Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Watford (H) 25 Nov - Post-Match Thread

2 hours ago, The_77 said:

As some claim or as you’re claiming? 😜

We’re top of the division and 10 points clear of the playoff spots after only 17 games and still on pace to surpass the Championship’s points record.

We have the best goal difference in the division, by far, and have only conceded 4 goals at home.

And we’re still doing all of that with a few square pegs in round holes.

I do think your ask is unfair at this point. We’re the best side in our division but we’re not the Harlem Globetrotters.  

Did any of us really expect to start the season any better with an unproven manager, a squad that ended last season in total shambles, and a total revamp of our tactics and culture?

Our only task is to get promoted on our first attempt, not to cover the spread in every home game. 

There's plenty on here and on social media claiming we're far too good, best the division has ever seen, HMS Piss the League etc. I'm not one of them at all. We are good, I'm very impressed with how Maresca has got them understanding his ideology quickly as it could easily have continued in a downward spiral from last year. 

It would be a huge under achievement had we struggled this season, the embarrassment of riches we have in this squad is jaw dropping in certain areas but its been a very very strong start. 

I think we should score more goals though. Yesterday was much improved in the number of chances we created, I'd hold that in higher regard than games where we may have scored more but from a small number of shots. If we get in the habit of creating a high amount of chances, then we'll do what I think we ought to be doing.

We may well be the best team defensively this league has seen in many a year. That is appreciated and if that's Maresca's forte and goals scored less so (peak Mourinho was a master at this) then so be it, but I think we can achieve a high output of goals without sacrificing too much defensively. 

Fulham for example 2 years ago at the same stage of the season had scored 3 or more goals on 9 occasions, to our 4. We have a far stronger squad than they did IMO, but they had a better striker in Mitrovic. We have a better defence for sure and I'd say better wingers and midfielders.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Everything considered (last season shambles, last years defence, relegation, the shambolic preseason, losing our 2 main goal contributors in Madders and Barnes) measuring us on how many times we've scored 3 goals at home is some humongous goal post moving. 

But saying that, i am still expecting us to rip a few teams apart at some point. One of these days 3 or 4 of those good chances will find their way in and we will find ourselves 5-0 up. But i'm not upset it hasn't happened yet.

Why's it goal post moving? It's natural to be stronger at home, certainly when you're one of, if not the best team in the division. Regardless of whether I'm being harsh, there's been 2 of the 9 games we've not scored at all and 2 others we only scored once.

Our home tactics to break down teams is a work in progress and I can understand its not all on us, opposition clearly look to frustrate us even more at our place.

4 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

But the flip side of that is that the faster we pass the higher the propensity to misplace a pass - and we know we don't have the defenders to risk getting caught on the counter.

It's a balancing act between control/losing control - and given our results, it's clear that 14 out of 17 times we've got it right, and even in those losses, especially hull, it was really down to finishing rather than game management that cost us.

Yep. You make valid points my friend.

I'd just like to hope that as highly paid professional footballers that they could adjust to a slight injection of pace. 

I'm not suggesting reckless abandonment for the sake of speed, just a tad quicker and bit more zest to the passing. In all fairness at times we've seen Vestagaard ambel out of defence and virtually stop ( no this isn't a personal criticism of him just an example) so its hopefully possible, certainly in the championship.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

No the captain told me you was always complaining and looking for the negatives,

so they made you walk the plank,from the Pier,before they set sail..:P

how’s it going..are you still travelling a lot,for work or has it slowed down somewhat

used to like to read of some of your outings…webbed into your posts…

I missed you too.  Ive been on world wind for the last 3 years, I was working in Memphis US, them moved to Bahrain and covered all the middle east and then we had alot of family tragedy, family bust ups etc and Had to come back, so at the mo, my life is in turmoil but we live in 'chardi kala', in high spirits and no matter what I enjoy as much of life as possible.

I read your not feeling great, I hope your doing well my friend.

22 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

No the captain told me you was always complaining and looking for the negatives,

so they made you walk the plank,from the Pier,before they set sail..:P

how’s it going..are you still travelling a lot,for work or has it slowed down somewhat

used to like to read of some of your outings…webbed into your posts…

I missed you too.  Ive been on world wind for the last 3 years, I was working in Memphis US, them moved to Bahrain and covered all the middle east and then we had alot of family tragedy, family bust ups etc and Had to come back, so at the mo, my life is in turmoil but we live in 'chardi kala', in high spirits and no matter what I enjoy as much of life as possible.

13 hours ago, Guppys Love Child said:

Yep. You make valid points my friend.

I'd just like to hope that as highly paid professional footballers that they could adjust to a slight injection of pace. 

I'm not suggesting reckless abandonment for the sake of speed, just a tad quicker and bit more zest to the passing. In all fairness at times we've seen Vestagaard ambel out of defence and virtually stop ( no this isn't a personal criticism of him just an example) so its hopefully possible, certainly in the championship.

I think there are moments we do play at a higher tempo, and not just when we go on our 'mad half hours' looking for a last minute winner.  But these moments don't stand out, they're more subtle because they aren't necessarily rampaging counter attacks.  I think some of the problem right now is that the intention is to go:

1. slow patient start, standing on the ball if necessary, waiting for...

2. sudden burst of play when the gaps open up to advence to the final third to create

3. attack on the goal.

unfortunately, too often three turns into:

3. pass back to the defenders (looking at you JJ), or

3. fail to break through a deep set defence and end up making a bad decision/taking a poor shot.

But i'd like to think that the reason for this is either a. not being fully up to speed with the system and team mates, b. a lack of confidence in the final third, or c. not having the right players to convert the chances.

On 26/11/2023 at 13:15, Lillehamring said:

The difference is, Enzo still hasn't reached a point where all it needs is tweaks, as Pep is.  We're still trying to apply the fundamentals, once he feels were up to speed, then well probably see more tweaks.

Are we still trying to apply the fundamentals? Bar the first few games the level of performance has been pretty consistent all season. I genuinely believe this current group are playing this style of football about as well as they can. They have in effect 'clicked', there's not gonna be some massive improvement where we start annihilating teams. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Hard times mixed with everyday great moments and dips.. I CAN PINCH & feel, so sill a few chantras worth singing about.. 

Missed you has a partner in crime.. 

I had some good selfish times in Bahrain... The were good hosts.. 

Now.. post retirement.. & many years past.. 

Ft is a welcome companion.. despite the crazies, even worse than me.. :giggle:

Edited by fuchsntf

I feel like we are a clinical striker away from being  a complete  team. Vardy can’t start every game neither can he complete them. Nacho, for whatever reason, looks like he would rather put his elbow through a cheese grater than play for us.. you’d assume Canon would have played. More games if he was ready to be our lead striker…   

• Like 1

On 26/11/2023 at 06:07, The Year Of The Fox said:

Ok, so I was that angered by what happened last season that I genuinely haven’t watched one second of our matches this season. I’ve not seen any of our games live. I’ve not seen a single second of ANY highlights (other than our goals on Twitter) 

Up until yesterday- 

I tell you now, that style of football is horrendous. 

Yesterday was no better at all than Rodgers’ shite 

If I was to get a ban for 10 years, I wouldn’t miss one second of that. 

I’m expecting lots of laughter and possibly a bit of sarcasm or abuse. However, just remember, I had all that on here over 2 years ago when I called out Rodgers’ football becoming very very naff too. 

👀

IMG_2799.png

Edited by The Year Of The Fox