Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Wednesday post match

14 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Plan B should be effective (or why is it a plan) but not sustainable for 90 minutes (or why would it not be plan A). Big man up top and hoof it is an archaic style which is not particularly effective and has long since been abandoned by the vast majority of managers

If that’s so as you say, why do teams hoof it in to the big men when taking corners?

I genuinely don’t understand this train of thought whereby if Man City don’t do it then nobody else can either. 

A 6 foot 4 tall player in the box waiting for a cross to come in is still the same threat that a 6 foot 4 player from the 90s carried. Or Howard, or Slimani (🤔) or Ulloa, or peak Vardy

Even if you are of the belief that ‘the games changed’ and ‘nobody plays that way anymore’ then surely that’s all the more reason to try it? Opposition won’t be expecting it?

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 4

Turned off after half time, started slow yet again and looked off the pace.

Don't mind Enzo's tactics but the passing and movement of the ball has to be quicker if we're going move opposition of position earlier to create the opportunities.

At times it looks like the players looked too confident with the mindset of a walkover but the first 15 mins pit paid to that.

Gotta be better against West Brom or we'll lose no doubt.

10 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

If that’s so as you say, why do teams hoof it in to the big men when taking corners?

I genuinely don’t understand this train of thought whereby if Man City don’t do it then nobody else can either. 

A 6 foot 4 tall player in the box waiting for a cross to come in is still the same threat that a 6 foot 4 player from the 90s carried. Or Howard, or Slimani (🤔) or Ulloa, or peak Vardy

Even if you are of the belief that ‘the games changed’ and ‘nobody plays that way anymore’ then surely that’s all the more reason to try it? Opposition won’t be expecting it?

Think Corners prove his point. It’s something like 1 in 23 leading to an actual chance. Then 1 in 45 to a goal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Think Corners prove his point. It’s something like 1 in 23 leading to an actual chance. Then 1 in 45 to a goal. 

Ok, but if you’ve played a passing game all game and haven’t particularly done anything other than win a few corners, what you (I) DON’T want to see is a short corner whereby we carry on passing it around in the same ineffective manner we have all game 

It sounds ridiculous but at times the ball really does just need putting in the mixer 

16 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

They don't. Point 3 on this article covers exactly that: https://theathletic.com/4997349/2023/11/03/tactics-teams-dont-use-anymore/

Short corners are rising year on year, for the simple reason that corners are vanishingly unlikely to end in goals (around 3.5% see a goal from them)

14 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Ok, but if you’ve played a passing game all game and haven’t particularly done anything other than win a few corners, what you (I) DON’T want to see is a short corner whereby we carry on passing it around in the same ineffective manner we have all game 

It sounds ridiculous but at times the ball really does just need putting in the mixer 

Officials are more protective of keepers these days and sweeper keepers after often more proactive

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

We played quick set pieces pretty effectively against Watford. The vast majority of our corners are taken long, but everyone mixes it up.

8 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

And dont forget, I think we conceded a vast majority of those in the previous couple of seasons.

lol makes my point though, plan B should be the strategy you go to when things aren't working and so should be one with a good %age return from it (last throw of the dice, get a couple of good quality chances). **** it at the big man has such an abysmal return unless the opposition isn't familiar with the concept of defending that it's basically pointless

34 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

...I  think our stats are worse than that, a corner for us doesn't tend to bear much fruit!!!

Manchester City have Haaland upfront 6'4" pretty much a lamp-post good in the air with ground skills as well. It is a move from Aguero and a tweak to their approach to the game.

What @The Year Of The Fox is asking for is just to mix things up a bit, last 10 minutes do something different,  contrary to what you have been doing all game. He is not asking for it to be how we choose to approach games, just adjustment in our approach where we need to unsettle a sitting defence and the defenders have set up shop because they already know what we will be doing.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

20 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  think our stats are wose than that, a corner for us doesn't tend to bear much fruit!!!

Manchester City have Haaland upfront 6'4" pretty much a lamp-post good in the air with ground skills as well. It is a move from Aguero and a tweak to their approach to the game.

What @Fear Of The Fox is asking for is just to mix things up a bit, last 10 minutes do something different,  contrary to what you have been doing all game. He is not asking for it to be how be choose to approach games, just adjustment in our approach where we need to unsettle a sitting defence and the defenders have setup shop,  because they already know what we will be doing.

I think you meant me, but yes, exactly 

Notts Co managers logic is fine, based on the assumption that when they have the ball they actually do something useful with it

We do not. Not really. Not as much as we should for saying we ‘dominate’ games

43 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I think you meant me, but yes, exactly 

Notts Co managers logic is fine, based on the assumption that when they have the ball they actually do something useful with it

We do not. Not really. Not as much as we should for saying we ‘dominate’ games

...yeah sorry it was you!!!

What people can see is that we need to change things up sometimes. What that would look like they probably have no idea, but we just cannot continue to do what we are doing and have no plan to surprise the opposition now and again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

...I think right at the end where they went against the grain and scored proves doing the same thing over and over makes you predictable!!!

Interesting to listen to him talk about the transition of thought that is now in the game, we see the change with the passing game in Europen leagues now becoming the norm.