Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Watford (H) 25 Nov - Post-Match Thread

57 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Not true - our chance from the quickly taken free kick was closer than the airshot, arguably kdh's freekick with the keeper rooted to the spot was better -  but the best chance by a mile was mcateer's header.

A free kick from 25/30 yards is not a better chance than the ball being laid right to your feet on the six yard box, come off it. Similarly, a contested header is not an easier chance than a pass directly to feet 6 yards out with the nearest defender still 2 yards away 

• Like 1

- 3 points

- Vardy with 2

- teams below us all dropped points

- clean sheet

Perfect day, but the first half was pretty dire. Watford are one of the worst sides we've played this season, offered absolutely nothing. Was there only shot on target that attempted cross from Andrews? Absolute dross! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I can't say i'm sitting on the edge of my seat for 90 minutes, but there's a certain serenity about our comfort on the ball that i find wonderfully pleasing, a real joy in knowing that no matter how sluggish we may seem, we'll still run teams ragged and get 3 points.  As i said, today we averaged a shot every fourth minute - my frustration is not because of the pace we play at or the alleged lack of chances we create, but our inadequacy in the final third.

FWIW i watch it online, so the groans are clear to hear - but if they are coming from the sort of person who considers today's performance as that of a team that struggled to win then i couldn't give a monkey's about their/your dissatisfaction.

If you can't see the function of the lulls and inertia then surely you can appreciate the movement and the way that we are managing to create so many opportunities against teams that have parked the bus.

None of us want to be playing against these awful teams, but we are and we've found a way to beat them with an unprecedented regularity - if that is what it takes to get out of here then give me excess of vestergaard standing 

Watching online, the joys of having the off switch.

A shot every fourth minute? Have no idea why such frustration in the stadium today. Let me guess, at 19 minutes I looked up and saw we had 77% possession yet the keeper hadn't been tested. 

But still, so much possession of the ball, shots every 4 minutes. The championship Man City? Mind blowing stuff. 

Just now, The Doctor said:

A free kick from 25/30 yards is not a better chance than the ball being laid right to your feet on the six yard box, come off it. Similarly, a contested header is not an easier chance than a pass directly to feet 6 yards out with the nearest defender still 2 yards away 

It is if you don't manage to kick the ball at your feet.

Something that doesn't exist can't be superior to something that does exist.

The free kick was not far off target and the keeper was never getting to it, the watford chance was a great ball into the box and nothing more.

A header that is saved on the goal line is a better chance than a shot that wasn't taken that still had to get past a defender and a goalie, had it actually been taken...which it was not.

At bottom, in the first half, we had 11 shots and forced 3 saves, watford had four shots, none of which hit the target - if you feel that merits a claim of having had the better chance of scoring, then :nigel:

3 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

- 3 points

- Vardy with 2

- teams below us all dropped points

- clean sheet

Perfect day, but the first half was pretty dire. Watford are one of the worst sides we've played this season, offered absolutely nothing. Was there only shot on target that attempted cross from Andrews? Absolute dross! 

No, it was Porteus' screamer towards the end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Watching online, the joys of having the off switch.

A shot every fourth minute? Have no idea why such frustration in the stadium today. Let me guess, at 19 minutes I looked up and saw we had 77% possession yet the keeper hadn't been tested. 

But still, so much possession of the ball, shots every 4 minutes. The championship Man City? Mind blowing stuff. 

Ah, the old 'but-i-go-to-the-game' snubbing of all non-attendees opinions.  I'd love to be there week in, week out - but the round trip would kill me and yet, funnily enough, i have absolutely no interest in reaching for the off switch, unlike the 100s who leave games early....

Yes, 90 divided by 23 is 3.9, so on average that's a shot every four minutes:  but, of course, 23 shots in 90 minutes must bore you to death, maybe you're not looking in the right direction, maybe the game moved too fast for you?

And the reason that there is frustration in the stadium is that half the people in there are people like you who can't seem to appreciate the nuances and tactical nous that has brought us fourteen (soporific, apparently) wins out of 17.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Ah the cross that looked like it was going in, must not have gone down as a shot on target 

I think he hit the cross from the goal line so technically it was going away from the goal. even though it forced a save from hermansen.

