Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

FA Cup Third Round

3 hours ago, MPH said:

Last time I went to Millwall away their fans left headless dead chickens all along the route to the stadium. Nice of them to worry about us being hungry I suppose but they left the feathers on which was inconvenient.

I've spoken of it before, but I went to the '85 cup game, and the walk from New Cross station to The Den was a surreal experience

Edited by CheeseHead

12 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Crap nothing draw for us really. Bigger fish to fry this season though.

Stand out games Sunderland v Newcastle and Wigan v Man Utd.

Next tier of interesting ones with a lower league side at home of interest such as Posh v Leeds, Ramsgate/Wimbledon v Ipswich and Middlesbrough v Villa.

Nothing else of interest apart from that really.

The fish you fry, is in the Vat you are competing in.. We are a professional club..!!  Respect the sport & game you are in.. 

7 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

The fish you fry, is in the Vat you are competing in.. We are a professional club..!!  Respect the sport & game you are in.. 

That was not intended as disrespect to the competition. 

My view on the FA cup is when in the Premier League, it’s a real chance to win the competition and get into Europe as a result. 

As a lower league side, it’s chance to go up against big sides you would not normally face and of course, the revenue from a cup run.

I see us as in the middle and not really benefitting from these. It’s unlikely as a Championship side we go all the way, let’s be honest. Although the revenue is helpful, it’s going to pale into insignificance compared to going up. And I’m really not fussed for playing a ‘big side’. Quite nice to have a break from them this season to be honest.

So yeah, more than I just think meh about getting through a round or two. Just this year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

This logic is sound.

I get a bit grumpy with people dismissing the cup when we’re in the top flight as trophies are rare and wonderful things. Chances of winning are still slim, but you can give yourself a chance as we did in 2021. 

A team outside the top flight, however, hasn’t won it since 1980. I’m not excited or interested about playing a “big” club. Promotion is the one and only goal this season. This time it’s just a run out for our peripheral players for me.

Absolutely, I am the same when in the top flight. I was not aware of the stat you have given there about 1980 though! I know some lower league sides have made it quite far in recent ish memory (Cardiff and Barnsley come to mind and Sheffield United when they have been in the championship/League 1).

Don’t get me wrong, take a Preston or Bristol City who haven’t been in the top flight for a long time, or even Ipswich, there will be a novelty of playing the bigs sides.

But we’ve had years worth of draws hoping to avoid that to give ourselves an easier path through to the latter rounds. 

9 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Absolutely, I am the same when in the top flight. I was not aware of the stat you have given there about 1980 though! I know some lower league sides have made it quite far in recent ish memory (Cardiff and Barnsley come to mind and Sheffield United when they have been in the championship/League 1).

Don’t get me wrong, take a Preston or Bristol City who haven’t been in the top flight for a long time, or even Ipswich, there will be a novelty of playing the bigs sides.

But we’ve had years worth of draws hoping to avoid that to give ourselves an easier path through to the latter rounds. 

Sunderland 73, Southampton 76, West Ham 80 won it but in the final since QPR 82, Sunderland 92, Millwall 04, Cardiff 08 ALL lost

If we can make the 6th round that'd be great, couple of nice aways,  but look at what Man C did you Burnley in the cup last year 6-0 in the quarters

10 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

Sunderland 73, Southampton 76, West Ham 80 won it but in the final since QPR 82, Sunderland 92, Millwall 04, Cardiff 08 ALL lost

If we can make the 6th round that'd be great, couple of nice aways,  but look at what Man C did you Burnley in the cup last year 6-0 in the quarters

Also worth saying, if we have a storming December and build up a massive gaps on those below, the cup run will become of interest again. I suppose in a way, some middling premier league sides would be interesting to see where we are at if we are looking good still to be back up there next season.

2 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

That was not intended as disrespect to the competition. 

My view on the FA cup is when in the Premier League, it’s a real chance to win the competition and get into Europe as a result. 

As a lower league side, it’s chance to go up against big sides you would not normally face and of course, the revenue from a cup run.

