Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ChrisWalken456

West Brom - Post match

15 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Deliberately stayed out of the match thread, it gets really toxic in there.

In general, I think we played a pretty good game against a clearly very well coached team that showed why they've been in great form recently.

For me, in this game we had a lot more nice attacking patterns of play and team moves, which was great to see. Like most fans though, I don't think we create enough chances and that's what makes the games always feel like they are on a knife-edge and why make things hard for ourselves. And I feel like the lack of chances is because of the manager's philosophy. I don't think it's as pedestrian or sideways as under Rodgers or Puel, but many times in the game it feels like we could be a bit more direct in the final third to make things happen. That said, the KDH goal was a good advert for what happens when the rehearsed patterns of play work.

Great result, I think on the overall balance of play we did deserve the win, but lucky to get away with it. One thing that is both worrying and bizarre is that after we score, we aren't good at controlling the game, even though we spend the entire match up to then doing exactly that!

Doesn't help when nacho manages just 23 touches and i'm guessing a good number of those were when he's dropping deep.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Shoots of recovery. 

Return to form

Phoenix from the ashes

Cream rises to the top

Class is permanent

:scarf:

Jumpers for goalposts

Muddy knees

Marvelous :D

love the attitude of this team to be fair but not on board onboard style at all.

Burnley are on for a record 8 losses at home today. Its hard to see anything but a similar outcome for us if we go up and play teams capable of punishing the chances and dangerous positions we constantly gift teams.

Still hoping we see some adaption from Enzo, being so predictable can't be a positive.  Theres a lot I like about him but im worried he's so far married to this style that we won't see the necessary adaption.

As I'm typing this, I just heard Enzo say the win was completely deserved 100%. I genuinely feel like I'm living in an alternative reality 😁

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

The weirdos calling for Enzo to go must be in tears. Like there are concerns with game management today and Wednesday, we looked comfortable until Casadei came on and the winks goal did save that little threat of a bottle job, but the guy has managed less than a whole championship season in his entire career, it'll take time for him to learn the adjustments and some were right to create the first goal. 

No my problem is the way we play the system, keeping it too long at the back, like I've said above when we go forward fast, it works, hopefully this win will be a positive step forward.

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thought West Brom were very cautious, do they often play so deep?

I think they were poor. Played for a point, created nothing. We gave them a sniff with some poor passing out from the back. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

We were by far the better team but still relatively toothless with this possession game before ironically a rapid counterattack won it at the death. Far from perfect, but an excellent 3 points away against a team that will likely be in the play offs. 

Ironic that, like most games this season, our possession game sets us up to win games late?

Just now, Lillehamring said:

Doesn't help when nacho manages just 23 touches and i'm guessing a good number of those were when he's dropping deep.

On paper I thought this kind of system would suit his playstyle, but it doesn't at all. 

Ndidi as an attacking 8 is a standout success and honestly a piece of managerial genius. Kelechi as a false 9... less so.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I don’t think we’ve played well this week but have taken 7 points out of a possible 9. No idea how but I’ll certainly take it. 

I thought we were very good against Watford in the second half, and the same today… be nice to do that from the start though. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

Just now, orangecity23 said:

On the Sky commentary they went on quite a bit about Corberan being ill this week. So it's most likely he's said "don't shake my hand, I'm ill!" then cleared off before he infects anyone else.

Defending like that at the end right after getting an equalizer would make me sprint off to the toilet as well tbf

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not great and somewhat a struggle again but we got the win.

What a winner, something from yesteryear! Wonderful! A thing of beauty, a really good goal!

The way we ground it out and manner of the win hopefully stops the rot and we can push on again.... :fc: 

After the wildness of the start of the season, now is the time to get used to the fact that this is going to be hard work more often than not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

On paper I thought this kind of system would suit his playstyle, but it doesn't at all. 

Ndidi as an attacking 8 is a standout success and honestly a piece of managerial genius. Kelechi as a false 9... less so.

Bit rude not to shout another phoenix, isn’t that right Mr Vestergaard   :P

I cannot quite understand how he has become quite so pivotal

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Spot on! Looked like we were settling for a 1-0 win, instead of pushing on. Ndidi stopped making the runs beyond Fatawu that produced our first goal.

I think you discredit west brom - they played how enzo predicted and when they needed to they turned up the pressure, and they are a good team.  so i'm inclined to think it is more to do with them coming out of their shell, rather than us going into ours.

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think this is completely wrong to be honest. And completely misunderstanding "the philosophy."

The whole point of passing it around between Winks, Vestergaard and Hermansen right inside our own box is to try and draw teams out so they aren't parking the bus so that we CAN move quickly through the opposition. 

The idea that Maresca doesn't want us to counter attack quickly is completely false and rather silly given the entire point of our build up is to try and create chances to counter. It's not like Rodgersball where we pass the ball sideways a thousand times in front of the opposition box is it? 

"Completely against the philosophy" would be something like bringing on a seven foot striker and lumping it at his head from every goal kick. 

Please can we fvck off with this myth thag Enzoball is negative or slow or anti fun or anti excitement. Maresca wants us to score quick, efficient goals exactly like that but you can't do it when 99% of the teams in the league are terrified of us and tend to have most of their team sat in their own box refusing to move. 

When I said that I thought it was an excellent way for a game football to end where BOTH managers are renowned for a specific style. I’m not a big advocate for the Man C/tippy tap style. That doesn’t mean it’s wrong it just means I’d rather watch gegenpress and Liverpool over Man C when it’s on, of course no manager, regardless of style wants to be slow and turgid in their approach.

I have a lot of faith in Enzo and him being our manager - see some of my post this week. The style hasn’t never been something I’ve enjoyed, regardless of manager and that is absolutely fine. There’s plenty in the profession who don’t appreciate it. However, again, scoring from a transition and quick counter was just excellent way to end a game governed by two purists. I don’t know why some are so sensitive to a bit of tongue in cheek on this forum. Enzo out is not a thing and nor should it be! 

edit: just to add to this, he is a manager who to me has brought an incredible amount of professionalism to the club. Something I’ve felt lacking for some time. His reaction to the goal today was incredible. I’ve got a lot of time for Enzo and want him to be successful. I’ll have digs at the style and sometimes be over critical but I’m a long way away from me anywhere the disdain I had for Rodgers and don’t I ever will get to that level for another manager. 

Genuinely I was over the moon at the win and the fact it was a transition goal given what was said a few weeks ago by Enzo. Enjoy the game, it isn’t that deep. And passing at the back is boring and makes me nervous.

Edited by Mickyblueeyes