Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Why Is Everywhere Listing Our 3rd Goal on Wednesday As Ricardo’s and not Ndidi’s?

Feel like I’m going crazy seeing everywhere including the history section here listing it as Ricardo’s goal. Unless it is some completely bizarre trick of the camera it’s very clearly and uncontroversially Ndidi’s goal to me. At the angle at 1:20 here you can clearly see it comes off Ndidi. I can only think it’s a case of mistaken identity or people not checking that camera angle as to why it’s listed on so many sources as Ricardo’s goal

Edited by Sampson

It will most likely be given to Wilf which is a shame as he didn't know anything about it. It wasn't a deliberate attempt to score or involve any technique whereas Ricardo's was. The original shot was on target and we'll never know if the keeper would've saved it. If it deflected off a defender then surely Ricky would be credited. 

OP is dead right and it's baffling anyone else thinks that way. It's not Ricardo's goal.

The whole David Nugent thing for England would never have happened if the "original shot" was on target thing was true.

I was on the back row behind the goal and saw it strike Wilf on Wednesday, so not sure why there's such revisionism.

47 minutes ago, brucey said:

Was the initial shot on target? Looks to me like it was probably going just wide? 

Irrelevant. Whoever it hits last get's the goal. They only ignore the final touch if it's on target and hits a defending player (otherwise a lot of goals would go down as own goals)

2 hours ago, Bert said:

Yeah Sampson is right. 

If it hits a defender and is on target it would go down as Ricardo, but because it comes off a team mate it goes down as N’Didi. 

The ball hits N’Didi and completely changes direction. The most unintentional goal he will ever score in his career, but it goes down as his. 

To throw a hypothetical scenario up, if N’Didi is in an offside position the goal gets ruled out, because it clearly hits him. 

Come on Bert - you’ve watched wilf play for 7 years now - every chance that he’ll surpass that with the ball at his feet 😄

• Haha 1

Unless there's been a rule change that I've missed, that's 100% Ndidi's goal. I've literally never seen one awarded to anyone other than the final touch by a player of the same team, intentional or otherwise. And in this case the goal almost certainly doesn't happen without the touch, so it's fairly straightforward. Does Gerry Taggart (for fellow Foxeshub sufferers) decide who our goalscorers are now?

If there had been a rule change, it would have to be along the lines of 'unintentional deflections by any player (as opposed to opposition only) of a goalbound shot are not deemed decisive in the attribution of a scorer'. Or perhaps there was something illegal in Wilf's contact which I missed, and there's a rule change involving illegal contacts on (incorrectly awarded) goals where there's a deflection. But like I say, I don't think he was offside from what I recall, nor that the ball went anywhere near his arm.

It's potentially important because of the huge amounts of money won and lost by people who gamble on this sort of thing. It might not be this instance, but if someone someday stood to win or lose a significant amount based on the incorrect awarding of a goal, you might end up with some raised eyebrows.

There’s nothing in the laws of the game and nothing in the EFL Handbook that give any guidance on how goals should be awarded to individual players. So, for anyone that’s 100% certain that it’s Ndidi’s goal: it’s probably a good idea to take that down a few percentage points. At this point, the EFL probably doesn’t consider this a big enough deal to review.

• Like 1