I see us as in the middle and not really benefitting from these. It’s unlikely as a Championship side we go all the way, let’s be honest. Although the revenue is helpful, it’s going to pale into insignificance compared to going up. And I’m really not fussed for playing a ‘big side’. Quite nice to have a break from them this season to be honest.

So yeah, more than I just think meh about getting through a round or two. Just this year.

There is never a season given, never a season where

" Just this year" is acceptable. 

# 1 you kill the Romance

# 2 allow cup games to    play/introduce  some fringe or the odd Academy player. 

# 3 One doesn't ever believe you       cant win it.!  

# 4.. & allows one to test or prove     ones system &  Squad.

Confucius say, 

Man thinks..

OK for shit to happen-will decompose. 

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

What sort of allocation might we get for this?

1 hour ago, The boy Linacre said:

Will we get about 3000?  15% of 20146??

Will it reach ALL STH's??

FA Cup ruling 15%. I'm sure that will be both tiers? Last time we were there in the FA Cup I was in the bottom tier but for league games I've only ever been top tier.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

FA Cup ruling 15%. I'm sure that will be both tiers? Last time we were there in the FA Cup I was in the bottom tier but for league games I've only ever been top tier.

One of the all time aways that one, result aside of course.

Millwall and Sevilla away in the space of a few days, incredible stuff.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sir Steve Howard said:

One of the all time aways that one, result aside of course.

Millwall and Sevilla away in the space of a few days, incredible stuff.

Over the course of four days, I missed the last train back to Leicester from London and took a coach back arriving at 3am.

Then in Seville, ended up on the day before the game in a lock in until 5am, got chucked out of our hotel including me pulling the architrave off the wardrobe door thinking it was the bathroom door. Didn’t realise this until 4pm on the day of the game that we chucked out when Booking.com emailed me asking for a review 

Went to game, watched a mate getting batoned and arrested.

Then flew back the next day at 8am and had to contend with the most arse dropping landing I’ve ever experienced. 

Good times - Rome had a good go with another lock in and nearly falling through the bed frame when it broke the morning after 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

There is never a season given, never a season where

" Just this year" is acceptable. 

# 1 you kill the Romance

# 2 allow cup games to    play/introduce  some fringe or the odd Academy player. 

# 3 One doesn't ever believe you       cant win it.!  

# 4.. & allows one to test or prove     ones system &  Squad.

Confucius say, 

Man thinks..

OK for shit to happen-will decompose. 

Playing devils advocate, does point 2 not cause point 1? 

But yeah, I’m not saying don’t turn up, just saying based on what I see is most valuable about the cup, I’m not too fussed if we don’t go far this year. Normally I’m really up for the cup and do want a good run.

As I say in a subsequent post, I’d be more interested to see how we would get on if we played some middle premier league sides to see how we compare. Or lower league sides for the experience. Millwall is meh.

I wish they'd do away with drawing teams from the same league up to the third round. For the majority of teams the cups are about facing a different team, it's absolutely soul destroying drawing a team from the same league.

It would of course have to be computerised because the draw would be chaos if they tried to do it manually with balls haha

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I wish they'd do away with drawing teams from the same league up to the third round. For the majority of teams the cups are about facing a different team, it's absolutely soul destroying drawing a team from the same league.

It would of course have to be computerised because the draw would be chaos if they tried to do it manually with balls haha

That's a great shout. In the 3rd round you have to draw someone from a different league. Would be easily doable and could revive some interest in the cup

Reluctantly not too fussed about the cup this year. As someone mentioned earlier, we won't win it but equally we won't be really bothered as a fan base if we drew Man United or Arsenal at home for example because we've out performed them in the last 6 or 7 years. 

The focus has to be promotion at all costs this season. 

• Like 1

Think these will be the tv picks

Sunderland v Newcastle

Arsenal v Liverpool

Man City v Huddersfield (don't ask why? but will)

Middlesbrough v Aston Villa

Chelsea v Preston (They love showing Chelsea stuffing someone)

Wigan v Man Utd

Shrewsbury v Wrexham (if wrexham make it, they'll find space on schedule to show them off and hoping to catch glimpse of their hollywood owners) 

Edited by Leicesterpool