Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ChrisWalken456

West Brom - Post match

51 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

The point is we weren't set up explicitly to play on the counter as a tactic which is what people who decry us as being tedious and negative want, it was a natural result of the stretched state of play

How can you when 95% of the league play a low block against you......

Counter attacking football is alway cause by the other team attacking and over committing players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sbfox said:

So the alternative is that he starts screaming at his players if they do something 'wrong'? Excellent man management there... 

This is a typical Foxestalk response, by me suggesting not applauding and seemingly encouraging recycling possession when we have a clear overload and loads of space behind the full-back, that obviously means I'm saying shout and scream at players and promote bad man management. 
Seriously? 

We've been doing this exact same thing in most games this season where we have a clear chance to attack and we break down our own attack by making the decision to pass it backward or second guess taking on a full back, I'm not saying we should full attack every situation, but so many occasions this season we have wasted transitions by slowing it down and killing the move off, it seems very clear to me that Enzo has a very similar approach to "choosing the right moment" as Puel did, Puel frequently frustrated fans by insisting that we endlessly recycle play until the perfect opportunity comes, and it rarely did. It seems obvious to me that the amount of "patience" we play with is being drilled into the team, I'm fine with having patience but amount we have is stifling so many opportunities. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

Then it must just come down to context - i didn't have the same commentary as you - but if it did happen as described, which i never discounted, then it must have been a. an isolated incident, or b. when we were simply trying to wear down the clock.

Without knowing exactly what the situation was it's hard to really understand why maresca might have applauded it - but given that it's his system, i'm sure he had his reasons - sometimes, the obvious explanation isn't always the correct one - he must have felt the action was the right one, who are we to dispute this.

Yeah, and I'm happy to concede that and I was not trying to say that it was concrete as all I could mention was what I saw and the LCFC commentary was just supplementary to my point and did seem to align with what I was seeing in that moment. 
It could be any reason obviously, but given we have been doing this in every game it seemed logical to me that he was applauding the recycling of possession but I could easily be wrong, it's impossible to prove or disprove so I'm just basing it on what I've seen so far, and to add some more balance to this, I noted in midweek there was a few moments where Enzo was jumping on the sideline screaming for them to get forward and transition, which I think is why I have taken the position I have since I've seen him screaming them forward before. This is something I saw with Puel too where he had a very possession-based system but often players ended up recycling for the sake of recycling and Puel was left visibly angry on the sidelines screaming them forward. 

On a side note, and not a criticism at all because I think your posts have been balanced for a long time and this season you've been quite critical but also understanding of Enzo and the style, it seems in the last couple of games you've warmed to it a bit more? I'm not saying you've moved position significantly, just noticed your posts seem to be arguing a bit more in favour than they you were before, has anything changed for you?

Edited by cityfanlee23

Obviously  it was a phenomenal  finish and amazing to be in the scenes at the bottom right of the stand.

Decent atmosphere  where we were BUT the finish papered over the cracks.

Again, it was lethargic, laborious,  frustrating and lacking any killer finish.

For two teams in the Top 6 it was an aweful game of football.

There were some Boos at half time so Enzo needs to watch himself as if this was a draw there would have been alot of unsavoury comments.

Lack of subs when some players were on the whole substandard is alarming.

Great finish, enjoyed the day bit still alot of work to do for Enzo.

• Like 2

Rarely seen an opposition team who were so outrageously open to a counter attack at such a critical time.

Yes it was proper exciting, especially for us! But despite what Carlos said post match,  I cannot imagine being quite so open was partially impressive.

2 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Interesting to hear Winks say we have carte blanche in final third to be creative and attacking. Doesn't seem like that at times watching it, but maybe we simply need the players themselves to seek to be more creative up front with confidence. 

...I always wondered why we do drills every session with breakouts such as  4 on 3 or a combination where the forwards outweigh the defence and are so poor in the last third!!!

We butcher so many chances on breakaways, this explains why it happens.

