Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Watford (H) 25 Nov - Post-Match Thread

2 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Ive never been on a fishing trip

No the captain told me you was always complaining and looking for the negatives,

so they made you walk the plank,from the Pier,before they set sail..:P

how’s it going..are you still travelling a lot,for work or has it slowed down somewhat

used to like to read of some of your outings…webbed into your posts…

7 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

If you seriously enjoy watching this week in week out then fantastic 👏

80% of what you witness is passing sideways and backwards around the likes of a sub standard Watford. It's borderline a training session feeling most weeks. 

As I day, maybe the groan amongst supporters and concourse doesn't carry to where you sit, or may be you watch the score appear on Sky, who knows. But this ain't pretty to watch by any stretch. 

I think the system isn't the issue. Its one player short. 

Think about it this way, in midfield who was the creative spark? Who was spraying the passes to unlock a Watford side that looked poor today and was expecting more (sorry @Super_horns, also your keeper looked suspect all game and not comfortable - was it an off day?) who were happy for us to pass it around. We relied on Vesty and Mads, which is not ideal. Hamza isn't creative and goes safe, KDH is a work horse in midfield  but won't pick out a pass and Ndidi isn't that type either.

Not one player in the middle was that type of player. Yes, it was slow today, but without that creative flair, someone who can change direction of the pass open up the space with pass and movement it will look like what we saw today. After half time, it was better.

Simply put, we missed Winks and are short on a few players for the system to work fully. 2 transfer windows will address it, hopefully. Remember, these players aren't really designed to play this way on the whole and what he Enzo has done in a short period of time with them is quite impressive. From a team that conceded far too many to a solid defence, not conceding corners, actually have a plan etc. He's turned a team that was built for counter and direct to a passing, controlling team. 

Was it vintage today, no. Was it important to get a win...yes and we did. We move on. 

4 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Ok, so I was that angered by what happened last season that I genuinely haven’t watched one second of our matches this season. I’ve not seen any of our games live. I’ve not seen a single second of ANY highlights (other than our goals on Twitter) 

Up until yesterday- 

I tell you now, that style of football is horrendous. 

Yesterday was no better at all than Rodgers’ shite 

If I was to get a ban for 10 years, I wouldn’t miss one second of that. 

Leicester Supporter number 1! Through the good times and the bad and all that. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Leicester Supporter number 1! Through the good times and the bad and all that. 

Nah, just lost pretty much all love for football, and it happened under Rodgers way before we got relegated too. 

Was out with the lads for one of their birthdays today. We always do the game this time of year. Thought I’d come with them to try and lure some of the love back.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch

And I will not miss a single second of that sort of football either.

I can’t believe the lads call golf boring, then go that weekly 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

7 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

It is if you don't manage to kick the ball at your feet.

Something that doesn't exist can't be superior to something that does exist.

The free kick was not far off target and the keeper was never getting to it, the watford chance was a great ball into the box and nothing more.

A header that is saved on the goal line is a better chance than a shot that wasn't taken that still had to get past a defender and a goalie, had it actually been taken...which it was not.

At bottom, in the first half, we had 11 shots and forced 3 saves, watford had four shots, none of which hit the target - if you feel that merits a claim of having had the better chance of scoring, then :nigel:

You're being deliberately obtuse at this point. The guy swings and trips over the ball but it's a chance created where they didn't get a proper shot off because of a doggo striker rather than because of any defending. Fact remains it was a tap-in and was the best opening either side created, far better chance for a goal than a free kick from range because "at least the free kick managed a proper shot", very much backed up by the xG: https://fbref.com/en/matches/6da77c36/Leicester-City-Watford-November-25-2023-Championship (shots, half way down the page. 0.18 for Rajovic tripping over the ball, higher than any other chance first half and only Wouts run got above 0.1 for us)

7 hours ago, The_77 said:

We completely dominated them in the first half and probably should have been up at least 2-0 by HT. 

We had a lot of the ball, can you remember a chance that wasn't a completely routine save for the keeper (tame header down, low shot from 30 yards). Like everyone has to admit, regardless of whether they like this style or not, that the first half did not have the tempo to make anything of the possession and the second half was far better.

• Like 3

A 2-0 win against a combative but limited Watford, with Winks out. With the exception of Iheanacho I thought the rest of the team were decent. Lead at the top stretched with another game out of the way with no injuries incurred. Defence again looking very parsimonious and Enzo was able to tinker with the team to address Winks’ absence. Yet again we’ve shown that  we have the patience and engine to outlast most of the competition - our ability to bring on quality subs when the opposition are tiring is proving to be a key part of our success. 

Vestergaard was superb yesterday. Like really, really good. KDH put in a right shift alongside Ricardo.

Personally, I really struggled with us first half. Playing at snails place, no zip, very rigid to system.

Sometimes it takes an ‘incident’ to start upping the tempo and effort rather than it be on it for the start  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Nah, just lost pretty much all love for football, and it happened under Rodgers way before we got relegated too. 

Was out with the lads for one of their birthdays today. We always do the game this time of year. Thought I’d come with them to try and lure some of the love back.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch

And I will not miss a single second of that sort of football either.

I can’t believe the lads call golf boring, then go that weekly 

So dramatic 😂 

Wasn't the best game, granted. But when it’s been good this season, it’s been really good. But I guess you wouldn’t know because you’ve been too busy telling everyone that you’re better than LCFC these days instead of watching the football.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisFilter said:

So dramatic 😂 

Wasn't the best game, granted. But when it’s been good this season, it’s been really good. But I guess you wouldn’t know because you’ve been too busy telling everyone that you’re better than LCFC these days instead of watching the football.  

