Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ChrisWalken456

West Brom - Post match

4 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

You’re probably right, and it’s a fair point.

Honestly, I don’t feel that we see enough of this when the chance presents (ok maybe it doesn’t always present as obviously as that today). Maybe you think differently and that’s fair enough.

We may not fully agree on your last bit being the case but we will agree it should be. There’s definitely a place for it so I think we are roughly on the same page.

FYI, I am not against the system or possession per se. I just think we need to be a bit less predictable. For what’s it’s worth, I thought KDH’s goal was an absolutely perfect example of the system and how both number 8’s should be used.

I agree, this element has certainly dropped out of our game in the last month, or at least we aren't as good at it as we used to be.  there were a few passes in the first half that were inches away from opening up their defence, but all too often they were picked off.

Today's chance was as easy a chance as we've had since Praet wasted that break early in the season, and winks almost messed it up, thankfully it went in.

I think maresca knows how good we can be when we get these chances, but as yet we seem to make a hash of them far too often - hopefully today will give them the confidence boost they seemed to need.  But it's definitely a part of the system - and this is why people talking about plan b's and so on are missing the point, the system allows for so many different ways of playing.  unfortunately, too often the countering element is a rarity because teams are just sitting deep.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...true, but it is as if we are pre-programmed, to "reset"!!!

I think the other thing to consider is that the nature of our game, generally, is to play at a, well, a leisurely pace, shall we say.  So, for me, it doesn't feel like we 'play negatively' after we score, but that we 'play normally' after we score.

Basically, the only time you'll see real urgency in the way we play is when we're chasing a late goal.

I suppose if one sees our general play as negative, then our performance after scoring a goal must also seem negative.  Whereas if one sees our general play as considered and patient, then that is how it'll be perceived after we score.  does that make sense?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

On a side note, and not a criticism at all because I think your posts have been balanced for a long time and this season you've been quite critical but also understanding of Enzo and the style, it seems in the last couple of games you've warmed to it a bit more? I'm not saying you've moved position significantly, just noticed your posts seem to be arguing a bit more in favour than they you were before, has anything changed for you?

Um, i'm a little confused here - i've been an advocate of maresca and the system since day one.  I'd go as far as to say i'm one of the 'system snobs' that people have been talking about - and, if anything, probably haven't been critical enough (though i believe it is working and good to watch, so....)

I think it can be a bit frustrating at times, but i hope that's just while the players get used to it, but other than that, no, i am and always have been 100% behind it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Exactly! And it changed because we quit doing what we were doing up to then.

They still had “great home form and the sixth best attack in the league” when we got (and stayed) on top of them from the blast of the 2H whistle. 

But did we really change the way we play - everyone complains that we are slow and boring, if that is so, then surely after we score we're just continuing in this fashion.

People are talking like we played like Spurs up until we scored and then played like, er, leicester afterwards.

We just play that same steady way, the goal didn't change anything, we just stuck to what we were doing before. the only difference being that west brom were no longer content to just sit back and watch us as they had been doing from, as you say, the start of the 2nd half (arguably for 72 minutes) - they are a good side, yes, but not a pressing side; as enzo said, they'll sit deep and then push up when they want to, which they did from time to time, but after we scored, they did it every time they had the ball.....

Edited by Lillehamring
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I think the other thing to consider is that the nature of our game, generally, is to play at a, well, a leisurely pace, shall we say.  So, for me, it doesn't feel like we 'play negatively' after we score, but that we 'play normally' after we score.

Basically, the only time you'll see real urgency in the way we play is when we're chasing a late goal.

I suppose if one sees our general play as negative, then our performance after scoring a goal must also seem negative.  Whereas if one sees our general play as considered and patient, then that is how it'll be perceived after we score.  does that make sense?

...yes it makes sense, I do find the way we play can be construed as negative but we do noticeably drop our application a few per cent when we score!!!

I have noticed it before, scoring should give the team a lift, but it appears we now have something to lose, and become extra mindful to protect it. The #8s are not making the runs and we try to hit the wingers from deep, so as not to overcommit going forward.

That is the feeling that I get when we do score, I have noticed that it has happened in other games.

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...yes it makes sense, I do find the way we play can be construed as negative but we do noticeably drop our application a few per cent when we score!!!

I have noticed it before, scoring should give the team a lift, but it appears we now have something to lose, and become extra mindful to protect it. The #8s are not making the runs and we try to hit the wingers from deep, so as not to overcommit going forward.

That is the feeling that I get when we do score, I have noticed that it has happened in other games.

Perhaps.

I'm not sure if it's a conscious decision, though - or simply a natural cautious reaction. And there are numerous games where we have scored and then gone on to score again, so i don't think it is policy to just sit back after scoring.

7 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

9 shots, 3 on target. 

Simply isn't good enough

2 on Target, I'm not having Ndidis shot as on target, was clearly going wide. 

Great result in the end. I wish we would go at teams more, when we are one up we leave ourselves vulnerable. Get 2 or 3 (if we can) before taking the foot off the gas. 

Loved to see the passion Winks and KDH showed after the goal. Amazing to see the connection this team has. After the game Coady was on the pitch bear hugging KDH. Great to watch. Enzo is instilling his football but making them all a Team which will be crucial for the season. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jv1 said:

We were absolutely crap- boring laborious backward and sideward nonsense - I don’t enjoy watching us one bit - not at all - Iv come on here a few times trying to stick up for enzo saying how much I though it was all about winning and at least it was better than watching that fraud Rodger’s and his team of charlatans- but Jesus come on it’s not even slightly fun - we must have given the ball away a hundred times today - maybe 200 - West Brom are woeful - this league is woeful - we were so bad today it’s unforgivable- no attacking threat at all - nothing - iheanacho my word couldn’t trap a bag of cement - both winger’s honking and I mean stinking - don’t even try and tell me it was good - it was horrid - I’ll always support the team and my club and what a great way to win at the end but my word it’s a painful watch- the championship is crap and we are bang average at very best 

If you can’t enjoy that win today, find a different sport.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

Um, i'm a little confused here - i've been an advocate of maresca and the system since day one.  I'd go as far as to say i'm one of the 'system snobs' that people have been talking about - and, if anything, probably haven't been critical enough (though i believe it is working and good to watch, so....)

I think it can be a bit frustrating at times, but i hope that's just while the players get used to it, but other than that, no, i am and always have been 100% behind it.

Ah fair enough! probably just seen select posts of yours, was under the impression you were on the fence!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jv1 said:

We were absolutely crap- boring laborious backward and sideward nonsense - I don’t enjoy watching us one bit - not at all - Iv come on here a few times trying to stick up for enzo saying how much I though it was all about winning and at least it was better than watching that fraud Rodger’s and his team of charlatans- but Jesus come on it’s not even slightly fun - we must have given the ball away a hundred times today - maybe 200 - West Brom are woeful - this league is woeful - we were so bad today it’s unforgivable- no attacking threat at all - nothing - iheanacho my word couldn’t trap a bag of cement - both winger’s honking and I mean stinking - don’t even try and tell me it was good - it was horrid - I’ll always support the team and my club and what a great way to win at the end but my word it’s a painful watch- the championship is crap and we are bang average at very best 

Wow, all you've proven is the drugs you take dont help

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jv1 said:

Bet your fun to be with 

• Like 1