Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ChrisWalken456

West Brom - Post match

1 minute ago, sbfox said:

Because managers clap all sorts of bollocks. Happens all the time. Most of it is for morale. These are top level footballers, I don't think you need a manager telling them exactly where to play it.

If that was the case we would be scoring far more easily than we are now, far more often than not we pass it backwards rather than look for the killer ball, although today we were more progressive. Doesn’t seem logical to clap a player making the wrong decision though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thought West Brom were very cautious, do they often play so deep?

Maresca's pre-game analysis, so basically, yes....but.

“I saw many games and they try to be aggressive when our goalkeeper has the ball in goal kicks or when we play back to our goalkeeper. But in open play, they drop in their half and they wait for the moment to press. They are not all over the pitch man to man or very aggressive. But in this moment, they are very intense and very good.”

• Like 1

My frustration with managers and Enzo is by no means the first, is their negative tactics when a team goes 1-0 up. 

Against Sheff Wed he brought Hamza on to hold the game. Today he brought Casadei on - although I suppose that Nacho was the one who started the break. 

A team 1-0 down in the closing minutes has to chase the game. The most effective way of defending is to play as far away from your own box as possible. Why not bring a fresh attacker or two on instead of inviting pressure? 

Though clearly I don’t know what I’m talking about as so many managers do it. Including our last three 

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

If that was the case we would be scoring far more easily than we are now, far more often than not we pass it backwards rather than look for the killer ball, although today we were more progressive. Doesn’t seem logical to clap a player making the wrong decision though.

Who said it was the wrong decision? 

29 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not great and somewhat a struggle again but we got the win.

What a winner, something from yesteryear! Wonderful! A thing of beauty, a really good goal!

The way we ground it out and manner of the win hopefully stops the rot and we can push on again.... :fc: 

...surprised the Baggies came at us this way, not a full press, just waited to press at the right time, deeper on the pitch!!!

A big opportunity missed by them it seems, as when they pressed us higher up the pitch our composure went out the window. With all the games that teams have come at us with and the success that they have had, WBA stuck to their preferred style and missed a big chance.

Nice 3 points, but I can't help feeling there is more pain to come.

Good result and far better than Wednesday night.

Still not having the style of play at all and some of the substitutions / lack of were strange.
No idea how Nacho lasted all game and there must be an agreement with Chelsea of how many appearances Casedi needs to make or he costs us more money.

• Haha 1

Just now, sbfox said:

Who said it was the wrong decision? 

Most managers in the world would say not taking advantage of an overload when your opposition our out of position is the wrong decision. Just because Enzo applauded it doesn’t make it right, according to commentators he was seemingly encouraging it on multiple occasions but obviously I can’t confirm this.

Im making my point based on what I’m seeing players actually doing on the pitch and the commentators spotting it also and then adding that Enzo seemed to be encouraging it. 

your argument against that is “nuh uh” And that’s fine we are all entitled to opinions but you’d be hard pressed to find someone on the forum that doesn’t think we often give good chances away to pass it backwards. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Most managers in the world would say not taking advantage of an overload when your opposition our out of position is the wrong decision. Just because Enzo applauded it doesn’t make it right, according to commentators he was seemingly encouraging it on multiple occasions but obviously I can’t confirm this.

Im making my point based on what I’m seeing players actually doing on the pitch and the commentators spotting it also and then adding that Enzo seemed to be encouraging it. 

your argument against that is “nuh uh” And that’s fine we are all entitled to opinions but you’d be hard pressed to find someone on the forum that doesn’t think we often give good chances away to pass it backwards. 

So the alternative is that he starts screaming at his players if they do something 'wrong'? Excellent man management there... 

10 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Maybe, but if that wasn’t the case why does he applaud passing the ball backwards when Fatawu has their right back out of position and Ndidi had bombed forward unmarked? 

Surely if he just wanted to score he would be jumping up and down gesturing him forward rather than applauding passing it back? 

After his comments about Fatawu he's probably praising him for being a bit more controlled

24 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

On paper I thought this kind of system would suit his playstyle, but it doesn't at all. 

Ndidi as an attacking 8 is a standout success and honestly a piece of managerial genius. Kelechi as a false 9... less so.

Throughout his time here, nacho has always been a bit streaky - both good and bad - the difference this year is that he doesn't seem to have a clue what's going on around him - has he always been like that, or is it new - i don't know.  But right now he offers too little to justify getting 90 minutes.

The slow mo of ndidi whipping in that cross was simply majestic!

• Like 2

I don't think we played 'counter attacking football' to score that winner. We didn't sit deep, soak up pressure and then hit them on the break. We defended a set piece, the ball broke luckily and their stupidity left them literally wide open. 

It doesn't really matter, but this shouldn't be fuel for the 'plan B' brigade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I think you discredit west brom - they played how enzo predicted and when they needed to they turned up the pressure, and they are a good team.  so i'm inclined to think it is more to do with them coming out of their shell, rather than us going into ours.

With all due credit to West Brom, we were well on top when we scored and frankly should’ve (cautiously) pushed on instead of seemingly settling. In fact, we were on top for virtually the entire second-half - until, ironically, after we scored. Bemusing really.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sbfox said:

I don't think we played 'counter attacking football' to score that winner. We didn't sit deep, soak up pressure and then hit them on the break. We defended a set piece, the ball broke luckily and their stupidity left them literally wide open. 

It doesn't really matter, but this shouldn't be fuel for the 'plan B' brigade. 

Looked like a clear counter type move to me with KDH and Winks sprinting forward to score the winner.

Hopefully they didnt get told off afterwards for getting forward and scoring too quickly. :)

Edited by Chrysalis

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not great and somewhat a struggle again but we got the win.

What a winner, something from yesteryear! Wonderful! A thing of beauty, a really good goal!

The way we ground it out and manner of the win hopefully stops the rot and we can push on again.... :fc: 

Loved it! Best of both worlds, winning the game but with the type of goal the know it alls on here sneer and turn their noses up at :whistle:

• Like 1