Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Wednesday post match

Just now, sbfox said:

No one is actually saying what they want plan B to look like. Anyone? 

Moving the ball quicker would be a nice start.  We take so long to move the ball forward that by the time we pass the halfway line everyone is back behind the ball and we just go backwards and sidewards. 

Enzo has one way of playing, and doesn't deviate from that regardless of what is happening on the pitch.  We've seen this before and we know what it can result in.

Being patient in a game I understand, but if it doesn't work, mix it up, have another idea of how to break teams down. 

To me this stinks of last season but in a slightly different context.  We were apparently too good to go down, and it will all come good.

This season it's "we will go up" and we are too good not to.  If we don't change our style of play or at least have different options, we WILL be caught and overtaken. 

• Like 2

Guest Kopfkino

Results starting to match what the football deserves and sure enough people stop pretending it’s any good.

The process is sucking any life out of it. Maresca says it’s only 5 months, well I don’t want to see what 12 months will be on that baiss

Just now, sbfox said:

Which is done... How? 

When the chance is there to play forward and maybe play a slightly riskier pass to break the lines do it.

So many times we win the ball when the opposition isn’t in their defensive shape and we’re either to slow with or just go backwards and let them regroup. 

I think complacency is certainly setting in with the players.

It’s not the best idea that we only have one style of play, as when it’s not working like tonight, we have zero other ideas.

We’re coasting through games and luckily  our quality has been seeing us through to top spot so far.

It’s ok having possession but 85 percent of it is around the back and into winks and back again.

I can see why some of the attacking players get frustrated as they have made runs tonight and we pass sideways/backwards.

Some of the chances we are giving away we are going to take some hammerings once we go up as the quality is a million times better…..I’m actually shocked how poor this league is, I dont remember it being this bad.

Don’t let our league position cloud judgement we have a massive amount of work still to do on our general play if we’re to be competitive in the Premier League as Burnley are finding out 

Just now, Trev3939 said:

This will be a long journey back home to Essex. However, whilst this is awful this Enzo criticism is not good. It is a system that takes ages to implement. Look at how long it took arteta and pep. Be patient 

But we are not arsenal and man city

The worst thing for me in the last few games is the risk we take for very little reward. We'll happily play dangerous passes into a surrounded midfielder, only for them to knock it back to Hermansen and so on and so forth.

Nearly cost us in the early stages of this game and has happened in many others. 

Like, wtf are you doing?! 

• Like 2

Are we still in 2nd gear? What percentage are we up to now?

Watford 2nd half apart, we have been distinctly average for at least half a dozen games. Woeful tonight.

Sloppy play could and will cost us as the season goes on. We were lucky to get a point today against the worst team in the division.

It is so frustrating. We should be blowing away teams with the squad we have but the shackles of this type of football is stifling any kind of fast paced football. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

When the chance is there to play forward and maybe play a slightly riskier pass to break the lines do it.

So many times we win the ball when the opposition isn’t in their defensive shape and we’re either to slow with or just go backwards and let them regroup. 

When 99% of the game is played with a low block in front of you, a slightly riskier pass turns into a 'needs to be a worldly' every time. And we don't have the players for that. 

1 minute ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

Especially when we seemingly struggle defensively from basic football, I could understand it if it was from taking risks like we seemed to get exposed in certain games earlier in the season.

I'm telling you, that Sunderland game has done something to Enzo. He hated us going toe to toe at any point. 

1 minute ago, dannythefox said:

We need two strikers on at times why can’t he see it, hope this doesn’t go the Rodger’s way…. this is the way we play that’s it.

Exactly.. that's my only worry with maresca.. one formation.. square peg round hole at times

Yes, keep the system but if you've been probing for an hour and getting nowhere, do something else.

Just changing players rarely helps. Yes for 5 mins kdh and ndidi looked like they were going to change the game.. but after the energy burst wore off it was just more of the same.. shape needs to change .. make them change shape and find new spaces.

• Like 1

Truth is we got away with one. They should have been 3 up before we scored.

A truly awful performance, lacking any redeeming features.

Wednesday were absolute shite, but the draw was the least they deserved.

Shockingly bad, and the warning signs have been there for a while now, but we haven't heeded those warnings, and I suspect nothing will change.

Maresca has already said, we will live or die by his style of play, he ain't going to change.

One thing is for sure, if we do go up, it's going to take some top notch recruitment, and serious money, for us to stay up in the premier league, playing Enzo ball, because the current players, may or may not get away with it this season in the championship, but they're not good enough to play that way in the premier league.

Edited by smudger63
  • Like 1

Thoroughly deserved draw for Wednesday and probably should have been a win. They've just had to hold their shape and watch us mince with the ball for 70/80 minutes.  

They should have scored 3 or 4 to be honest.

Absolutely no tempo aside from the standard 10-15 mins in the second half where we look half-arsed about scoring.

Vardy getting humiliated by their defenders  while we have 2 strikers on the bench was odd as well.

I don't see how this system does anything but absolutely bomb when we're playing superior teams, unless we're planning to spend half a billion. We're making tough work of games against teams with vastly inferior resources. Very little going forwards and always feel like the opposition will get good chances (thankfully they rarely seem to take them which makes our goals against look more impressive than it probably should be). 

Will be interesting to see if we approach the game with more tempo against WBA cus if we play this like again they will punish us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yuki! said:

When we conceded we actually played with some urgency for 2 mins 

Precisely 

arrogant,  careless,  complacent whilst we were ahead when it was clear that Wednesday would be bound to push hard last ten mins only a goal down.  We needed to go harder for that second 

We had some openings but final pass was so poor every time 

1 minute ago, Spiritwalker said:

A good defensive shape, track runners, take care of the ball, play like you’re not just taken a handful of tranquillisers.

We've conceded 11 times all season. I think we're doing the defensive basics just fine.