breakdown in play.

First half KDH seemed to be everywhere and no where to effect the game. Second half he done much better but again poor passing let him down.

Hamza again first half walked through the game without delivering anything. Second he was also much better, Doing what I believe he does best. that's breaking up play in forward area's and winning the Ball back. But he also needs to get his head up and look for a better pass. Too often he just turns back and plays it behind to whoever is nearest.

Stephy had it tough yesterday but again was left exposed without the  support he needed from KDH, JJ and Kelechi.

Our lack of someone to hold the ball and beat a man in midfield is also costing us. Maddison would be a revelation in that role in this league.

We had nobody leading the line at anytime during the game which is another mistake. Nacho playing too deep and Vardy no service.

I thought Borough were well drilled and had a clear plan which they executed well for most parts of the game, Including the Goal.

Now to the Goal leaving aside our mistake in conceding it I think Madensen is not blameless. He showed a lot of the Goal to his right inviting him to hit it there. Then why not move to cover that area early instead of waiting until after the Ball has been kicked.

I'm not saying he would have got it as it was a wonderful strike but he art least would have given himself a better chance. That's all.

Lastly, I dont understand why we give up games tamely. I know the ethos, But with time running out it's route one for me and create some terror in the middle of their defence. I'd have move Vesty up top and look for headers and knock downs.

Rather that continue in the same mould that hasn't worked for previous 80. It's a result business and even a point could be vital at the end of the season.

Let's hope Enzo improves improves some of these issues with the players during the International break and we get back to winning ways soon.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot

The 'we're far too good for this level' / HMS piss the league crowd could be this year's "we'll be fine" brigade.

Long way to go and plenty to be concerned about.

Burnley only lost 3 last year, we're already level with them.

Boro went for the man to man marking and Carrick said his team stuck to the plan.

We have Winks to replace next game, let's hope Enzo does have a Plan B or C or this place will be in Meltdown

Ps: Burnley did have 12 draws though :ph34r:

I didn’t see the game 

my reliable stream failed 

Did they go man for man on winks and inverted hamza ?  Did they try and press us high or did they stand off ?

EDIT: I see the answer above 

so our poor form matches the games where decent opponents have gone man for man with us. Even qpr caused us issues in properly controlling the game.

so this is a new situation for the coach to work his way through and it could take some time for the players to grasp what he requires of them 

Edited by st albans fox

50 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

The 'we're far too good for this level' / HMS piss the league crowd could be this year's "we'll be fine" brigade.

Long way to go and plenty to be concerned about.

I think you’re right. 

Lose to Watford and it could start a complete meltdown. 

This team is just as capable of a spectacular collapse as they are a spectacular success. The Brendan Rodgers brand is still under the new foundations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think you’re right. 

This team is just as capable of a spectacular collapse as they are a spectacular success. The Brendan Rodgers brand is still under the new foundations.

We have lost a game by more that one goal, all been fine margins too. Our 3 loses if we had won people wouldn't have sent we nicked that. 

It's football. You are never going to win every game. 

• Like 1

not reading the thread as sure some people are already having meltdowns. i went, thought overall we were the better team, certainly 2nd half we were a lot better than them. my only slight frustration is we aren't converting enough of our chances. even man city don't win every week so i'm not worried, or angry. prefer to be where we are compared to coventry

Guest Chocolate Teapot
4 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

We have lost a game by more that one goal, all been fine margins too. Our 3 loses if we had won people wouldn't have sent we nicked that. 

It's football. You are never going to win every game. 

Won loads of games by fine margins too. On fact all of them virtually bar southampton.

This isn't panic stations but if we lose the next two they'll be a lot of questions asked.

Long long way to go and hopefully shuts up some of the arrogant drivel that's come out of a small but noisy part of our fan base.

8 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think you’re right. 

my word, you're a positive ray of sunshine ain't you

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, guest123 said:

not reading the thread as sure some people are already having meltdowns. i went, thought overall we were the better team, certainly 2nd half we were a lot better than them. my only slight frustration is we aren't converting enough of our chances. even man city don't win every week so i'm not worried, or angry. prefer to be where we are compared to coventry

Man city don't lose twice in a row much either.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, guest123 said:

we better start panicing then. enzo out :rolleyes:

Not saying that, I'm saying the idea that we're far better than anyone else is ridiculous. We're a good side in this league certainly, probably top 4 but a good start doesn't prove anything I'm afraid. Long long way to go.

5 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Won loads of games by fine margins too. On fact all of them virtually bar southampton.

This isn't panic stations but if we lose the next two they'll be a lot of questions asked.

Long long way to go and hopefully shuts up some of the arrogant drivel that's come out of a small but noisy part of our fan base.

And Blackburn, plus we dominated a lot of games too. 

You will have optimists and pessimists and and the arrogant in all fans bases ( just look at Newcastle fans) 

There is a long way to go. I'm still not convinced we have clicked as a team and to have 39 points without 'clicking' is incredible. We will have more than one bad run no doubt about it. If we don't we would even up with 120+ points which was and will never happen in this league. 

The league will open up even more Feb onwards as teams will actually need points for their own gain rather than currently seeing us as bit of a free hit. 

Edited by goose2010

2 minutes ago, guest123 said:

we better start panicing then. enzo out :rolleyes:

Who’s actually saying this?

This is a typical ‘I’m a better fan because I think everything is perfect and rosy’ kind of post. The type of post which just shouts down anybody who dares present any alternative view to your own.

• Thanks 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

And Blackburn, plus we dominated a lot of games too. 

You will have optimists and pessimists and and the arrogant in all fans bases ( just look at Newcastle fans) 

There is a long way to go. I'm still not convinced we have clicked as a team and to have 39 points without 'clicking' is incredible. We will have more than one bad run no doubt about it. If we don't we would even up with 120+ points which was and will never happen in this league. 

The league will open up even more Feb onwards as teams will actually need points for their own gain rather than currently seeing us as bit of a free hit. 

Scored two in the last ten minutes against Blackburn which flattered us big time imo.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

The work is done in the first 80 to kill a team into submission in the last 10.

It's not a sustainable way to win games, as we're proving. Need to find another way of winning than just grinding teams down.

1 minute ago, LCFCJohn said:

Who’s actually saying this?

This is a typical ‘I’m a better fan because I think everything is perfect and rosy’ kind of post. The type of post which just shouts down anybody who dares present any alternative view to your own.

if you read any of my posts on here you'll see i certainly don't go in for the better fan nonsense, but we're never going to win every game, no one is, i'm just not going to look at my half full glass and think it's nearly empty which many people on here love to do

We have been a largely unconvincing runaway leader let's be honest. Points have perhaps papered over the problems. Some will disagree but very few times this season have we looked convincing for the win.

So perhaps we are seeing some natural balancing shift and the reality we are one of 3-5 decent teams at this level.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

It's not a sustainable way to win games, as we're proving. Need to find another way of winning than just grinding teams down.

Fair enough I respect your opinion but think you might be a bit annoyed then as there is no chance Enzo will change anything. 

5 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

We have been a largely unconvincing runaway leader let's be honest. Points have perhaps papered over the problems. Some will disagree but very few times this season have we looked convincing for the win.

So perhaps we are seeing some natural balancing shift and the reality we are one of 3-5 decent teams at this level.

Only in our fans eyes it seems. Every manager we have beat has said they we are the best team in the league and rightly so at the top of the league.