What we need is drills on breakout play, selecting the right pass in the last third, and having players in a certain position even if he is a decoy, but an option going forward. I would have believed that this would be part of the training program as a basic requirement, we need to put something in place where the players would have done the drills so much that it is second nature to them.

No more wrong choices in the final third, we would have won games a lot more comfortably if we knew what we were doing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

How can you be a counter attacking team when every team we play sticks 11 behind the ball.

Nothing to do with the players or manager, look at the goal today, Southampton away 4th goal, Norwich away 2 goal.

Team over committed and we countered.

You need the other team to come onto you to be a counter attacking team.

Not rocket science.

We should be counter pressing more, forcing the opposition into mistakes. We did it for a spell of 10 mins or so in the 2nd half

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I always wondered why we do drills every session with breakouts such as  4 on 3 or a combination where the forwards outweigh the defence and are so poor in the last third!!!

We butcher so many chances on breakaways, this explains why it happens.

What we need is drills on breakout play, selecting the right pass in the last third, and having players in a certain position even if he is a decoy, but an option going forward. I would have believed that this would be part of the training program as a basic requirement, we need to put something in place where the players would have done the drills so much that it is second nature to them.

No more wrong choices in the final third, we would have won games a lot more comfortably if we knew what we were doing.

It almost feels like maybe Winks has misspoken or not really given context, surely there must be drills right? I'd be shocked if up to this point, we did not have a consistent attacking routine being put in place, but then when you look at the amount of times we waste transitions it almost seems like we don't. As much as I'm critical of Enzo something inside me refuses to believe it's as cut and dry as it sounds. 
Creative freedom is perfect especially given just how tricky our wingers can be, but you need a foundation understanding and then you allow the freedom to innovate. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

How can you when 95% of the league play a low block against you......

Counter attacking football is alway cause by the other team attacking and over committing players.

Saw today several times that the only way to coax West Brom out of their half was to do the much maligned passing around at the back, not just that, but the greater jeopardy involved in your passing around, the greater chance they take the bait and come and close down and try and steal the ball. It may look pointless, but I really do not think it is.

As you said, it’s not rocket science.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Delphine said:

Okey we get a good ball and a good result but Enzo should be more careful with his sub choices. Why we are taking Ndidi off and Casedei on?Why after we have made the first goal just a one change? We still had 4 changes. Just fresh ıt and seeking for the second..... 

Wilf was shattered. He’d run his socks off. He’s not fully fit. Plus he’s definitely carrying some sort of injury hangover. 

57 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

How can you be a counter attacking team when every team we play sticks 11 behind the ball.

Nothing to do with the players or manager, look at the goal today, Southampton away 4th goal, Norwich away 2 goal.

Team over committed and we countered.

You need the other team to come onto you to be a counter attacking team.

Not rocket science.

Yeah, exactly. Which is why I'm saying that people who are saying we should change system to a counter attacking system is simply bizarre. 

• Like 1

A frustrating match to watch. Although absolutely delighted to get the late winner. 

We played well in spells but at times we are too keen to play the ball backwards. 

When Mavididi or McAteer get the ball with space to attack i would like to see them do exactly that. On too many occasions they both received the ball and had the chance to take on their full back but instead just simply played it backwards.

Sometimes their fullback didn't even need to close them down as they could predict the next pass would be a backwards one. 

It's one area we could definitely improve in. I'm not saying they need to take on their fullbacks everytime but it would be nice to see them draw a couple of players out of position to open up the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, lee7 said:

A frustrating match to watch. Although absolutely delighted to get the late winner. 

We played well in spells but at times we are too keen to play the ball backwards. 

When Mavididi or McAteer get the ball with space to attack i would like to see them do exactly that. On too many occasions they both received the ball and had the chance to take on their full back but instead just simply played it backwards.

Sometimes their fullback didn't even need to close them down as they could predict the next pass would be a backwards one. 

It's one area we could definitely improve in. I'm not saying they need to take on their fullbacks everytime but it would be nice to see them draw a couple of players out of position to open up the pitch. 

I am generally happy... but I agree with this about the wingers. Take on the full back  bit more! Other than that, keep going.....