Correct. I’ve grown up and have better things to do with my time 💯 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisFilter said:

Fair enough. But spare us the whinging then?

Enjoy the opera/birdwatching/medieval battle reenactment/dogging. 

It was one comment/observation on a football forum in a thread about the game that I’ve just watched. I’m perfectly entitled to have my say thank you. 

I happen to think my views on football are pretty accurate, even if you don’t agree with them

As I said in another thread. Is the football effective? Pretty much.

Will we win the league? Easily

Was watching that yesterday enjoyable? Absolutely not 

I shall stick to trying to get my handicap down, definitely 

I thought the difference between winning and drawing yesterday was that Vardy was a damn sight hungrier than Iheanacho and Fatawu is a much more talented and threatening footballer than McAteer.

Maresca deserves credit for making those changes even before the statutory 60-minute mark - though, on the flip side, hooking off (an admittedly exhausted) KDH completely messed up the balance in midfield, allowing Watford to set up camp in our half almost at the end.

There appears to be a bit of a war going on on here between those who appreciate our current possession-based style of play and those who find it dull. I get both arguments… but even if our football often lacks energy and excitement (as it did for almost all of the first half yesterday), as long as we are ultimately winning matches and remain on course for automatic promotion, that clearly is all that matters.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

It was one comment/observation on a football forum in a thread about the game that I’ve just watched. I’m perfectly entitled to have my say thank you. 

I happen to think my views on football are pretty accurate, even if you don’t agree with them

As I said in another thread. Is the football effective? Pretty much.

Will we win the league? Easily

Was watching that yesterday enjoyable? Absolutely not 

I shall stick to trying to get my handicap down, definitely 

I don’t entirely disagree. I was more laughing at the funny superiority complex on display. 

“My god, the poor wretches simply don’t know what they’re watching. The fools!”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_favourite said:

Think about it this way, in midfield who was the creative spark? Who was spraying the passes to unlock a Watford side that looked poor today and was expecting more (sorry @Super_horns, also your keeper looked suspect all game and not comfortable - was it an off day?) who were happy for us to pass it around. We relied on Vesty and Mads, which is not ideal. Hamza isn't creative and goes safe, KDH is a work horse in midfield  but won't pick out a pass and Ndidi isn't that type either.

Not one player in the middle was that type of player. Yes, it was slow today, but without that creative flair, someone who can change direction of the pass open up the space with pass and movement it will look like what we saw today. After half time, it was better.

Simply put, we missed Winks and are short on a few players for the system to work fully. 2 transfer windows will address it, hopefully. Remember, these players aren't really designed to play this way on the whole and what he Enzo has done in a short period of time with them is quite impressive. From a team that conceded far too many to a solid defence, not conceding corners, actually have a plan etc. He's turned a team that was built for counter and direct to a passing, controlling team. 

Was it vintage today, no. Was it important to get a win...yes and we did. We move on. 

Spot on. 

1 hour ago, fox_favourite said:

I’m hoping this is a target in January, if we’d got McAtee this maybe would have helped the creativity, hopefully someone is lined up. 

we aren’t getting anyone of his quality but Maddison would of thrived in one of the 8s in this system with that extra bit of individual quality he has. 

Just now, ChrisFilter said:

I don’t entirely disagree. I was more laughing at the funny superiority complex on display. 

Well a lot on here fooled themselves for 2 years of Rodgers ball, and I’ve found the Maresca stuff no more entertaining 

You might think that reading this forum, seeing us top of the table that I was missing out on a weekly basis.

I’m just relieved to find that I’m definitely not missing out.

That’s all

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Correct. I’ve grown up and have better things to do with my time 💯 

I hope you know that this is said with total kindness, but haven't you referred to me as High Horse Fox? I am clearly influencing you :) 

Seriously, I might not agree with you entirely, but boredom at football at large I can well understand and I can see how the current style would turn many off, results notwithstanding.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisFilter said:

I disagree with his opinion on the football and also find the underlying condescension more than a tad bit off putting. But, as he’s duly lectured us, everyone’s entitled to an opinion and an attitude.

Go Foxes! 

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Ok, so I was that angered by what happened last season that I genuinely haven’t watched one second of our matches this season. I’ve not seen any of our games live. I’ve not seen a single second of ANY highlights (other than our goals on Twitter) 

Up until yesterday- 

I tell you now, that style of football is horrendous. 

Yesterday was no better at all than Rodgers’ shite 

If I was to get a ban for 10 years, I wouldn’t miss one second of that. 

I’m expecting lots of laughter and possibly a bit of sarcasm or abuse. However, just remember, I had all that on here over 2 years ago when I called out Rodgers’ football becoming very very naff too. 

The football is not to my taste, it’s slow and therefore boring a lot of the time. I’ve been to about 12 games this season and one thing I’ve started to enjoy is watching individuals pass, yesterday Vestegaard but normally Winks. Another thing is that Maresca seems to be managing us off the pitch better than Rodgers and his seemingly lack of ego, except for his nonsense regarding anyone questioning his style of play is refreshing. Nonetheless, there’s a lot of snobbery towards anyone who questions Maresca’s football, however I think conversations are valid.

Macateer is okay but clear to see he’s a back up, he looked out of place. Having Ndidi back was clearly the difference for us. At home I have said this before but the opposition will play 10 behind the ball most games, they won’t do a Leeds and press us man for man. So harder to break down, we do lack that creativity in midfield I feel, so if we can get a playmaker it would probably be the difference for us in terms of scoring more goals I feel.