29 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I think he hit the cross from the goal line so technically it was going away from the goal. even though it forced a save from hermansen.

He was about 4 yards from the goal line. It was a decent save from Mads, it could certainly have caught him out.

it wasn’t a great chance though, just a miss hit cross that may have caught the keeper off guard 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

He was about 4 yards from the goal line. It was a decent save from Mads, it could certainly have caught him out.

it wasn’t a great chance though, just a miss hit cross that may have caught the keeper off guard 

fair enough, i remember it being tighter than that - it wasn't classed as a shot on target, so it must have been going wide when mads caught it?

Just now, Lillehamring said:

fair enough, i remember it being tighter than that - it wasn't classed as a shot on target, so it must have been going wide when mads caught it?

I personally think it was going in and the stats people just missed it. I could be wrong but was watching on TV and had several replays

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

That's just fantasy - it's so far from being a goal it's almost not worth mentioning - he didn't get any contact on it, let alone good contact and he still has to get it past faes and mads.

Even if he did connect, and it was a decent shot and it gets past faes and mads isn't able to make a save and they score - i genuinely don't believe it would have made the slightest bit of difference, other than give us a kick up the arse - we'd have played the same way, created the same amount of chances and in all probability have scored the same goals.

Maybe so, that’s my view on it but if you disagree you are entitled to your opinion. If we’d have missed that, I’d have thought we’d missed a great chance to test the keeper minimum. Maybe it wouldn’t have made a difference, we’ll never know. They didn’t do anything other than that in the game to be fair.

10 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Good performance and a crucial win.

Referee was excellent. 

Think we’re being overly harsh on Kelechi. I actually thought he played fairy well.

Chuffed for Vardy after a couple of horror show misses. You could see how desperate he was afterwards. 

Did anyone see a replay of his chance in the first half when he had a step on the defender? It certainly looked like he was pulled back but I haven’t seen a replay. 

1 hour ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Of course the opposition never have great chances either do they... 🤔

Read a bit more into what I say….It becomes too much & regular statement…

football is about those that take their chances..

so 17 games gone..presently we are top..we are  top of taking more of our chances.

No if,but,could haves..:dunno:

First half was meh.

Second half we were better, faster movement and faster passing.  You seen some good triangles.

It could be the opposition tired but they were second best.

I dont like Merasca ball but I enjoy winning so aslong as we win, im happy.

This bullshit of the comparison with Man City, is tosh, I watched them today they were awesome and every pass mattered with venum, with us we seem to want to set traps, without purpose, hence fans get frustrated.

And this bullshit about 'we cant expect to steam roller teams', true but atleast our players who are professionals apply themselves as such.

1 hour ago, jbflcfc said:

I genuinely think some people on here are angry we won because they haven’t got anything to moan about.

Then they go out on big fishing trips & see what they can trawl up,each week…

Its the nature of the beast on Social Media,and rides inside their own codpieces..

A wandering lost soul.looking to say something…They get more of a rise,to see

who takes the bait,and loves cliches for that baited hook..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbflcfc said:

I genuinely think some people on here are angry we won because they haven’t got anything to moan about.

It sad u think like that but i believe we all want the best for the team but our perspectives are different.  I for eg focus on negatives,.so we can discuss how we can improve, does that mean i want us to lose, but want us to improve.

8 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Then they go out on big fishing trips & see what they can trawl up,each week…

Its the nature of the beast on Social Media,and rides inside their own codpieces..

A wandering lost soul.looking to say something…They get more of a rise,to see

who takes the bait,and loves cliches for that baited hook..

Ive never been on a fishing trip

Look the last few weeks have not been fun for any of us to endure watching at the game or online. 1st half today yes felt like we were still going through the motions but damn when we stepped it up a few gears we were different gravy. 

mavididi has been getting a lot of bollocking on here and rightly so but he ran his defenders ragged today. Some of those dribbles were insane. He outshone fatawu for once.

vardy became a man possessed after he fluffed 2 golden sitters and you could just sense he wasn’t gone give up until he scored. I’m glad we finished the way we did as that confidence will bleed into the next game. Let’s go foxes!

plus our nearest challengers all bottled today ha! Justice