Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ChrisWalken456

West Brom - Post match

10 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Not today. No sign that West Brom were tired like some of the lesser teams. It was simply them pushing fir a winner and us punishing them with that lightning attack. 

I think they were a little bit tired ;)  KDH and Winks are hardly the fastest players in the league, they had five players near the ball at the start of that attack, three of them didn't manage to run more than 5 yards....

Great result and very much needed for confidence. 

I'm good mates with an Albion fan and it's following the sequence. 

We always win there and they , more often than not, get a result at our place.

Must be our best sequence of away results anywhere, in  recent times.

Any statos correct me on this?

• Like 1

Had to go for a long stroll after that to let the beautiful feeling ferment. Walking in a dream like state. My takeaways on that walk...

Vestergaard, Ndidi, KDH - and to a slightly lesser extent Faes and Winks - absolutely immense

Thought we started much much better,.much more aggressive for the opening 20 mins but ran out of steam a bit

The Casadei sub was absolutely mystifying. Suicidal. 

If there's one thing championship clubs can do well - and I think it is literally the only thing they do well -  is hurl it into the box late on and hope for a chaotic lucky bounce. Forest still feeding off that chaos theory. 

6 minutes ago, Weller Wing said:

Great result and very much needed for confidence. 

I'm good mates with an Albion fan and it's following the sequence. 

We always win there and they , more often than not, get a result at our place.

Must be our best sequence of away results anywhere, in  recent times.

Any statos correct me on this?

This is true. Away team usually has the ascendency in this fixture. There are some other quirks of fate like this such as Portsmouth - Charlton where the away team usually wins and then you get the ones where the home team always wins which was the case with us and Southampton for years (until the 9 nil lol)

51 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Throughout his time here, nacho has always been a bit streaky - both good and bad - the difference this year is that he doesn't seem to have a clue what's going on around him - has he always been like that, or is it new - i don't know.  But right now he offers too little to justify getting 90 minutes.

The slow mo of ndidi whipping in that cross was simply majestic!

...I have said that previously, I noticed it in the preseason v Northampton!!!

He does not know how to play or where he fits in this system. This setup should have made him comfortable, being asked to play a false 9, but he is all over the place. The Maddison position in a 4-2-3-1 would have been ideal, he naturally gravitates to the #10 position on the pitch. Playing him as a lone striker will not work, he needs players going ahead of him and because our build-up is so involved he comes to look for the ball far too deep to get a touch.

I do not think it is someone who does not care, out there on the pitch, he is just at a loss for what he needs to do.

10 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I think the mistake you're making with your comments is that, at least this is the impression you're giving, you don't see counter attacking as part of our normal game - which is completely untrue.  yes this was a very obvious counter but a huge part of our game is to be able to transition from defending to attack with quick progressive passing, or counter attacking.

Using this goal as a dig at the system we play is flawed, because this is exactly what the system is all about.

You’re probably right, and it’s a fair point.

Honestly, I don’t feel that we see enough of this when the chance presents (ok maybe it doesn’t always present as obviously as that today). Maybe you think differently and that’s fair enough.

We may not fully agree on your last bit being the case but we will agree it should be. There’s definitely a place for it so I think we are roughly on the same page.

FYI, I am not against the system or possession per se. I just think we need to be a bit less predictable. For what’s it’s worth, I thought KDH’s goal was an absolutely perfect example of the system and how both number 8’s should be used.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

You have to remember that pressing is physically demanding, nobody can do it for 90 minutes even the top teams, even Liverpool in their pomp probably did it for 45 out of 90 minutes.

...you do not have to press for 90 minutes!!!

You hold your position and wait to trigger the press when a certain situation arises. Then you rest, defend as we struggle to break them down, stay organised, and then go again when the time is right.

10 minutes ago, ForeverandEver said:

Kel’s role in this goal hugely underrated -

The weight & composure of the pass - simply brilliant 🤩 

Sadly sky dont like showing much more than a few secs of footage for each goal, hopefully he is shown in the extended highlights on LCFC youtube later.

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I bet even the most vivid imagination cant imagine what this is either :D lol

I would go for either the IBS has kicked in or a potential trip to A&E. Failing that, nailed some cheese in a can. @Ric Flair

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

I suspect if they pressed us high up the pitch all of the time, we would resort to punting it upfield more frequently. 

...that would have led to us turning over the ball a lot more!!!

Our need to play out at the back, even when the pass is not on, is a worry, rather the ball was in their half and we can then reset our defence.

16 minutes ago, ForeverandEver said:

Yes it was a good bit of play from him , but his overall contribution over the 90 minutes was piss poor.

We need to move him on , unless he changes his workrate or adapts to the system. 

Edited by Weller Wing
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...that would have led to us turning over the ball a lot more!!!

Our need to play out at the back, even when the pass is not on, is a worry, rather the ball was in their half and we can then reset our defence.

Mads is capable of more longer balls that find a team mate. It's hard to see from TV if he is missing these options or the movement just isn't there to play that pass. Justin was on for the one where they hit the post in the first half, it's a bit predictable where Mads will play most of the time.

44 minutes ago, sbfox said:

But what 'style' do you mean? 

Ok. Possibly should have said tactics as well. 

Just to be flexible a bit more or adopt a hybrid approach to our play. Enzo has said this is the way we play deal with it( no don't take this a verbatim but his said stuff along those lines) and be willing to suspend the passing style for a more.direct approach or an occasional hoof.  We've become predictable and easy to set up against, as 99% of the time we are going to play the same way. Let's keep the opposition guessing before and during matches if possible by switching things up and playing a different "style"

20 minutes ago, ForeverandEver said:

That's when he's at his best. He's a link man. I'd much rather see us sit Ndidi and Winks in a double pivot and Iheanacho and KDH play off Vardy/Daka/Cannon. But he'll never do it.

Didn't watch today so no comment on performance but it's a massive win. 

Seen the goals, West Brom must be fuming to allow that counter to happen. Phenomenal effort from Winks to get up and support, and tidy finish although a little close to the post for comfort. Fair play to KDH for passing too. 

Stats suggest a typical win for us under Enzo. However it came, just had to win.